White Targeting "Offensive Minded" Coach

I wasn't excited about the idea at first but Tony White would make since, if he's our guy.
He's just turned down multiple NFL jobs (Dolphins, Seahawks, & Titans).
He's coached with Steele (who's allegedly hiring assistant coaches).
He's young so he fits Fulmer's description in his presser.
He's offensive minded as the article suggests that White is looking for.

We are under investigation. We are going to be slapped silly with sanctions. We just fired a guy who was a coordinator before and no HC experience. We don't have the players Clemson has to have that high powered offense he runs. It's not being "simple", it's being realistic. We need someone with a HC mindset who has that experience to right the ship. Another "learn on the job" hire is a terrible route to go. He's too much of a risk, and we can afford anymore risks.
How much do you actually know about Tony Elliot? Until you understand his philosophies, his understanding of how to run a program, and his leadership abilities, then you are unable to make statements saying he would be a bad HC

How much do you actually know about Tony Elliot? Until you understand his philosophies, his understanding of how to run a program, and his leadership abilities, then you are unable to make statements saying he would be a bad HC
I'm not saying he'd be a bad HC. I'm saying he'd be a bad HC for the situation we currently find ourselves in. Have you been asleep for the past 3 years? We just hired a guy who had to learn on the job. It absolutely baffles me how anyone can support doing this two times in a row.

Elliot is a product of the system at Clemson he wouldn’t win here he would be just like Pruitt no HC experience and in way over his head. We would be right back where we started in 2024 looking for another new coach. Elliot would be better suited starting out at a Western Kentucky or Tulane type of school.

Exactly. Lots of guys look like geniuses while using 5 star players all over the field ... which we don't have enough of for them to continue to look like geniuses.

Reactions: Checker_the_Shire
Be a tough pill to get us (the fans) to shallow. Hiring another coach to learn on the job. Elliott has had loaded teams at Clemson how go is here with less talent.

White himself could’ve floated Elliot’s name to gauge the reaction of the fan base. He’s a smart guy, he knows the fans need to be on board
To the best of my knowledge, no one on this board ever mentioned White as our next AD. Suddenly, he is it. Posters who know nothing about nothing are outraged at a potential move he may or may not make. A man who has hired multiple head coaches, at multiple institutions, probably won't use this board for detailed guidance on how to do his job.

I've not heard anyone mention the onus on the other side of the coin:
What does it do to the career of the hypothetical coordinator who becomes the next to fail as HC at Tennessee?

I'm guessing that when you make the career jump from coordinator to HC, you want the highest chances for success wherever you make that move. Because if you fail, you've put a severe ceiling on the future of your career in coaching.

That feature alone should help weed out all but the fearless and the foolish.

Per sources with intimate knowledge of Tennessee leaders’ conversations with White in the process of hiring White away from Central Florida to run UT athletics, White already has coaching candidates queued up to discuss the Volunteers’ job.

“He told Tennessee on Wednesday night that he has an offensive coach(es) ready to go, and that apparently helped Tennessee get the deal done quickly,” said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Journalists... that’s hard hitting stuff there.

Atlanta Vol said the guy we will get will have head coaching experience, so I’m hoping that holds true and we can avoid this potential issue.
I believe this to be true as well. I think it will be a smaller school HC that has had great success over time, not just a 1-2 year winner that maintained the previous success. Like I don't see hiring ND St's coach, but I think White would be looking at that type of success with this hire. I really don't think we will get a proven P5 HC. I would think a proven FCS guy would be more likely. Somebody that has shown an ability to maximize players regardless of their star status. A guy who hires fantastic assistants and lets them do their job.

If White hires a coordinator with no HC experience I hope there are all of two fans in the stands for the first home game in September. Because the administration will deserve it, and that's the only way we will ever break out of this nonsense.

I was encouraged yesterday to see that for a change we seemed to have hired a real AD with a proven track record. And then I read this foolishness that said AD might want to hire a coordinator.

There's only so much incompetence one fan base can take. I second what another poster in this thread suggested: if Elliott, or any coordinator, gets hired, there needs to be a clear message from fans: we're done until you idiots decide to get it right.

Regardless of how you feel about the next hire. There will be fans in the stands because we want to see our team succeed. Whoever it is, they deserve a chance to prove what the new AD and Board members saw and believed in when they hired the coach.

Elliott is White's top choice, and I trust White. He's earned that trust when it comes to a coaching hire.
Manning and Boyd might not agree on him being the top choice.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Tony Elliott turned down the Seahawks and Dolphins here in the last week or two in order to stay at Clemson. He's a better coach than most of you are willing to admit. I agree he's not had HC experience, but what HC had experience before given the opportunity? All HC had no experience at one point in time. If the new AD says he's his guy, we have to trust him.

Tony Elliott turned down the Seahawks and Dolphins here in the last week or two in order to stay at Clemson. He's a better coach than most of you are willing to admit. I agree he's not had HC experience, but what HC had experience before given the opportunity? All HC had no experience at one point in time. If the new AD says he's his guy, we have to trust him.
Yeah, and they largely got that experience at somewhere dinky first.

You don't get promoted from plant manager to CEO overnight. Some may have success in that scenario, most will fail.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
We're not hiring an AD of that caliber and for that pay to go out and hire a coordinator without real HC experience.

No one has sources close to this thing anymore and they're throwing darts
Yep, people need to wait and see before they have a meltdown because an article threw out a coordinators name.

Hope it’s offensive-minded and not “gimmicky.” The last thing we need is some kind of option-style experiment like what GA Tech tried a few years ago. Also, stick with proven HC experience, not one year, “flavor of the month” type of candidates.

Reactions: OL SMOKEY
Yeah, and they largely got that experience at somewhere dinky first.

You don't get promoted from plant manager to CEO overnight. Some may have success in that scenario, most will fail.

There's no way that our streak of bad hires continues. Odds are in our favor, because the hires were progressively bad.

VN Store

Back