Would 6-6 be an improvement?

I actually think 6-6 would be disappointing considering the favorable schedule. There are already 6 games on schedule that are legitimately winnable and we'll probably be favored in. There are 3 games that are tossups and could go either way. And there 3 are games that are extremely unlikely that we will win. So if our realistic range of wins falls somewhere between 6-6 being the floor and 9-3 being the ceiling, I'd say if we finish 6-6 that's really not saying much.

Games we should win:

Bowling Green
Pitt
Tennessee Tech
South Carolina
South Alabama
Vanderbilt

Games that are tossups:

Ole Miss
Missouri
Kentucky

Games that we are unlikely to win:

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
I think Pitt could give us fits

7303510f7883bb20ccabd4e97fc97d77.gif

Just what I expected

I know alot of fans are being "realistic" on their opinions for this up coming season and rightfully so, but damn wouldn't it be nice to over achieve for a change, we've underachieved so much maybe this is the year 🤞

We will ...

I have no data but feel comfortable saying this team has enough talent even now that with above average coaching will be better than 2-6 in the SEC.

With average coaching last season we win 6 conference games. And while i dont KNOW the CJH has a better than average coaching staff...i at this point believe he does. Time will tell and if Im wrong..the so be it. But for now it appears to me that this staff is better than the last one and more prepared to step in and move in the right direction.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Doesn’t matter. 6 is more than 3. So given what has transpired in the past few months, I would absolutely consider 6 wins an improvement.

I can except 2-6 in conference play this year.
So you would be a proponent of (one day) having a 13-0 Mountain West Champion into the playoff over a 12-1 Tennessee because ‘13 wins is more than 12’, and there’s ‘no asterisk next to the 13 wins’?

If you can look at the end of a 6-6 season and say we have a legit HC and the Boys (team) did not give up, then it will be an improvement.

It follows if a win is a win, then a loss is a loss.

With your logic, a loss to Ga State is the same as a loss to Alabama. Is there an asterisk beside those losses? No. Utterly ridiculous.

It is. It’s still a loss. Whether your team is ranked #1 or 100. When you lose you lose. It shows up in the loss column the same.

7-9 wins is very optimistic. Sorry but I don't see it, jmho
Very true we should get the 3 cupcakes, Vandy and South Carolina that would give us 5 wins the other 4 are Pitt, Mizz, Ole Miss, and Kentucky those by the time they are played could be looked at as really close toss up games for either team. It's hard to say right now yes I agree as of right now it's hard to see but after all the position question are answered and the season start who know as it had been proved many times crazier things have happened.

Reactions: UTNoFear
You got to find a QB.. Tennessee hasn't had one since Dobbs. For whatever reason Pruitt hitched his wagon to JG and the hitch broke.. Heupel can help himself with developing or finding someone who can help them score more than 20 points twice a year.. Pruitt's offense was offensive.

Very true we should get the 3 cupcakes, Vandy and South Carolina that would give us 5 wins the other 4 are Pitt, Mizz, Ole Miss, and Kentucky those by the time they are played could be looked at as really close toss up games for either team. It's hard to say right now yes I agree as of right now it's hard to see but after all the position question are answered and the season start who know as it had been proved many times crazier things have happened.

Very true, a lot on the table and the deck hasn't been dealt. I agree!!!!!

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
I don't know about everyone else but I'm not so much focused on wins this year. We wanted JG, Pruitt, and all non committed players gone, so that is done. I think if you can just mentally decide to enjoy the year, the full stadiums, the new offense, the new coaches, the Ole Miss game, and the new players that you will have more fun. We are not going to win the East, but if you want to focus on # of wins I think 6 would be great.

But, for me this is going to be a fun year to watch all of college football with the crowds and the transfers of players. There are going to be some surprise players all over the country, and hopefully some surprise teams, and I can bet you there can be much fun as a TN fan if you choose to. If you do not choose to, then you can very well be miserable.
If you are a true college football fan this is going be a fun year.......Cant wait!

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I don't know about everyone else but I'm not so much focused on wins this year. We wanted JG, Pruitt, and all non committed players gone, so that is done. I think if you can just mentally decide to enjoy the year, the full stadiums, the new offense, the new coaches, the Ole Miss game, and the new players that you will have more fun. We are not going to win the East, but if you want to focus on # of wins I think 6 would be great.

But, for me this is going to be a fun year to watch all of college football with the crowds and the transfers of players. There are going to be some surprise players all over the country, and hopefully some surprise teams, and I can bet you there can be much fun as a TN fan if you choose to. If you do not choose to, then you can very well be miserable.
If you are a true college football fan this is going be a fun year.......Cant wait!
you have more fun win youre winning :)

Pruitt is gone because he's an idiot that hired other idiots, who couldn't cheat without getting caught. It had nothing to do with the fans, or our various sentiments regarding JG, or Pruitt's insistence on playing him without ever having any sort of actual QB competition. Had Pruitt not been so dumb, the most likely scenario, is that Pruitt is here for 2 more years, and JG is our starting QB in 2021.

That being said, we have Heupel now, and we're rolling the dice again on a new coaching staff, and a new system. It may work, it may not, but success at UT is always going to be measured in how many SEC games Heupel manages to win. Beating up on Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, or even Pitt isn't going to cut it unless he's winning conference games as well.

For all practical purposes Heupel's going to get a pass in 2021 so whether or not he is "successful" by any measure of the word, is moot, so none of us need to try to pretend that 2-6 conference record is a "successful" season if that's how it plays out.

I am excited about full on football season being back! Whatever the record, next season will be an improvement to last season!

Pruitt is gone because he's an idiot that hired other idiots, who couldn't cheat without getting caught. It had nothing to do with the fans, or our various sentiments regarding JG, or Pruitt's insistence on playing him without ever having any sort of actual QB competition. Had Pruitt not been so dumb, the most likely scenario, is that Pruitt is here for 2 more years, and JG is our starting QB in 2021.

That being said, we have Heupel now, and we're rolling the dice again on a new coaching staff, and a new system. It may work, it may not, but success at UT is always going to be measured in how many SEC games Heupel manages to win. Beating up on Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, or even Pitt isn't going to cut it unless he's winning conference games as well.

For all practical purposes Heupel's going to get a pass in 2021 so whether or not he is "successful" by any measure of the word, is moot, so none of us need to try to pretend that 2-6 conference record is a "successful" season if that's how it plays out.

Regardless of why Pruitt is gone, I think we wanted him gone, same for JG. I’m not saying 2-6 is successful season. I’m just preparing myself for a rebuilding year and trying enjoy it best I can.
I predict you are going to have a sad and frustrating season.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Regardless of why Pruitt is gone, I think we wanted him gone, same for JG. I’m not saying 2-6 is successful season. I’m just preparing myself for a rebuilding year and trying enjoy it best I can.
I predict you are going to have a sad and frustrating season.

If for anything Heupel actually seems to coach to win, rather than to "not lose". I believe Pruitt's brand of football is probably the most unenjoyable football I've ever watched.

I think because of this offense we have a real shot at 7-9 wins no doubt. I think this season could be like 2016.
I know this is counterintuitive, but it's very possible we score a lot of points this season and the offense is still not "good."

A lot of hollow points that don't affect the W/L record.

VN Store

Back