Thoughts after game 1?

You can't judge the pass rush from tonight. The defensive calls were very vanilla. The offense was as well. Coaches weren't going to show anything to Pitt in tonight's game. Tonight - no stunts and very little blitzing. The Pitt game will definitely be tough.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be, at least, concerned about how the d-line didn't get much push at all. And #4 is just terrible, it is what it is. No need to panic but concerned, yes.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
You can't judge the pass rush from tonight. The defensive calls were very vanilla. The offense was as well. Coaches weren't going to show anything to Pitt in tonight's game. Tonight - no stunts and very little blitzing. The Pitt game will definitely be tough.
Vanilla calls or not, we should have physically dominated them on the line, we didn't.

We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
Late in the game that I saw Pitt's defense was pouring through WVA's o line. If they do that to our o line we might be in trouble. Our D better be much better than I saw tonight. Not that confident now against Pitt. Hopefully our offense can put up enough points that their offense doesn't run at will over our defense. It's concerning from what I saw. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: sunnyvol79
I keep seeing people mention the lack of pressure but did anyone notice how quick they were getting the ball out? They were hitting a lot of short routes and most of them Burrell was covering. Most teams will probably target him.

You do understand constructive criticism, and identifying issues that could be worrisome down the road, right? Kind of like the coaches will do tomorrow when examining the film. Same deal, just from an armchair QB. If your opinion differs, I’m ok with it.
Let’s hope the coaches don’t waste their precious time berating the O-Line and Backs for 200 yards and 5 TDs in basically three quarters worth of work.

I keep seeing people mention the lack of pressure but did anyone notice how quick they were getting the ball out? They were hitting a lot of short routes and most of them Burrell was covering. Most teams will probably target him.

It’s no coincidence that when that QB was in trouble he chucked it up in Burell’s direction almost every time.

Reactions: VolSummitt44
We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
You just couldn’t wait to be negative could you. We beat a team by like 40 points in the first game and you can’t find anything positive. I sure hope our players don’t see comments like yours.

Lol all talk I got 250 dollars that say we cover the - spread Vs Pitt next week with ease…

Reactions: CSVol
I don't think you can extrapolate much of anything about the Pitt and Florida games from this performance.

It's a first game tune up, and we put up 59 points and held them scoreless for half the game. We didn't struggle in any major aspect of the game other than third down defence, and coverage in the secondary, which were both a problem last season as well.

Overall, I think we were quite a bit better than last year, but it is a little concerning that we have the same problems as last year on defense. Maybe we will be better as the competition gets better, but probably not.

I just hope we can put up big numbers against the big boys. Otherwise, our w/l record will likely not change very much.

I actually thought that QB was pretty decent with all the pressure he faced. Heck he even pulled a Patrick Mahomes circus sidearm throw to beat Hadden on a corner blitz once.
If I’m not mistaken, both interceptions were a direct result of the QB having a dude in his face.
These dudes crying about us not having any sacks are just parroting SEC network postgame show talking points.
First INT was not really pressured, just a great read by Bailey on the "razzle dazzle" play to stay home.

We need pressure on the QB, it's true, or SEC QBs will pick their spots on us and it won't be pretty. I'll give it another game, another set of film for the coaches and players to watch, and if by FL we still aren't fighting to the QB, we will have problems in the SEC.

But they did get a lot of pressure.
It just did not turn into sacks.
But QB pressures? Yup!
- incompletions yes
- interceptions yes (2)

Let's just let these guys dig in a bit.

We'll have a better gauge next week.
Me personally I am highly encouraged.
Aside from a delayed ILB blitz or two, I didn't see much of any blitz packages from our starters.
I didn't see any stunts from our DL, or our starting edge rushers getting moved around either.
If I'd seen that, I might feel worse about no sacks.

You can always look for areas to improve, but I didn't see anything to make me feel worse about Pitt.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
First INT was not really pressured, just a great read by Bailey on the "razzle dazzle" play to stay home.

We need pressure on the QB, it's true, or SEC QBs will pick their spots on us and it won't be pretty. I'll give it another game, another set of film for the coaches and players to watch, and if by FL we still aren't fighting to the QB, we will have problems in the SEC.
You should go back and watch that play again because Beasley hit the QB pretty hard. And MCDONALD made the pick.

Tim Banks isn’t the guy at DC. I said it last year I didn’t like the hire and I still don’t.

Reactions: tnvols72

Don’t you mean McDonald?

VN Store

Back