Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

Not true at all. Why does Clemson pay their coordinators almost 2 mil? Second if teams are equal in talent, wouldn't that makes scheme even more important. Third go look at the recruiting rankings Clemson has less talent then Bama. Dabo is made by who he has surrounded himself with. Saban knows he can coach and turn guys over. Dabo can't or he would.
You make valid points but let’s not pretend Elliot doesn’t have stacked talent on offense to work with. To me a good coach is a coach who can overachieve given what he’s got. Elliot hasn’t been given that chance bc he’s been stacked at Clemson and that’s my point. I’d prefer a proven winner over a oh he could be good or he may not be hire

Not true at all. Why does Clemson pay their coordinators almost 2 mil? Second if teams are equal in talent, wouldn't that makes scheme even more important. Third go look at the recruiting rankings Clemson has less talent then Bama. Dabo is made by who he has surrounded himself with. Saban knows he can coach and turn guys over. Dabo can't or he would.
This dude is less qualified than Pruitt was, what do you mean?

Didn't Pruitt have a top 5 class (even as high as #2 at one point) within last 6 months or so?
He did. And for a good while it was ranked 2nd. I just think with the coming NCAA trouble and the dumpster fire still raging with no end in sight that the damage is irreversible. It’s just my opinion. As a fan it sucks and makes me sad but I’m coming to the realization that Tennessee football isn’t coming back. The program has been down too long.

Reactions: davethevol
What skills are you and others talking about? Define these unique skills or experiences--that only head coaches would have--that are needed to deal with the current dumpster fire? Seriously.

What else is there that can be done other than recruit better players (and as many as the NCAA allows you each year), hire the best possible staff who share your values and philosophy, earn trust, elucidate a plan, build relationships, create a winning culture, develop the players you have, and cut commercials with First Horizon and Farm Bureau.

Tony Elliott has spent 10 years on staff with Clemson. Before that he played at Clemson. He is someone who is going to have get acclimated to just stepping foot on another campus. He would be going from calling Dabo Swinney's plays, from Dabo Swinney's playbook, with Dabo Swinney's players to...FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER...
Build a staff, build a strategy, build a culture... contractual obligations to the university, personnel decisions, scheduling of team activities, etc.

Theres a lot of difference in being then assistant manager that heads up one department as oppose to the general manager that runs place.

Tony Elliott knows how to run the Clemson offense. Dabo Swinney runs the Clemson program.

Can Tony Elliott deal with the added stress that comes with being the guy that makes the decisions vs being the guy that delegates what his boss wants his department to do?

Reactions: Steve_Smith89
1 year as a coordinator. No head coaching experience. You know, Pruitt was/is considered a guru and had been a national championship win ing DC at two places. This would be a monstrously deflating hire. One can only hope if it's him we finally luck out and he ends up the real deal, because obviously we're too stupid to stop trying to go on the cheap and the up n comers.
This

Did he swing big? Did he have enough time to? If we roll Elliott out as HC. Did we really swing big, or did we just settle for yet another "up and comer"?

If that is swinging big, the result is one of those dribblers down the line that the 3rd baseman waits to go foul, and the ball just stops at the line. Everybody just looks at the ball and says, "well". It's scored as a single, but the crowd was waiting for an HR.

Reactions: Tennessee Cowboy
Zoom meetings have sped things up
And Elliotts name has been the only named leaked out, which happened because of time was pressed, he was almost late to players meeting over the “call” and the apparent leak which caused him to address the athletic dept of integrity and privacy of privilege info, in short he threatened to fire them if any more info leaked out, why our good buddy mr stoerner_fumbles now can’t get who the top pick is, only been hints, volnation needs to chill, I’ll wait til stoerner says Elliotts the guy before I believe Ferrell

Reactions: rockytop36
We have to trust the process and the hire until we have a reason not to. I’m not super excited if he’s the guy but we can’t equate him to Pruitt right from the start either just because he’s an OC. The best HCs didn’t usually start as a HC either.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
If you want to tell the truth but not the whole truth, you say:
“Elliott was offered the coaching job at TN”
but most people are forgetting that TN Titans are in hunt for an OC position. Nobody is technically lying.

Same people defending this hire defended Pruitt too. This guy is less qualified than even Pruitt was. His first HC job needs to be at a school like Memphis or something not freaking Tennessee.

I didn't defend Pruitt at all and am defending this one if he is hired. He isn't Pruitt. He's damn smart, he's a great coach, has had massive success, he's a great recruiter and is widely respected. There won't be people talking about Tennessee making a mistake because Pruitt was a known ass at his prior stops. He is highly educated and won't sound like he fell off the cornbread truck. He's turned down 3 different NFL jobs in the past 2 years. Pruitt never sniffed an NFL offer. Tons of people get their first job at major schools. I've listed many of them. General Neyland went from an assistant to having his first head coaching job here. Fulmer did. Oklahoma hires nothing but coordinators. and Georgia has hired nothing but coordinators this century too. Every traditional power school except for Michigan has hired a coordinator for their HC in the 21st century. He isn't remotely less qualified than Pruitt.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
You make valid points but let’s not pretend Elliot doesn’t have stacked talent on offense to work with. To me a good coach is a coach who can overachieve given what he’s got. Elliot hasn’t been given that chance bc he’s been stacked at Clemson and that’s my point. I’d prefer a proven winner over a oh he could be good or he may not be hire
So we want an experienced offensive minded Power 5 HC who is a great recruiter who has never had trouble with the NCAA who has a high winning percentage every season using less talented players and who is willing to leave their current position.

