Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

Same people defending this hire defended Pruitt too. This guy is less qualified than even Pruitt was. His first HC job needs to be at a school like Memphis or something not freaking Tennessee.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Pruitt hire. He was a highly successful DC in multiple top programs in the country for a while and it was logical to give someone like that a shot (even at Tennessee - did not have to be Memphis). Just because he did not work out it was not necesserily because he was not a proven HC before. Nobody has a crystal ball to guarantee whether any hire will work out ahead of time no matter what their resume says. Look at Chip Kelly at UCLA - how is his great HC experience working out for UCLA so far? And there are so many other examples like him. My take is that if we really believe we have a great new aggressive AD let's just take a deep breath and watch him do his job. At the end of the day, it will be his gut call about the coaching hire (as he correctly said it in his press conference) and we are paying him a lot of money to have his gut be hopefully correct (again there are never any guarantees in this business).

Reactions: Mccage
Bullcrap! At least part of the rage about Schiano was how underwhelming he was for a program like UT. The reaction was, "You said you were going to get an elite coach and that's your guy????" If they hire another unproven coordinator or a Google coach, there will be a bigger backlash than there was when the Schiano news came out.

Look, Schiano wasn't Jon Gruden or anyone of that calibur, but if your protests against his hiring had anything to do with anything other than the pedo state scandal, you might as well just go ahead and admit you don't care about anyone involved with anything as a person. The fact that anyone involved with pedo state is still in football is a disgrace

More want Kiffin than Elliott I can assure you
Just moved the goal posts there. "Unify the fanbase " became "More uninformed people have heard of him." Lane and Freeze both have the potential to destroy the program if they persist in behaviors they have shown in the past... Freeze by breaking rules and Kiffin by bailing out in a year or two. Somewhere you really need to consider those factors.

Reactions: MiramarVol
He's only been the OC by himself for one year?!?!...He was co oc from 2015 to 2019 and last season was the first time he had done play calling on his own...This folks is going to be the disaster to end all disasters if they hire him...My god.
And you know that how....oh **** your an AD??? Just because Pruitt didn't work out all coordinators suck..dude your just like me and everyone else on here we don't know ****

Reactions: MiramarVol
Just moved the goal posts there. "Unify the fanbase " became "More uninformed people have heard of him." Lane and Freeze both have the potential to destroy the program if they persist in behaviors they have shown in the past... Freeze by breaking rules and Kiffin by bailing out in a year or two. Somewhere you really need to consider those factors.
Average fan opinion matters

The "Average fans" you reference probably can't name 25 total coaches outside of the their team. "Average fan" thinks we hired a AD that knows what he is doing. You apparently don't. "Average fan" will roll with DW's judgment.
Wrong I think AD White is one of the best there is with a track record to back it up. I also think if he chooses Elliott there is a chance he will turn out to be a good hire. My point is that there will be a huge backlash from fans who are not going to get behind another unproven HC. You might be in denial about that, but it’s already happening

Bullcrap! At least part of the rage about Schiano was how underwhelming he was for a program like UT. The reaction was, "You said you were going to get an elite coach and that's your guy????" If they hire another unproven coordinator or a Google coach, there will be a bigger backlash than there was when the Schiano news came out.

There ain't but a couple of proven Coaches still coaching. Them 2 aint coming. I think winning Championships makes a proven coach. As far as revolting thats stupid. It will drive away any respectable Coach.

I'd rather just let Steele be interim for a year than hire another unproven coordinator.

Put me down as, hell no for Elliot.
ah yes, let's fix our stability, culture, recruiting, retention, and offensive issues by having an interim head coach who JUST got to UT for an entire year. That will work splendidly. Btw, this interim head coach hasn't been a head coach in 20 years, and did it at Baylor, who was one of the more inept programs at the time. That makes this look like an even better idea.

ah yes, let's fix our stability, culture, recruiting, retention, and offensive issues by having an interim head coach who JUST got to UT for an entire year. That will work splendidly. Btw, this interim head coach hasn't been a head coach in 20 years, and did it at Baylor, who was one of the more inept programs at the time. That makes this look like an even better idea.

I agree with you on the downsides of Steele and yet, still, that would be preferable to rolling the dice on a coach like Elliot. A first time HC thrown into our mess? Noooooo thanks.

Wrong I think AD White is one of the best there is with a track record to back it up. I also think if he chooses Elliott there is a chance he will turn out to be a good hire. My point is that there will be a huge backlash from fans who are not going to get behind another unproven HC. You might be in denial about that, but it’s already happening
There have been fan revolts over black jerseys lol. I would just like to turn down the volume on protests for every coach mentioned. None will be perfect. All will have potential problems. Great coaches are out there. Perfect ones aren't. But where is the adventure in a predetermined outcome anyway?

The most fun I had watching UT football was not 1999 when we were expected to contend as repeat NC. It was in the 80s when Johnny was bringing us back. We won we lost we grew. Every game mattered and every game was exciting. I'm good with uncertainty. Have a good day. GBO whoever we get.

And we all know Jay Nichols to be completely reliable. Like two years ago when he said that Sam Pittman had agreed to become the Oline coach under Pruitt.
All I did was post something from another board that supported a previous post. He asked me to give him something to help support the post, I did. If you don’t believe it, that is your prerogative, but, don’t ever say I just made something up.

VN Store

Back