Thoughts after game 1?

There'd better be a question to CJH about Juwan Mitchell from the press. He's needed and whatever is going on needs to be addressed.

From the looks of Pitt tonight, they're not going to have confidence when we see them, even though they just pulled off a miracle.

The D looked every bit as surprising as the D depth chart looked. I'm not convinced Banks has the group of starters he wants...... at all.

Reactions: sunnyvol79
We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.

I don't think you can extrapolate much of anything about the Pitt and Florida games from this performance.

It's a first game tune up, and we put up 59 points and held them scoreless for half the game. We didn't struggle in any major aspect of the game other than third down defence, and coverage in the secondary, which were both a problem last season as well.

The lack of pressure is fair imo.
But they did get a lot of pressure.
It just did not turn into sacks.
But QB pressures? Yup!
- incompletions yes
- interceptions yes (2)

Let's just let these guys dig in a bit.

We'll have a better gauge next week.
Me personally I am highly encouraged.

It’s sarcasm. Y’all are whining and crying in a game where we gave up 10 points. You want them to not allow a yard?!
Still a terrible analogy.

Tennessee has not been on Georgia's level in a long time.

So you can't blame people for complaining about bad defense

We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
Stupid take. We haven’t even seen Florida play a down yet. Also, ball state did a good job of getting the ball out quickly which is why we didn’t have many sacks. DBs looked pretty bad (mostly Burrell) but we’ll just have to wait and see

Defense was fine. Ball State got rid of the ball quick with those 3 step drops. 5/14 and 0/2 on 3rd and 4th down conversions. We had some missed tackles but the defense flew around to the ball and caused two TOs (3 for the game but that fumble was handed to us). Outside of the last possession of the 1st half and 1st possession of the 2nd half the defense played well especially with so many players getting reps. Hadden should start going forward.

Offense was very vanilla and the defense dropped 8 most of the game. Made us nickel and dime our way down the field. Hendon looked good except for 2-3 throws and the run game with Small was really good. I think Mincey should start at LT going forward.

GBF🍊

It’s year 2. Some people need to chill. I think we looked great. If we go 8-4 or 9-3 I will be happy. We just need to keep recruiting and build depth. We need to get to a point where we can start stringing along winning seasons year after year. If we can do that we will be back to where we can be an elite program again.

Overall report:

I believe the offense held their own and did a great job. As long as you have hooker leading this offense, I'm not concerned with that unit. Scale 1-10, I would give the offense an 8.

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down convertions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively, this side of the ball gets a 3. 0 sacks and Paddock had all day to throw, we were very fortunate that he was an inexperienced QB

Tennessee has a good team but not a great team. When you see Georgia or Alabama play against cupcakes, you can see the sheer talent emerge from multiple players, in Tennessee's case, I haven't seen that in a UT player besides Hooker.

Tennessee will compete against most of the SEC this season, still a year or two away from getting on Alabama's level

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!
Defense was embarrassing? My goodness some people are ridiculous with their takes. We gave up 74 rush yards on 26 attempts. That’s 2.8 ypc….had they ran all over us i would be more concerned. Sure not having any sacks is a concern but a lot of that was due to vanilla playcalling and on top of that none of our DBs were playing any press coverage.

VN Store

Back