White Targeting "Offensive Minded" Coach

Smh I think y’all need to watch that game Clemson had against Ohio state when he wasn’t there calling the plays they looked completely different

Reactions: MiramarVol
AD White is rumored to have really liked Paul Johnson from GaTech. He has SEC wins over Uga, Vandy and Auburn with a less talented roster (vs uga and au), and led Navy over Notre Dame. He is an offensive guru that has put guys in the NFL. He won the ACC Championship, multiple I-AA national championships, and has been a national coach of the year.
Don’t wanna run the option.

I want to hire HC that will hire an offensive minded OC and let him run the offense.

Not all coordinators are the same and it wouldn't be fair to judge Tony Elliott based on Gomer's incompetence. Saying that, I don't think it's a good idea to get a coordinator at this point. Sometimes the sins of one (Gomer) transfers to another (Elliott). Many people won't be able to stomach a coordinator hire at this point in time. That's why I think that Matt Campbell, Lane Kiffin, Jamey Chadwell, Billy Napier, and Tom Allen should be at the top of the list. All proven head coaches. I have a high regard for Fickell but he's probably too defensive minded and not a good fit for what it seems like UT is looking for. I would honestly even take Leipold, Heupel, Herman, or Satterfield over Elliott as they've all got head coaching experience. But I would hope that I could get one of the first five I mentioned.

AD White is rumored to have really liked Paul Johnson from GaTech. He has SEC wins over Uga, Vandy and Auburn with a less talented roster (vs uga and au), and led Navy over Notre Dame. He is an offensive guru that has put guys in the NFL. He won the ACC Championship, multiple I-AA national championships, and has been a national coach of the year.
Where is he now? He could recruit in the SE.

I am probably one of the biggest Paul Johnson fans on here. But I don’t think he and Tennessee would be a good match. I seriously doubt this rumor. He’s 63 and enjoying time with his family in retirement.

Surely an OC with no HC experiencing wouldn’t be one of the top candidates, right? I would imagine White would attempt to hire a coach that has already had success leading a program. If UT ultimately hires Elliott it means multiple proven coaches declined the offer or we are bargain shopping again hoping the gamble pays off.

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005
Smart move. If it works you get great QBs and it seems with defensive coaches the offensive coach does well for 2 years and is hired away or sucks and gets fired. This way you keep the offensive mind on the team in a game that has become like basketball in some ways in that it's who's offense does a recruit want to play in.

Reactions: btate
If we go after Tony Elliot, we might as well give up on football. This would be the dumbest decision outside of choosing Pruitt. Actually, it'd be even dumber since we literally just fired a guy who came in here with no experience. I'm excited about Danny White, but if he trots out a coordinator, I'll lose all respect.
Do your homework before you make an assumption. Tony Elliot would be miles above a coordinator like Jeremy Pruitt. You saw he was an OC and said “to hell with him” Don't be simple.

Let's just agree that nobody has any idea of who will be the next coach. UT surprised the entire fan base and media with the Danny White hire. They were able to keep that hire as close to the chest as one could. Speculating at this point is moot.
And, I would bet a dollar to a donut that they already have a candidate. They know better than to announce a candidate before the ink is dry.

Do your homework before you make an assumption. Tony Elliot would be miles above a coordinator like Jeremy Pruitt. You saw he was an OC and said “to hell with him” Don't be simple.
We are under investigation. We are going to be slapped silly with sanctions. We just fired a guy who was a coordinator before and no HC experience. We don't have the players Clemson has to have that high powered offense he runs. It's not being "simple", it's being realistic. We need someone with a HC mindset who has that experience to right the ship. Another "learn on the job" hire is a terrible route to go. He's too much of a risk, and we can afford anymore risks.

Reactions: 08Vol
His first priority should be to get Dooley back here as UTSports Fashion Coordinator and Director of Community Outreach, meaning he handles all the press conferences for major sports i.e Football.

Reactions: Electric Orange

VN Store

Back