White Targeting "Offensive Minded" Coach

I am expecting that to be the case, but if we were unable to obtain one of our top 3 or 4 targets, I would think that he would be a viable option. I want someone with head coaching experience at the top levels, but if this is a guy White has wanted for a while now there must be a good reason.

I’m staying on the side of “this is not a guy that White wants because it’s a bad decision”. But obviously if he’s hired I hope I’m wrong on all accounts. I just see too many parallels between he and Pruitt. Give me a Kendal Briles over Elliott who has at least had to coach lesser talent and still made a name for himself.

If we do, White would be scorned to hell...

...until he beats GA/FL :p

Just because Pruitt didn't work out doesn't mean that the next coordinator won't. Fulmer was a coordinator, and he got us a natty. Pearl was at a smaller school, and he had us on the verge of the final four. So, I agree. Until we beat someone, he would be looked down on by the fan base.

Atlanta Vol said the guy we will get will have head coaching experience, so I’m hoping that holds true and we can avoid this potential issue.
It will be head coaching experience in college. Thats a key bit of insider info fake insiders don't know.

It will also be a married male between the ages of 31 and 75, college educated, and will sign a contract that will have performance incentives included.

I'm over taking coordinators to be head football coaches and "learn on the job"

Was it before or after White that the sources were saying a coach with HC experience. This is churning at a rapid pace can’t keep up

I’m staying on the side of “this is not a guy that White wants because it’s a bad decision”. But obviously if he’s hired I hope I’m wrong on all accounts. I just see too many parallels between he and Pruitt. Give me a Kendal Briles over Elliott who has at least had to coach lesser talent and still made a name for himself.

I haven't followed Kendal Briles. So, I don't have an opinion there, but if you are hiring an AD who has made really good hires in the past, you have to at least give his coach a chance.

I mean, Elliot has apparently been a part of a dynasty of sorts, for a long time. So, he has at least seen how it was all put together, and been a vital cog in it. I definitely like the idea of having someone who has been a part of consistent success at the top levels.

I just don't think Pruitt has the personality of a head coach. That doesn't mean that another coordinator would have that issue.

I think we are going after an actual coach and not settling this time even if that means Steele has to be the interim a little longer.

Let's just agree that nobody has any idea of who will be the next coach. UT surprised the entire fan base and media with the Danny White hire. They were able to keep that hire as close to the chest as one could. Speculating at this point is moot.

I'm just not excited about bringing in anyone who hasnt proven he can win as a HC in the SEC. I'm not saying I would want coach O, but I'd take coach O over any coordinator because he has proven he can win in the SEC. Freeze, Kiffin (not really because of what he did), Mullen if he's willing anyone like that.

Elliot is a product of the system at Clemson he wouldn’t win here he would be just like Pruitt no HC experience and in way over his head. We would be right back where we started in 2024 looking for another new coach. Elliot would be better suited starting out at a Western Kentucky or Tulane type of school.
this is exactly right. Let this guy go to a place like Mississippi state or Vandy first to prove he can do it before bringing him here to Knoxville.

Unlike Pruitt he actually has an offensive mind

Exactly. This would be a really good hire if we go the Coordinator route. He's won the Broyle's award, is a great recruiter, great offensive mind and good person. He's the kind of Coach players love and would flock to. I do prefer an offensive minded HC with HC experience, but with White's track record of making great hires I would definitely support this. If it happens, I really hope some of these DA fans don't go Schiano Pt. 2. That's the last thing we need.

Elliot is a product of the system at Clemson he wouldn’t win here he would be just like Pruitt no HC experience and in way over his head. We would be right back where we started in 2024 looking for another new coach. Elliot would be better suited starting out at a Western Kentucky or Tulane type of school.

You know this how, exactly?? Obviously our AD needs to consult you with the knowledge and ability to see into the future. You would be a great asset for our AD Department. You get my vote bruh! 😒😒

You don't pay almost $2M for an AD for him to go out and hire a coordinator with no head coaching experience.

As others have mentioned, the word on White didn't get out until Boyd/Plowman wanted it to get out. It's going to be that way with the coach. Boyd and Plowman handled the firing of Pruitt well and the hiring of White well. That's 2 out of 3 and I expect them to handled the coach hire well, too.

VN Store

Back