Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

Probably Manning. In 2000, I lucked out and was given tickets to a Colts Monday night game against the Bills. Great seats at the 40 about 20 rows up. The size and speed difference between college and the pros was eye opening. Manning was still learning and wasn't spectacular (13-24 for 132 yards according to NFL archives) but you could sense that the Colts were building something. Interestingly, 3 players from the National Championship team saw action in that game, Manning and the Bills' Shawn Bryson (15 carries/45 yards) and Peerless Price (8/93 yards/TD). All Tennessee legends.

Pistol Pete was the best athlete I ever saw. Teams tripled teamed him and he still scored 40.
H. Walker the best football player. Only reason Georgia won that natty.
Bobby Majors was the best I ever played against in HS and the best VFL imho

Where did you play at? He played at least one year at my high school, Castle Heights, but he graduated the year before I got there. Incredible all around athlete from the record books.

Was 1st Team All Mid-South ( conference of private schools, mostly military, that allowed 1 post-graduate year) in 4 sports. Most of the football PG players were pure mercenary. They typically came from small towns and were looking for exposure to attract college recruiters. They typically disappeared after the last game of the year, but there were some who came and stayed.

The conference had incredible athletes, Big John Hannah, one of the greatest OL of all times went to Baylor in Chattanooga as did Roscoe Tanner the tennis player who played in the Wimbleton finals and had the fastest serve of his time. Baylor and McCallie were the high end because of all the Coca-Cola and Lookout Mountain money. But it was known that Majors was the best of them all.

His one man take down of Penn State in 1971 (a team that had Jack Ham, Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell among others) is must see viewing for any Vol fan.

Oh and if it had been Majors and not a freshman Bill Bates that hit Herschel Walker, he would have gone down. One thing about those Majors boys, there was never any quit in them.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Weirdly, I never got to see him play basketball, but I did get to watch him play baseball against - I can't remember if the Smokies were still the KJays or not - when he played for the Birmingham Barons.

I also got see Kevin Durant play in high school when he went to Oak Hill Academy., he seemed like he was going to be pretty good, lol.
I lived in Austin and got to see KD play while he was at the other UT with coach Barnes.

Reactions: TNVOLFN
1. Peyton
2. Leonard Little
3. Al Wilson
4. Eric Berry
5. Hendon Hooker (2 years of phenomenal play)

High school: LaMarcus Coker (Antioch)
College: Mike Vick (VaTech)
Pro Game: Tom Brady (Patriots)

I’ve seen so many but none better than Condredge Holloway.
Eric Berry or Henson Hooker for College.

Lamarcus Coker for high school. Seemed that guy scored every time he touched the ball

Reactions: MAD

I’ve seen so many but none better than Condredge Holloway.
Eric Berry or Henson Hooker for College.

Lamarcus Coker for high school. Seemed that guy scored every time he touched the ball

A little shout out to Chris Lofton. He could absolutely take over, turn the momentum, or ice the game from anywhere on the court. Were it not for his health setback and a couple of inches in height, he would have been an NBA Hall of Fame candidate.

Standing 20ft away watching him throw a football Joe Milton is the most physically gift QB in terms of arm talent I have ever seen

Non Vol- Bo Jackson- but I was little
Non Skill Player- Larry Allen
Vol- I think people forget how good Jamal Lewis was

College Football Manning
Pro Football Tom Brady
Baseball Yaz
College Hockey Ken Dryden (Cornell)
Pro Hockey Bobby Orr
College Basketball Penny Hardaway
Pro Basketball Michael Jordan
Softball Eddie"The King" Feigner "The King and his Court."
Golf.. Jack, Tiger, Arnie..Tough to pick one

Where did you play at? He played at least one year at my high school, Castle Heights, but he graduated the year before I got there. Incredible all around athlete from the record books.

Was 1st Team All Mid-South ( conference of private schools, mostly military, that allowed 1 post-graduate year) in 4 sports. Most of the football PG players were pure mercenary. They typically came from small towns and were looking for exposure to attract college recruiters. They typically disappeared after the last game of the year, but there were some who came and stayed.

The conference had incredible athletes, Big John Hannah, one of the greatest OL of all times went to Baylor in Chattanooga as did Roscoe Tanner the tennis player who played in the Wimbleton finals and had the fastest serve of his time. Baylor and McCallie were the high end because of all the Coca-Cola and Lookout Mountain money. But it was known that Majors was the best of them all.

His one man take down of Penn State in 1971 (a team that had Jack Ham, Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell among others) is must see viewing for any Vol fan.

Oh and if it had been Majors and not a freshman Bill Bates that hit Herschel Walker, he would have gone down. One thing about those Majors boys, there was never any quit in them.

I played for Tullahoma. Played against Bobby when he was at Winchester his freshman year. He transferred to Castle Heights after that season. Bobby introduced me to the stiff arm on a kick return. lmao

VN Store

Back