That should narrow our search down considerably.

I didn't defend Pruitt at all and am defending this one if he is hired. He isn't Pruitt. He's damn smart, he's a great coach, has had massive success, he's a great recruiter and is widely respected. There won't be people talking about Tennessee making a mistake because Pruitt was a known ass at his prior stops. He is highly educated and won't sound like he fell off the cornbread truck. He's turned down 3 different NFL jobs in the past 2 years. Pruitt never sniffed an NFL offer. Tons of people get their first job at major schools. I've listed many of them. General Neyland went from an assistant to having his first head coaching job here. Fulmer did. Oklahoma hires nothing but coordinators. and Georgia has hired nothing but coordinators this century too. Every traditional power school except for Michigan has hired a coordinator for their HC in the 21st century. He isn't remotely less qualified than Pruitt.

I hear you,
But, Fulmer inherited a prebuilt machine.

To me Stoops was a no-brainer, do you think Elliott is a no-brainer as well?

If it weren’t for the shape that the UT program was currently in I would probably be extremely excited. This is a lot for any HC to step into much less a first time HC. I hope he makes a fool of me and I end up having to eat my words and a big ass plate of crow. A revolt like last time would be stupid and only make the fans look worse and anyone who even considers getting on social media and acting like an idiot should be ashamed of themselves.

Nobody knows anything at this point.

Trust our AD, remain positive and wait for some official announcement and explanation.

Our roster and recruiting class are taking hits now.

We do have investigations ongoing by UT and the NCAA.

Nobody has any idea how hard the NCAA will hammer us.

Most good, experienced HC's would never even think about coming here right now and risking their careers.

I trust our AD to get the best he's able to get right now under these horrid situations.

He could have to be settling for whatever he can get to get things stable and get through the NCAA sanctions and his 2nd step after all is settled in 3 or 4 years or less is to then go get the HC that can finish this rebuild and get the WINS and Championships.

1 step at a time is what this process is going to take to get back to WIN our division, then the SEC and then the Natty.

Stay positive and just be supportive of the steps as they move along no matter how hard it is to find positive things as each step takes place.

Being negative never made anything better in most cases.

VFL...GBO!!!

So we want an experienced offensive minded Power 5 HC who is a great recruiter who has never had trouble with the NCAA who has a high winning percentage every season using less talented players and who is willing to leave their current position.

I don’t care about hiring a innocent goodie good I want to hire a winner. You think Sabans hands are clean? Think anyone cares that he’s crooked while he’s winning a title every other year?

This post should be in the coaching search HOF. It's exceptionally rare for a coach to make a move like that. Saban was mad at Miami over their rejection of Brees and Alabama made him the highest paid coach in CFB history by 50 percent. Jimbo Fisher was mad at FSU and got out while getting the biggest contract in SEC history basically at 75 million dollars. Great P5 head coaches almost never leave their program for another program. It just doesn't happen barring extra ordinary circumstances.

I know we are in hate coordinator mode because of Pruitt. We are also in hate G5 mode because of Butch. That leaves White with no choice but someone who is going to make half the fan base cry and moan because they aren't going to gamble on Freeze barring a miracle.. But I trust White far more than I trust Fulmer or the last few clowns who had to a man never had to hire a head football coach above maybe Hart hiring a coach at ECU 30 years ago.

I don’t care about hiring a innocent goodie good I want to hire a winner. You think Sabans hands are clean? Think anyone cares that he’s crooked while he’s winning a title every other year?
Maybe you don't care but the University has to care. If they hire a guy and we have another major Cat 1 cheating scandal in the next five years, we are in death penalty territory.

I hear you,
But, Fulmer inherited a prebuilt machine.

To me Stoops was a no-brainer, do you think Elliott is a no-brainer as well?

I know his offense has shredded the SEC and Clemson has beaten Alabama, Auburn, and Texas A&M multiple times in the last few years. I know he won the Broyles Award for best assistant in the nation, Pruitt never did. I know he's won recruiter of the year. I know Pete Carroll wanted him, so did the Dolphins and Titans. I know the kids that play for him love him. I know he's smart because he has an industrial engineering degree. Neyland also had an engineering degree. I know that Clemson had a bad day on offense without him vs Ohio State. It was the first bad day on offense Clemson has had in a long time. Mostly, if he were hired, I trust he'd be good because I trust White's decision making process at hiring a coach far more than I did Fulmer's.

All that said, I don't know that he'd accept the job here. He's been fairly dismissive of other offers in the last couple of years and has said the situation would have to be exactly right for him to go. He basically said he didn't have much interest in South Carolina back in November.

VN Store

Back