Would 6-6 be an improvement?

Nope. We would have beaten Missouri or SC at any point last year.

Naw, that team quit on Pruitt early in the season. We won a 50/50 game against USCe and Mizzou was a completely different team once they found a QB. Once this team quit on Pruitt, we weren't going to win or even keep it within single digits of another SEC team except a historically bad Vandy team.....

Naw, that team quit on Pruitt early in the season. We won a 50/50 game against USCe and Mizzou was a completely different team once they found a QB. Once this team quit on Pruitt, we weren't going to win or even keep it within single digits of another SEC team except a historically bad Vandy team.....

Disagree

6-6, IMO, would only be an improvement if UT didn't get hammered against UF, Bama, & UGA. If those losses are by 20+, then no. It's really not an improvement.

Yes it would.

If Vandy had fielded any team they’ve had in the last 10 years they’d waxed Pruitts team in 2020. Vandy fielded an intramural team basically. if Tennessee had played Mizzou two weeks later or anytime after, they’d beat Pruitt also. The team basically quit playing for Pruitt.

Winning 6 would be about the same but the team would appear to have some interest if so. They had basically none the last 8 games in 20.
I agree the team seemed to lay down, but when Pruitt left it was like they were losing the best coach ever and followed him out the door. I just never really understood the logic? But who knows what is going through players heads now a days.

So he was supposed to go undefeated every year?
When did I say that? I merely pointed out UCF got worse as more of his recruits got in. We always point at this with opposing teams coaches or our past coaches but now our current coach is immune to criticism? He could end up being incredible, I hope so. But his tenure at UCF where they regressed each season doesn’t make Me confident.

I agree the team seemed to lay down, but when Pruitt left it was like they were losing the best coach ever and followed him out the door. I just never really understood the logic? But who knows what is going through players heads now a days.

He was a good friend of the players but they obviously either didn’t respect him or didn’t make the commitment to win. Some who left were his “pets”.

I go back to his first game. They played like they couldn’t have cared less.

Reactions: chvolman
I actually think 6-6 would be disappointing considering the favorable schedule. There are already 6 games on schedule that are legitimately winnable and we'll probably be favored in. There are 3 games that are tossups and could go either way. And there 3 are games that are extremely unlikely that we will win. So if our realistic range of wins falls somewhere between 6-6 being the floor and 9-3 being the ceiling, I'd say if we finish 6-6 that's really not saying much.

Games we should win:

Bowling Green
Pitt
Tennessee Tech
South Carolina
South Alabama
Vanderbilt

Games that are tossups:

Ole Miss
Missouri
Kentucky

Games that we are unlikely to win:

Florida
Georgia
Alabama

Im thinking right now that we lay 1 egg in the shoulda wins, and pick up 1 win in the tossups, for 6-6. 6 wins is little real improvement over last seasons allSEC schedule. So, I'm looking more intently at our ability and preparedness to NOT get humiliated early in the 3 guaranteed losses.

Nick Satan was 6-6 in his first year at that school south of us that he is still at. I would consider that a success seeing what followed. So there's that.

We can't climb out of obscurity and rebuild the program with a coach who can't win the games he should win. I keep seeing the "we can't rebuild replacing coaches every 3-4 years" line but nobody has been able to name a coach we fired too soon.

I agree we don't have a firing problem, but we have had a real hiring problem lately.

Reactions: hog88
I try to stay optimistic, but prolly need to move 3 of the likely to win to the tossup category. Fact is, we have no clue what kind of team we field this year. New coach, depleted roster, let’s set the bar pretty low, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Life is better lived with daily optimism and a little disappointment than daily pessimism and a little satisfaction..

Reactions: FïreBall
Life is better lived with daily optimism and a little disappointment than daily pessimism and a little satisfaction..

I don’t know. I was very optimistic at the beginning of last season. As the season progressed I got beat down. Ended up homeless huffing Jenkem under a bridge only a shell of my former self. I prefer to now look at life with a cornbread wild eyebrow and maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Time will tell.

A 6-6 season similar to Ole Miss’s last year would make me happy. UM wasn’t a great team but they were a lot of fun to watch and scored a ton of points.

I just want to watch our Vols and actually enjoy what I see, even if it’s a loss. Not see a plodding offense that has horrible QB play.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Nope. We would have beaten Missouri or SC at any point last year.
Not sure but I do believe people are more impressed with Mizzou's "turnaround" than they should be. They beat an LSU team that wasn't very good early in the season. They beat UK. But the supposed "great" improvement over the last half was a 17-10 win over a really bad USCe team, a blowout of Vandy (who didn't?), a 50-48 win over Arkansas... and then being handled by both UGA and MSU.

