Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

A buddy let me try speyburn and I enjoyed it enough to buy my own. Got a lot of green apple in the glass he poured me. Opened mine and was less impressed. I need to revisit it now that it has had a month or two to open up.
I hit the Speyburn again and was satisfied with my first impression. Also tried some Proper brand and I think Tullamore. both were very good, especially for the $. Proper may have been a little more to my liking. Quite smooth actually.

Have you had Talisker 10 or Lagavulin 16?

I am a fan of Poire Williams, which is pear brandy.

I might try the Talisker. Lagavulin is not in my budget. I sampled some Proper and Tullamore Irish whiskies and was very impresed for sub$20 bottles. Proper was very satisfying.

I did not find that pear brandy at my normal stop. May try a different store. I did go ahead and get a bottle of E&J XO. Not sure what a "good" brandy should taste like, but it was smooth and nice. Especially for $16. If import brands get better, I will be liking the Brandy.

Treasure found at Corkdorks Midtown in Nashville, I took full advantage of their Super Bowl 20% off sale.

20210208_185624b.jpg

Last edited:
Never ventured over to this side of the board, had no idea this thread existed till now.
Here is some of my current collection:
View attachment 354064View attachment 354065View attachment 354066View attachment 354067View attachment 354068View attachment 354069View attachment 354071
One caught my eye rather quickly. Where did you find Old Ezra ?? I had some many moons ago and thought then it was one of the best whiskey's on the planet. Have never found it again. The old Ezra I had was in a more traditional bottle and a wood box. Could be same whiskey just in a different bottle.

I've added to my taste bud list:
Mainstays:
Jameason,
Anytime you’re in Middle TN just give me a shout
I'm always in middle TN. I'd need to sign a waiver before entering that I'm not responsible for knocking over one of those cases. lol.

Woops. not sure how i did that ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyhow...Jameson, Slane, Speyburn have been some regular Scotch/Irish for me of late. Tried Buffalo Trace. OK but did not woo me. JD Single Barrel Select. (Only thing JD that will touch my lips.). And I got on a bottle of E&J XO Brandy. I really enjoyed that.

New Additions: Tullamore Dew Irish...Very Nice (Just finished). Proper. Tennessee Legend (Had several now, and taste tested others. The cinnamon (current bottle), blackberry, and regular whiskeys are very good. The coconut rum is the best I've tasted. They have a spicy mango moonshine that is top shelf.)

Most of my purchases I look for hidden gems that give me a great sip under $22.

Looking to try (if in budget): Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, Poire Williams or St. George Pear Brandy, and Delord Armagnac ($50).

Last edited:
One caught my eye rather quickly. Where did you find Old Ezra ?? I had some many moons ago and thought then it was one of the best whiskey's on the planet. Have never found it again. The old Ezra I had was in a more traditional bottle and a wood box. Could be same whiskey just in a different bottle.
Which Ezra? One is the Ezra distillers collection that is a store pick from Liquor Barn in Bowling Green (a decent amount of stores are picking those lately, should be relatively easy to find.) The other is the OE7, and I grabbed it at their distillery. Both are amazing products. Lux Row is def one of my favorite distilleries right now, curious to see if that stays the same after they were bought out by MGP.

JD Single Barrel Select. (Only thing JD that will touch my lips.).
Delord Armagnac ($50).
my dad is a JD only collector so I’ve gotten to try a lot of their rare offerings, you should def try some barrell proof store picks if you see them, and their allocated Heritage line they have put out the last three years have all be amazing!
As for that Delord, I have a 10 year and a 25 year here you’re more than welcome to try...I love them.

VN Store

Back