Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

I think that is a false narrative. According to Heupel's presser, hooker has been getting as many reps as Milton. Probably not first team, but plenty to feel comfortable behind center. Hooker has had twice as many turnovers in 3 quarters as MIlton has in 5 quarters. And if you look at the numbers. we ran a much slower offense with Hooker than we do with Milton. About 6 seconds difference on average per play. And with a high tempo offense, that 6 seconds is a big deal. If Milton can connect on just a few deep balls, it opens up the play book and speeds up our offense. Hooker is more mobile and more accurate. But he is also more turnover friendly and limits the plays downfield. I think Milton is the lesser of two evils. I am not overly impressed with either of them. And I realize that the last coach up to AD was inept at what they were doing. But we shouldn't use that as evidence for what the new admin and coach are trying to achieve.
Wha..... Hooker has 1 fumble and 1 int, Milton has 2 fumbles. Plays..... Milton has ran more plays that is true, So HH runs better and he is a better passer so by all accounts you should be putting effort into him to make him run plays quicker. The offense is more efficient with Hooker. Less plays more production.

Reactions: Twelvethirtyone
Is this depth chart any different than the last two weeks? I think people are looking too much into it
You may be right. Mays, EVans, Small all listed, too. Don't even know if they're healthy enough to play let alone start.

Reactions: eaglevol and tbh
When they don't suck then they'll get support in truckloads

I’ll let you in on a secret. You are already “supporting” a team that has sucked for more than ten years. Losing a game where they were an underdog, and even missing some passes, is not suddenly a reason to bash the coach and qb. The sample size is too small and would be like giving up on Aaron Rodgers after his absolutely horrendous game. Bad throws happen. You can still support the player.

Wha..... Hooker has 1 fumble and 1 int, Milton has 2 fumbles. Plays..... Milton has ran more plays that is true, So HH runs better and he is a better passer so by all accounts you should be putting effort into him to make him run plays quicker. The offense is more efficient with Hooker. Less plays more production.

Milton had two fumbles, one when he went out of the last game. Count that as a mulligan or not. Hooker had a fumble against BG as well. I think Hooker has lost them more to poor decisions on the throw and the scramble. So I will stand by my opinion that he is more likely to turn it over than Milton. And I am fine with getting Hooker up to speed if he is capable of it. I am worried that if we depend on the run game and short passes then it limits the play calling. If there is even a slight chance that Milton connects on a deep wall, the defense has to at least respect the passing game. I see the upside and limits to both. So I am fine with whoever the coach thinks can get it done. Contrary to popular belief on here, I think Heupel is loyal to his scheme, not a particular QB. And whoever he thinks will get that scheme the most complete, that is who he will go with.

I think that is a false narrative. According to Heupel's presser, hooker has been getting as many reps as Milton. Probably not first team, but plenty to feel comfortable behind center. Hooker has had twice as many turnovers in 3 quarters as MIlton has in 5 quarters. And if you look at the numbers. we ran a much slower offense with Hooker than we do with Milton. About 6 seconds difference on average per play. And with a high tempo offense, that 6 seconds is a big deal. If Milton can connect on just a few deep balls, it opens up the play book and speeds up our offense. Hooker is more mobile and more accurate. But he is also more turnover friendly and limits the plays downfield. I think Milton is the lesser of two evils. I am not overly impressed with either of them. And I realize that the last coach up to AD was inept at what they were doing. But we shouldn't use that as evidence for what the new admin and coach are trying to achieve.

If Hooker isn't getting first team reps to get his timing down with his receivers, he's going to be at a disadvantage come game time when he gets tossed in. That's why continuing the Milton project, and giving him those first team practice reps all week, only for him to still be Joe Milton, is detrimental to Hooker when he's got to go in and try to play cleanup.

Hell, it's why bringing Milton into the program in the first place is overall detrimental to the QB room as a whole. How much time and effort have been, and are still being expended to try and fix Milton's issues that he's had since high school, and 3 years at Michigan couldn't fix?

If Hooker isn't getting first team reps to get his timing down with his receivers, he's going to be at a disadvantage come game time when he gets tossed in. That's why continuing the Milton project, and giving him those first team practice reps all week, only for him to still be Joe Milton, is detrimental to Hooker when he's got to go in and try to play cleanup.

Hell, it's why bringing Milton into the program in the first place is overall detrimental to the QB room as a whole. How much time and effort have been, and are still being expended to try and fix Milton's issues that he's had since high school, and 3 years at Michigan couldn't fix?

I see the point with Hooker getting first reps, I don't disagree.

When does the Milton project become the Hooker project? Or the Bailey project. We go through spring practice with the three scolly QBs and the coach still brought in a fourth that ended up starting. So your argument could be used as well against any of them. How much time and effort was spent on trying to correct Hooker's issues? Or Bailey's issues or Maurer's issues? Milton and Hooker both transferred in. I think any QB that is in the portal is because they know they aren't going to start where they are currently. And not always a reason for it, could be just too many great quarterbacks. But often an issue. Milton is a great example. And Hooker might be the same example.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
At this point in time do you think Heupel fairs better than 3 wins over 10 sec teams ? Im having a hard time finding better results at this time. Hell is there even 4 teams we can beat in the entire conference ?
Vandy, SC, maybe Mizz, maybe Miss st. And even then I think Mizz and Miss St would be favored

Reactions: VolRage
I see the point with Hooker getting first reps, I don't disagree.

When does the Milton project become the Hooker project? Or the Bailey project. We go through spring practice with the three scolly QBs and the coach still brought in a fourth that ended up starting. So your argument could be used as well against any of them. How much time and effort was spent on trying to correct Hooker's issues? Or Bailey's issues or Maurer's issues? Milton and Hooker both transferred in. I think any QB that is in the portal is because they know they aren't going to start where they are currently. And not always a reason for it, could be just too many great quarterbacks. But often an issue. Milton is a great example. And Hooker might be the same example.

I think Huepel is just enamored with the what if's, with Milton. And, it's easy to see why.

He can't make the other QB's 6'5" and 245 with a rocket launcher arm, and that's probably their biggest downfall in comparison with Milton.

UTWeek-3-depth-chart.png
I swear if CJH says "Joe gives us the best chance to win" im going to EXPLODE.😱🤬😱🤬😱🤬

I think Huepel is just enamored with the what if's, with Milton. And, it's easy to see why.

He can't make the other QB's 6'5" and 245 with a rocket launcher arm, and that's probably their biggest downfall in comparison with Milton.

I see the appeal. And if there were a few tweaks, he could be an amazing QB. But maybe he never gets it.

I still believe that Heupel has a offensive system that works. I have seen it in the past on multiple stops in his coaching. I don't think any QB we have right now will be an ideal fit. So he is probably rolling with the best fit overall. Just my 2 cents.

I see the appeal. And if there were a few tweaks, he could be an amazing QB. But maybe he never gets it.

I still believe that Heupel has a offensive system that works. I have seen it in the past on multiple stops in his coaching. I don't think any QB we have right now will be an ideal fit. So he is probably rolling with the best fit overall. Just my 2 cents.

No coach's offensive system works without consistent and effective QB play, and there's nothing about Milton's career, past or present, that says he fulfills those requirements.

No coach's offensive system works without consistent and effective QB play, and there's nothing about Milton's career, past or present, that says he fulfills those requirements.

That's our problem. We don't have a consistent and effective QB. At least not from what I have seen. But I could be proven wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

VN Store

Back