Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

Mine as well. He was an athlete like no other of his day. I saw him play minor league baseball with the then Memphis Chicks double AA team. He hit a routine ground ball straight to the shortstop who fielded it cleanly. He made a routine throw to 1at base for the out.
However we’re not talking about a routine player. He beat that throw rather easily. I’ve not seen anything like it before or since.
We saw some great athletes come through with and against those Memphis Chicks didn’t we? When the Chicks were an Expos farm club they were loaded with future MLB talent. I saw HOFer Bob Gibson several times over the years. UT Football: Reggie White and Jamal Lewis were incredible athletes.

Reactions: MAD and Remy
DL - Reggie White
QB - Peyton
RB - Jamal Lewis and Chuck Webb
DB - Patrick Peterson
DE/LB - Robert "Dr. Doom" Brazile
WR - Julio Jones

Reactions: MAD
On the football field, definitely Reggie White.

But the most extraordinary athletic feat I've witnessed live was when I was attending UT and went to a track meet in 1982, I believe. We were down on the track, and the 100 meter race featured Carl Lewis (Houston), Stanley Floyd (Houston), Willie Gault, and Herschel Walker. Lewis won going away, but the remarkable thing was seeing Walker finish in the middle of the pack amidst all of these high level sprinters. Watching a guy built like a linebacker move that fast is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in sports.
Walker was before my time so I never saw him play in person, but the man was incredible. And not to take anything away from my Dawgs of the early 80s, they were very good. I’m not sure how many teams would have become instant title contenders with Walker back then, but the list is pretty long I imagine. He was the very definition of a game changing player. Just a freak athlete

College Football: Peyton; Jamal Lewis
NFL: Tony Dorset; Eli Manning
Basketball: Bernard King
Baseball: Hank Aaron; Greg Maddux

(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.
I still get chills from that game and not from remembering the cold rain that fell throughout the game. I never have and never will see another game like that, not in person. That was a once in a lifetime experience. My buddy left in the 2nd quarter but I stayed the whole time and I’m so glad I did.

Michael Vick. Oh wait, I didn’t see him play because he got hurt after I bought the dang tickets! I still got to see my Falcons whip the Cowgirls in Dallas so not all was lost. I did badly wanted to see Vick though.

Cordarrell Patterson, I was heavily intoxicated from the 5 hr ride from Bama to Neyland… I asked him “hey AJ? Mr Johnson can I get a pic” bruh I was so ashamed of myself and he was way too nice about it lol. Then Bama crushed us. First trip to Neyland was fun though.

Not a fan of what he did off the field, but the most impressive athlete I have seen on the field was Michael Vick - even surrounded by elite NFL athletes, he simply looked to be at another level. Got to see Jordan play late in his career, but was lucky enough to see Kobe play in Memphis Ian mid 2000's and he just absolutely took over the game. For Tennessee, seemed like every game Jay Graham was in he would break off a long run - made it so you sat on the edge of your seat whenever he touched it.

Best I’ve seen in person…

Herschel Walker
Peyton Manning
Pete Rose
Tiger Woods
Al Wilson
Deion Sanders

Tbh…Heath Shuler was one of the best college athletes to watch. Dude could play the game as it was meant to be played.

Reactions: tennrich1 and MAD
Not a fan of what he did off the field, but the most impressive athlete I have seen on the field was Michael Vick - even surrounded by elite NFL athletes, he simply looked to be at another level. Got to see Jordan play late in his career, but was lucky enough to see Kobe play in Memphis Ian mid 2000's and he just absolutely took over the game. For Tennessee, seemed like every game Jay Graham was in he would break off a long run - made it so you sat on the edge of your seat whenever he touched it.
Agreed on Vick. He made NFL DBs look slow. Dude had a freaking cannon too!

This sounds fascinating! Why have I never heard of this before?

Sorry, but.....

super-bowl-live-under-a-rock.gif

I’m seeing a lot of people saying Deon - I saw him while he was at FSU playing in Clemson-

Where did you guys see him play? He never played us …

Raghib Ismail, Willie Gault, Leonard Little, Timmy Tebow, Eric Berry, Josh Dobbs, Alvin Kamara, but best athlete ive ever seen is Cordarrelle Patterson.

I’m seeing a lot of people saying Deon - I saw him while he was at FSU playing in Clemson-

Where did you guys see him play? He never played us …
I saw him several times in Tallahassee while I was in high school. My aunt and uncle both went to FSU and I’d fly down to one/two games a year. I saw Deion score his first TD in college vs Tulsa (100 yard int)

VN Store

Back