Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

Peyton is the best but most electrifying was Rocket Ismail. I saw Gault and several other sprinters but Rocket was electric with his quickness and immediate speed. It was like he was flying on his second step.

I saw Gault many times in HS in person. Same HS and I was 4 years behind. His speed even then was epic, and not truly imagineable unless you were trackside watching during track practice. Us JV runners were not allowed to even have a toe on the track when Gault and the other tracksters were at practice. "We hadn't earned the right" to be on the same track as we were told. Watching him come out of the 2nd leg on the 4x400 was mezmerising to say the least. And the fact that he has still been turning sub 11 sec 100 meters into his 60's.....By those standards, his sustained freakish DNA in my opinion makes him like the greatest athlete alive.

He ran a 9.9 sec 100 yard dash (GA HS had not yet converted to meters in 1979). State record. Won the fastest man in GA title. That was unheard of back then and they did it with clean blood. Record stood for 4 years till Ronie Dennis (my class and homeroom) broke it with a 9.8 100 yard also winning fastest man in GA 1983.

I would also argue to just pick a Griffin High School football player from the 70's and 80's and you were watching greatness. School is top 40 in the country for alumni in the NFL (22+), and the only school in GA even ranked nationally. Jesse Tuggle (LB - Falcons) also comes to mind. The Hammer.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
Best player seen in person: Johnny Unitas
Best non-UT players seen at UT games: Kenny Stabler (1966 at my second UT game), Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker
Best UT players seen at UT games: Stanley Morgan (I believe still all time All Purpose Yards leader with rushing, receiving, kickoff and punt returns), Peyton, Reggie, Willie (who ran all the way to the state capital!), Al Wilson. I'm sure I have omitted some as well.

The idea that Ratliff “pushed” the Arkansas lineman into Stoener is a myth that never dies. Go watch the film. The Ark lineman tripped Stoener before Ratliff ever makes contact with him.

Don’t get me wrong, I count my lucky stars that it happened. But that was a total fluke play that went in our favor, not some outstanding effort by Ratliff. Nothing against Ratliff, he was a great player.
Actually Brandon Burlsworth stepped on Stoeners foot when the ball was snapped causing him to trip and try to hold himself up with the ball and he lost it when he fell.

Anyways…watch the movie Greater. Good movie.

I saw and talked with Brooks Robinson in person. Not playing, but my dad and I went and picked him up at the airport in Huntsville, AL back in 1974. He was the speaker for what IBM called the Watson Trophy Dinner (you old IBMers will know what that is). My dads job was to find a speaker for the dinner. Others I met during my youth that way in previous years: Bob Hayes, Billy Welu, Bobby Richardson, Dave McNally.

Actually Brandon Burlsworth stepped on Stoeners foot when the ball was snapped causing him to trip and try to hold himself up with the ball and he lost it when he fell.

Anyways…watch the movie Greater. Good movie.
Burlsworth was desperately trying to block Ratliff; did not get it done. Thank you Billy for putting those dominoes in motion, not to mention, ending up with the football.

I never saw a better running back than Terry Vanzant. He was simply electrifying every time he touched the ball!

Terry Vanzant was an awesome high school running back. Did he end up going to TSU?

Franklin County had some great teams back in those days.

Randy Moss
Brett Favre
LeBron
Played pickup against Tracy McGrady once.

I was at the 2002 homecoming game against Miami. I’m sure someone on that team could qualify .

VN Store

Back