Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

I think I found my scotch. Just had a sip of Speyburn highland 10 year single malt. The shot bottle was only 1.99. Not sure of the full bottle but I will be getting it. It was dauuum good.
I’m also curious now about brandy/cognac. Being a wine lover and all. It has to be good. Any brandy or cognac drinkers in here to give advice. ???

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think I found my scotch. Just had a sip of Speyburn highland 10 year single malt. The shot bottle was only 1.99. Not sure of the full bottle but I will be getting it. It was dauuum good.
I’m also curious now about brandy/cognac. Being a wine lover and all. It has to be good. Any brandy or cognac drinkers in here to give advice. ???

Have you had Talisker 10 or Lagavulin 16?

I am a fan of Poire Williams, which is pear brandy.

I bought a small bottle of Chattanooga Whiskey Straight Bourbon (I figured I would start with them since they are just right up the road local). Will try tonight and writing down all these other options :)

Well, we tried the Chattanooga Whiskey Straight Bourbon on Christmas evening - once everyone had settled down. As to be excepted for us, much stronger than what we are use to. We let it sit in our glass for a minute or two to air and then took small sips straight to start out. Though strong, I liked it. Little too much for the wife. Then, we put a small ice cube in and let that sit for another minute or so. Could definitely tell a difference in the taste - the ice/water seemed to pull the flavor out of the drink and bring it to the surface. This was more enjoyable for both of us. So, we are slowly working our way through the bottle and learning what we like and don't like about it.

Thank you all so much for the comments and suggestions. I now have a few more bottles to get over time and compare to what we started with.

Happy New Year to all and GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I got a bottle of bottled in bond George Dickel for Christmas that I opened tonight. I’m already a fan of Dickel, but this is my favorite whiskey that I have tried. Even better than the single barrels and selects that I have tried. I do tend to stick to Tennessee Whiskeys.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

A buddy let me try speyburn and I enjoyed it enough to buy my own. Got a lot of green apple in the glass he poured me. Opened mine and was less impressed. I need to revisit it now that it has had a month or two to open up.

I polished off the last of my Famous Grouse by the fire pit last night.

I had meant to blend it with Wild Turkey 101, sort of a cross-breed grouse-turkey tipple.

Reactions: Big Ugly Vol
So, let me get some thoughts on this, just out of curiosity. Had a talk with a guy the other day that said ice in whiskey is basically a sin. I do seem to like most scotch without, but I sat a glass of Willett Reserve down the other day and when I got back to it the ice had melted considerably. It had a MUCH smoother taste and almost had a hint of a sweetness on the back end that I had never noticed before. Anybody have any advice?

So, let me get some thoughts on this, just out of curiosity. Had a talk with a guy the other day that said ice in whiskey is basically a sin. I do seem to like most scotch without, but I sat a glass of Willett Reserve down the other day and when I got back to it the ice had melted considerably. It had a MUCH smoother taste and almost had a hint of a sweetness on the back end that I had never noticed before. Anybody have any advice?
Drink it how you like it. Adding a little water/ice especially to higher proof whiskey helps tame it and bring out other flavors which can be masked by the proof. But too much ice will just water it down.

I talked with a buddy about this same thing recently. I think every whiskey can be a little different, some are best neat, some on rocks, some with splash of water or soda. Drink the way you like it, in the end you’re paying for it. It’s not like you’re saying you should eat a steak above medium rare or something silly like that!

Drink it how you like it. Adding a little water/ice especially to higher proof whiskey helps tame it and bring out other flavors which can be masked by the proof. But too much ice will just water it down.[/QUOTE

Gotcha. Just curious what others had to say about it.

Agreed with the above. Even Master Distillers say to drink it how you like it, except maybe coke unless it is cheap. Watch the movie "NEAT" on HULU, they even say it there. Most will add ice to barrel proof bourbon. Willett is excellent unless it is the pot still which is not really Willett. If you see any of the 4+ year out there, buy what they have.

Reactions: Big Ugly Vol
I worked for ABC of Virginia for 7 years, tried damn near everything. Blantons is hard to beat depending on your price area. I think Pappy is maybe a tad overrated.

I worked for ABC of Virginia for 7 years, tried damn near everything. Blantons is hard to beat depending on your price area. I think Pappy is maybe a tad overrated.
I like Blantons, it goes for between $70-$90 but honestly I like EH small batch better, that goes for about $70. To me Pappy 15 is the sweet spot.

VN Store

Back