Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

That photo of him with the barrel, that’s the actual barrel from that NBSC pick. I was damn excited to be able to get that for him.

Oh wow. That is awesome! I have about 4oz left in my bottle. I am hoping the Fairview pick will do a good job at replacing it.

Do you enjoy their Rye Barrel Proof? Never seen it anywhere before but very intriguing

Oh wow. That is awesome! I have about 4oz left in my bottle. I am hoping the Fairview pick will do a good job at replacing it.

Do you enjoy their Rye Barrel Proof? Never seen it anywhere before but very intriguing
48014E3D-48C9-4A6F-BF2C-7F08043E1013.jpeg
Love it man, it’s probably my favorite rye from this past year. He ended up being able to track down four of them and ended up trading two of them.
If you got that Fairview pick the morning they released them then you probably saw my dad, he was there to get his as well.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Driftless Glen local store pick is the pour tonight going with some prime filets and college basketball
0CD5EA53-106B-49C5-82F3-D86C1B4063C2.jpeg

Got a bottle of Proper 12 yesterday. I've been getting the half bottles to try a few different Scotch and Irish. Maybe I didn't try the right American whiskey or Bourbon in the past, but my taste buds are partial to Scotch and Irish. I did have 3 shots of JD Single Barrel Select over Xmas. Have to admit it's the only JD I've tried in a long time that was really good. I'm not the generic black or green label fan. The two American libations I would definitely go to if I get off my Scot trip is Makers and Wild Turkey. Those were probably the only two I ever bought. But, I'm not a whiskey drinker that keeps alot around. Only the occasional buy. More so in the last 6 months than probably my entire life. Did not care for Buffalo Trace at all.

The Scotch and Irish I have sampled of late, and liked all to varying degrees:
Proper 12, Tullamore DEW original, Speyburn, Paddy's (least favorite), Slane

Short wish list if I give up a few bucks:
Redbreast, Power's, Highland Park, Glenmorangie

Last edited:
Can't name a lot of what we had a but a friend worked for a fellow up north who owned 3or4 car dealerships. When he passed my friend kind of inherited a few bottles at a time from the cellar. I ended up with a hand painted bottle of 1940 circa 7 yr old Kentucky Tavern. Also recently had a bottle of 15 year old Glenfiddich aged in spanish and american oak both. Good stuff.

Reactions: hibbs
Unicorn captured today at my favorite honey hole in Columbia. The Gael Batch No. 1, this has been difficult to find.

20210414_1228411.jpg

No pics, but I was gifted 2 quarts of 'home made' Rye Whisky (Shine). Pretty darn good considering I've never been a Rye person. Probably got a quart of corn spirits coming my way too.

Going back through some of the collection photos, I think it would be fun to start a collection like that. However, my collection would all be empty bottles as a memorial to the good libations they once offered. Probably a few might have embarrassing photos tucked into the bottles though.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Woops. not sure how i did that ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyhow...Jameson, Slane, Speyburn have been some regular Scotch/Irish for me of late. Tried Buffalo Trace. OK but did not woo me. JD Single Barrel Select. (Only thing JD that will touch my lips.). And I got on a bottle of E&J XO Brandy. I really enjoyed that.

New Additions: Tullamore Dew Irish...Very Nice (Just finished). Proper. Tennessee Legend (Had several now, and taste tested others. The cinnamon (current bottle), blackberry, and regular whiskeys are very good. The coconut rum is the best I've tasted. They have a spicy mango moonshine that is top shelf.)

Most of my purchases I look for hidden gems that give me a great sip under $22.

Looking to try (if in budget): Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, Poire Williams or St. George Pear Brandy, and Delord Armagnac ($50).

The Lagavulin 16 is outstanding, found that in Spring Hill for $89. You'd be a candidate for Tullamore Dew 12 YO, its one of my favorites.

This is going to look pretty cool on my son's bar. Sails and the base made from beer cans.

20211223_062320.jpg

Anybody living near Columbia I can tell you where to go to find this guy. He does mostly UT but can manage most college teams, even Vandy. He'll also have both Super Bowl teams represented and will be auctioned off at Backstreet Tavern, Columbia's finest watering hole.

Reactions: barknoxbrawler
BTW any Irish Whiskey fans out there this is the find of 2021. Busker has replaced Jameson as my daily drinker, Wine Enthusiast scored it an insane 94.... and its under 30 bucks.

6155e30c0fed0.jpg

VN Store

Back