Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

I’ll never understand a fan who thinks 1. He knows better than a coach which player to start at QB. 2. He thinks the coach cares so little that he plays a wrong player at the cost of winning games .😂😂😂.

Do you think that Milton will give the team its best chance of beating Florida? You are a fan. You are allowed to have opinions and to express them. Is that what you think?

Wholly unsurprising. Heupel is going to try to use this game to "coach Milton up", and then toss him out on the field against Florida, and let him dig a hole we can't get out of before putting an under-prepared Hooker into the game after Milton goes out with a supposed injury.
This is 100% what is going to happen. He will finally hit a deep ball or 2 against hapless TTU, fans will get excited, and then he will look like a deer in the head lights come Florida. For the record, I hope this doesn’t happen. I hope he balls out in both game, I just don’t see it.

No coach's offensive system works without consistent and effective QB play, and there's nothing about Milton's career, past or present, that says he fulfills those requirements.

And what evidence is there to say the other QB options do fulfill those requirements? Oh wait, there isn't any...

It's all hopes and projections with all 3 guys.

Do you think that Milton will give the team its best chance of beating Florida? You are a fan. You are allowed to have opinions and to express them. Is that what you think?
Yep, it is ok for me to have an opinion and express it. What's not ok and hurts the program is a fanbase turning on the coach and QB because they think they know better after less than two games. As far as Milton, I have a decent day job, not in coaching by the way. And altho I have a degree and am a smart guy, I am smart enough to know that Heupel is the only guy that matters in who starts against Florida and who gives us the best chance of winning. If you can't be ok with that at this point in the season, that just speaks poorly about you as a person (not you specifically) . And if you hate JG at this point, it also says more about you than about him

that says way more about heupel than it does our QB room.

I don't buy this idea that Heupel is a 'QB guru' HC, but none of the three QBs that we had on the team were serviceable enough that with an entire spring and fall camp couldn't run his offense, so he was forced to go and get Milton, a known quantity with issues going all the way back to high school, to save the season.

I think a more likely scenario is that Heupel was infatuated with Milton back in the 2017 recruiting cycle, and when he saw him enter the portal, couldn't miss a 2nd chance to get him into his program in spite of his deficiencies.

There's nothing from Hooker's time at VT, or even Bailey's limited playing time last season, that says Milton was definitely a better option than either of them based on his time at Michigan.

I’ll never understand a fan who thinks 1. He knows better than a coach which player to start at QB. 2. He thinks the coach cares so little that he plays a wrong player at the cost of winning games .😂😂😂.
You treat TN fans like they are stupid.
We aren't stupid. We know exactly where this is going.

Heupel said in the press conference that the QB competition is still open. I don't know exactly what that means and hope the depth chart is just perfunctory. Milton needs to be replaced IMO. Hooker and Bailey can at least complete passes. Bailey should be given a chance.
QB competition still open? where have i heard that one

Reactions: Berry4Heisman14
And what evidence is there to say the other QB options do fulfill those requirements? Oh wait, there isn't any...

It's all hopes and projections with all 3 guys.

So Heupel is capable of coaching Milton out of his issues that go back into high school, but incapable of coaching up Maurer, Bailey, or Hooker?

I hope many of you realize that these publicly released depth charts don't actually mean sh!t! It's fan base and media fodder. Coaches don't actually give a sh!t if we know who's starting or second string.

Last edited:
Reactions: KptVFL
Yep, it is ok for me to have an opinion and express it. What's not ok and hurts the program is a fanbase turning on the coach and QB because they think they know better after less than two games. As far as Milton, I have a decent day job, not in coaching by the way. And altho i have a degree and am a smart guy, I am smart enough to know that Heupel is the only guy that matters in who starts against Florida and who gives us the best chance of winning. If you can't be ok with that at this point in the season, that just speaks poorly about you as a person (not you specifically) . And if you hate JG at this point, it also says more about you than about him

I asked you to answer a simple question. Instead, you avoided answering the question and replied with backhanded personal attacks. So you will not be having any more conversations with me.

Last edited:
You treat TN fans like they are stupid.
We aren't stupid. We know exactly where this is going.
Der, ya, der, the average Tennessee fan knows more than the former QB coach who sees the players daily and is installing his offensive system. But please, tell me again how much smarter any Tennessee fan not named Peyton Manning is on deciding the starting QB. 🤣🤣🤣

I asked you to answer a simple question. Instead, you avoided answering the question and replied with personal attacks against me. So you will not be having any more conversations with me.
Please quote one personal attack against you above.

Edit: Ha ha ha you edited your post above based on my response. Included the word backhanded when you realized i didn't attack you personally, which was your reason for not continuing an actual discussion. Good try @Vol Main but i already copied it.

If a backhanded compliment is an insult, is a backhanded attack a kind gesture?

Last edited:
I don't buy this idea that Heupel is a 'QB guru' HC, but none of the three QBs that we had on the team were serviceable enough that with an entire spring and fall camp couldn't run his offense, so he was forced to go and get Milton, a known quantity with issues going all the way back to high school, to save the season.

I think a more likely scenario is that Heupel was infatuated with Milton back in the 2017 recruiting cycle, and when he saw him enter the portal, couldn't miss a 2nd chance to get him into his program in spite of his deficiencies.

There's nothing from Hooker's time at VT, or even Bailey's limited playing time last season, that says Milton was definitely a better option than either of them based on his time at Michigan.
There is a good chance youre right my dude.

Der, ya, der, the average Tennessee fan knows more than the former QB coach who sees the players daily and is installing his offensive system. But please, tell me again how much smarter any Tennessee fan not named Peyton Manning is on deciding the starting QB. 🤣🤣🤣
Lol I can't help you.
Bless you my son.

So Heupel is capable of coaching Milton out of his issues that go back into high school, but incapable of coaching up Maurer, Bailey, or Hooker?

Where did I suggest that? You're making up a stance and then arguing against the stance you created.

Be consistent with your take. If you are saying there is zero evidence of consistency to Milton's game (which I wholeheartedly agree with), show me the consistency level of the other two to suggest they should start. You can't because that evidence doesn't exist. None of the 3 QBs inspire much confidence, but then again, there was zero reason to be confident about this season anyway.

Reactions: KptVFL
It’s a depth chart.

Milton will be pulled if he struggles again.
I agree. Still just frustrating though. Give him a quarter then rest him even if he is the starter going forward. Let the other two show what they have under the lights bc we’re probably going to need all three this season.

VN Store

Back