When Saban retires, what would CJP do if Bama called

1. Stay here and build a legacy

2. Leave for Bama

3. Or follow the guy who follows Saban

Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.

Let's just hope Bama calls when the time comes.

I hope we're in a position where we actually have to consider this at some point, maybe in 5 years or so.

Anyone who took the HC position at Alabama would in a pressure cooker, so it would partially depend on Pruitt's mindset at the time. If they want him, though, they'll throw enough money his way to get him.

Pruitt was 5-7 with 6 beatdown losses in year one and is staring 6-6 in the face in year two. Yeah, he’s an Alabama favorite son, but he’s gotta do/show and helluva lot more at Tennessee before Alabama, the best program in the country, would even consider to come a callin’.
Have you looked at the schedule? 6 wins would be a major disappointment. 8 seems reasonable, and 9 isn’t out of the question. This is the easiest schedule they’ve had in the last 10+ years.

So you got so triggered by the responses to a pointless and unnecessary thread that you felt the need to let everyone know by posting in it yourself? Classic.

Why you mad though? And which one of these tbreads are necessary and not pointless? I for damn sure wanna be in the threads that are gonna change chit!

Reactions: chargervol
Probably no one... including Pruitt knows how he would react if this somehow played out. If he's having success and being treated well and has a great situation then he'd be foolish to leave, follow a legend, and risk being a bad fit. If he's winning but not satisfied with the people around him or possibly gets the chance to shape the Bama program around him (not that likely) then maybe he leaves.

But no one knows right now that factors will play or what nuanced personal things might push him to stay or go.

1. Stay here and build a legacy

2. Leave for Bama

3. Or follow the guy who follows Saban

Your thoughts please also this is contingent on Pruitt doing well here and salary offers are roughly equal.

Let's focus on beating Vandy first, ok? :)

Reactions: Vol Main
Have you looked at the schedule? 6 wins would be a major disappointment. 8 seems reasonable, and 9 isn’t out of the question. This is the easiest schedule they’ve had in the last 10+ years.
You missed the memo. The coaches and all but one player on the team suck.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
All we can do is guess, it depends on the person and situation.
I gave an example of someone going home but Jeff Brohm is an example of the opposite.
He turned his alma mater down.

He's gonna have to win some games first. Alabama probably won't be interested in hiring him if he does poorly here. The key is him doing well here. Then maybe they call.

Reactions: chargervol
Salary and success being equal, it seems what you're really asking is if he's more loyal to Alabama or Tennessee. That's a much more interesting question. You should ask that instead.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Lets pump the brakes and let him have one winning season before we get all hot and bothered over this possibility.

Your answer can be found in his introduction Presser:

As a kid growing up in Alabama
I was a fan
I played for Alabama
I know all about the rivalry
It’s importance

If Bama came calling that means 1 or more of a couple things have happened at Tennessee:

He’s built us into a national power
He’s won a lot of games
He hasn’t lost to Vandy or Kentucky in 5+ years
He’s recruiting In the T5 annually
He’s won multiple SEC titles
He’s won a National Championship

That being said I’m not sure I would jump at the chance to follow Saban. I remember a few years back they wanted to fire him because he dropped one game. Imagine if Pruitt has a shaky start.

Personally, I don’t know who I would want to follow less Saban or Dabo.

Is this a serious question?...Pruitt would be gone so fast it would make your head spin...But never fear!...Fulmer would be working like heck to find his replacement!

I hope this is a joke and if not then name one guy recently who has done what Fulmer has done as AD

This is what many of us have said from the beginning. The Pruitt hire came wrapped in a paradox. The only reason to hire him is to compete for conference and national championships every season. If he's capable of doing that, Bama will swoop in and take him right back away from us. And if he's not, then what's the point of hiring him in the first place? Temporary happiness is the best we can hope for.

Or....

He wins a lot wins the SEC and a NC
And gets a huge contract from Phil

We all know Phil will have a soft spot for the football program. It’s no secret that he wants it to succeed more than any other program at UT. He and Pruitt have a plan unlike the last ADs. He’s opened the books and paid guys who wouldn’t be here otherwise.

I hope this is a joke and if not then name one guy recently who has done what Fulmer has done as AD

Im glad Fulmer is here and I think he's doing a good job.

I am curious what Fulmer has done that no one else has done recently as an AD.

That being said I’m not sure I would jump at the chance to follow Saban. I remember a few years back they wanted to fire him because he dropped one game. Imagine if Pruitt has a shaky start.

Who followed Bear Bryant?

Tell me without a Google search...

It's hard for any coach to follow a legend. Oh, sure, the money will probably be good, but whomever follows Saban will have the bar set so high they will need a telescope to see it. They'll get three years and three years only before Bammers start burning trailer parks.

It's hard for any coach to follow a legend. Oh, sure, the money will probably be good, but whomever follows Saban will have the bar set so high they will need a telescope to see it. They'll get three years and three years only before Bammers start burning trailer parks.

I don’t know and don’t care to. Whomever it is won’t get 3 years either Bryant Denny will burn to the ground they’re so irrational at this point

I do agree.
But the flip side is really successful coaches (which Pruitt would have to be for the offer) have plenty of self confidence.
Don't know if he would look at it like you, outside perspective.. or just automatically feel confident he'd get the job done.

Back to having to know his thoughts.

Im glad Fulmer is here and I think he's doing a good job.

I am curious what Fulmer has done that no one else has done recently as an AD.

He’s got competent coaches here at Tennessee who have had success. Ansley and Chaney for example. He’s not blindly following advice from coaches like Hart. He’s paying coaches for actual successes not cutting checks for mediocrity. Barnes got paid over or under is another discussion for another day.

He’s got competent coaches here at Tennessee who have had success. Ansley and Chaney for example. He’s not blindly following advice from coaches like Hart. He’s paying coaches for actual successes not cutting checks for mediocrity. Barnes got paid over or under is another discussion for another day.
I think Behr was unsure, like I was, if you meant ADs period or ADs at UT.
I agree that he's already placed winning above budget and no UT AD has done that in a long time.

I do agree.
But the flip side is really successful coaches (which Pruitt would have to be for the offer) have plenty of self confidence.
Don't know if he would look at it like you, outside perspective.. or just automatically feel confident he'd get the job done.

Back to having to know his thoughts.

The Bammer faithful thinks they can just whisper the name "Crimson Tide" and Dabo will come running. Not even acknowledging he's built a dynasty of his own in Clemson, has top 5 recruiting classes every year and has virtually zero competition (i.e. clear path to the playoffs every year) in the ACC. In other words, no reason to leave a good thing because "we're BAMA!!!!!!"

I feel the Alabama AD likely knows this too, though not to say they wouldn't at least contact his agent and get the "LOL GTFO" in return. "Hey, we tried, now onto this other coach."

Regardless, whomever follows Saban had better ask for the moon and a substantial buyout.

VN Store

Back