I'm a little confused too by those who say they got better once they found their QB. Bazalek played in every game and had 324 attempts. The QB with the 2nd most had 29 total. His stats show no clear line of progression. Three of his 6 season INT's came in the last game. I like him. I think he has talent. But neither Bazalek nor Mizzou impress me like they do others here.

The only perception of Mizzou that some here have is the last few years of Pinkel when the SEC East was way down. Those years were anomalies in the history of Mizzou football. What we've seen over the last 6 years is more normal... and maybe still on the high side.

Mizzou has a uniquely bad recruiting location which made Pinkel's ability to find and develop diamonds in the rough very impressive. To draw talent from Texas, players have to drive by every Texas school plus OU and OSU. There is no place they need to recruit that does not have many schools between there and Columbia with better facilities and history. In state talent is hampered even more than normal by how schools and HS football are organized. I was amazed at how many 50-100 student high schools there are that could very easily be consolidated into schools of 500-800. Except for the urban areas, that is true all the way up their athletic classes. Many schools and some with 300-400 students do not even offer football or play 8 man.

In short... Mizzou isn't likely to maintain even a mid-tier status year over year.

Not sure but I do believe people are more impressed with Mizzou's "turnaround" than they should be. They beat an LSU team that wasn't very good early in the season. They beat UK. But the supposed "great" improvement over the last half was a 17-10 win over a really bad USCe team, a blowout of Vandy (who didn't?), a 50-48 win over Arkansas... and then being handled by both UGA and MSU.

I'm a little confused too by those who say they got better once they found their QB. Bazalek played in every game and had 324 attempts. The QB with the 2nd most had 29 total. His stats show no clear line of progression. Three of his 6 season INT's came in the last game. I like him. I think he has talent. But neither Bazalek nor Mizzou impress me like they do others here.

The only perception of Mizzou that some here have is the last few years of Pinkel when the SEC East was way down. Those years were anomalies in the history of Mizzou football. What we've seen over the last 6 years is more normal... and maybe still on the high side.

Mizzou has a uniquely bad recruiting location which made Pinkel's ability to find and develop diamonds in the rough very impressive. To draw talent from Texas, players have to drive by every Texas school plus OU and OSU. There is no place they need to recruit that does not have many schools between there and Columbia with better facilities and history. In state talent is hampered even more than normal by how schools and HS football are organized. I was amazed at how many 50-100 student high schools there are that could very easily be consolidated into schools of 500-800. Except for the urban areas, that is true all the way up their athletic classes. Many schools and some with 300-400 students do not even offer football or play 8 man.

In short... Mizzou isn't likely to maintain even a mid-tier status year over year.

Under Drinkwitz, Missouri only had 2 players from Texas in their 2021 class, and currently has zero Texas recruits in their 2022 class; the top recruits in both classes are from Missouri.

Under Drinkwitz, Missouri only had 2 players from Texas in their 2021 class, and currently has zero Texas recruits in their 2022 class; the top recruits in both classes are from Missouri.
I've been watching them long enough to know that many of their best players have come from FL and OH oddly enough. Texas is the closest place with lots of talent.

Reactions: chrismc1000
How much of a career do you need with $69 mil?

He's already making $4million/year at Iowa State, you could ask the same question with his current salary, and he doesn't have to live in Detroit, which is probably worth $1 million/year unto itself.

Besides,$68.5 million is if he works out the full 8 years, given the Lion's front office, he'd probably make it 3 before being fired.

He's already making $4million/year at Iowa State, you could ask the same question with his current salary, and he doesn't have to live in Detroit, which is probably worth $1 million/year unto itself.

Besides,$68.5 million is if he works out the full 8 years, given the Lion's front office, he'd probably make it 3 before being fired.

I believe his 69 mil would be guaranteed.

Ames Iowa vs Detroit. Hell is still hell whether it is a cornfield or a rusting factory.

And, sure he's not starving and he's likely to get canned and bought out in 3-4 years..... but then he's still young, he's doubled his salary for 3-4 years, and he's not fully ruined his college coaching career. The Nick Saban coaching rehab center will probably be closed but the Dabo Swinney facility will be in full swing by then.

VN Store

Back