Thoughts after game 1?

Vols till I fall

Overall report:

I believe the offense held their own and did a great job. As long as you have hooker leading this offense, I'm not concerned with that unit. Scale 1-10, I would give the offense an 8.

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down convertions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively, this side of the ball gets a 3. 0 sacks and Paddock had all day to throw, we were very fortunate that he was an inexperienced QB

Tennessee has a good team but not a great team. When you see Georgia or Alabama play against cupcakes, you can see the sheer talent emerge from multiple players, in Tennessee's case, I haven't seen that in a UT player besides Hooker.

Tennessee will compete against most of the SEC this season, still a year or two away from getting on Alabama's level

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!

Last edited:
Offensively we were vanilla and still got things done very nicely. Hard to complain about anything in the first half.

Defensively, the lack of defense on the slant and the lack of penetration - NO SACKS TONIGHT AT ALL! - seriously concern me going forward. These are things we MUST take care of if we want to go 10-2 or maybe even 9-3.

Overall report:

I believe the offense held their own and did a great job. As long as you have hooker leading this offense, I'm not concerned with that unit. Scale 1-10, I would give the offense an 8.

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down conversitions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively tonight, this side of the ball gets a 3.

Tennessee has a good team but not a great team. When you see Georgia or Alabama play against cupcakes, you can see the sheer talent emerge from multiple players, in Tennessee's case, I haven't seen that in a UT player besides Hooker.

Tennessee will compete against most of the SEC this season, still a year or two away from getting on Alabama's level

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!
38-0 at Halftime

What more should they have done?

Overall report:

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down conversitions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively tonight, this side of the ball gets a 3.

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!

Those "conversitions" are concerning.

Overall report:

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!
Defense had 3 turnovers and a bunch of defensive stops.

Not sure what you wanted to see.

We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
You haven't even seen Florida play yet, and Pitts defense is not close to last years.

I'm feeling good about both of those games if Heupel has another play selection chart versed on offense.

Bru, Hyatt and Tillman look like #1 WRs.
Need to get those guys running in stride moving forward.

You haven't even seen Florida play yet, and Pitts defense is not close to last years.

I'm feeling good about both of those games if Heupel has another play selection chart versed on offense.

Bru, Hyatt and Tillman look like #1 WRs.
Need to get those guys running in stride moving forward.
I’m a nervous nellie of a fan.

VN Store

Back