Thoughts after game 1?

I agree but I understand that people think we should’ve had a sack or two. We did get some pressure on him though and their offensive line is decent.
We got 7 QB pressures to be exact.
3 TFL.
We forced 3 turovers that resulted in 17 points.

Ball State averaged 2.7 yards per carry.
Their QB threw 43 times and only had 1 TD

ANYONE can tell you about me and my criticism of Heupel, DLine from my time on the recruiting forum. When I see something wrong I will definitely call it out. Offense or defense.
This is a unit that will get better and better and they're already better than last years defense.

Those people that are overreacting can't even equate the game plan of the defense in week 1. Very vanilla and the task was to get our guys to motor without blitzing from LBs DBs.

Not worried at as of right now. Burrell is a concern, but we can perhaps replace him now.

We're a better team from last year. I can already see that.

Here’s a real concern: RB depth and Justin Williams-Thomas fumbling at the mesh point. As I understand it 99% of the time mesh point fumbles are the QBs fault but with as thin as we are we can’t afford a RB with ball security issues.
That was QBs fault. Freshman QB.
Watch it again.

We got 7 QB pressures to be exact.
3 TFL.
We forced 3 turovers that resulted in 17 points.

Ball State averaged 2.7 yards per carry.
Their QB threw 43 times and only had 1 TD

ANYONE can tell you about me and my criticism of Heupel, DLine from my time on the recruiting forum. When I see something wrong I will definitely call it out. Offense or defense.
This is a unit that will get better and better and they're already better than last years defense.

Those people that are overreacting can't even equate the game plan of the defense in week 1. Very vanilla and the task was to get our guys to motor without blitzing from LBs DBs.

Not worried at as of right now. Burrell is a concern, but we can perhaps replace him now.

We're a better team from last year. I can already see that.

Uh oh, more stats and logic.

Bold strategy, cotton.

Reactions: Fightmaker
Pros of this game-
Meaningful chemistry reps(offense)
Plenty of 3rd string experience added (what a program on the rise gets afforded in games like these)
Defense can address weaknesses after this performance. (They moved the ball against us well a few times)
Our defense blitz schemes weren’t executed well. We will have to be able to put effective pressure on the opposing defenses or we see 6-6 8-4 at best. Go Vols

Reactions: norrislakevol
We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
You are likely the most negative VN poster I remember.

Tonight’s game showed me we have 2 Qb’s who can win games tonight and a ton of speedy options at receiver. My opinion went from not knowing if we could beat Pitt and Florida to believing we are very likely to win both games.

The inability to create large running lanes on a consistent basis and pressure the QB and have explosive running plays against a team like Ball State is concerning. Seeing that Warren Burrell hasn’t improved much and is still starting is a concern too

The WRs looked good and Aaron Beasley was all over the place early on. If Mitchell can get healthy and stay that way I like what we have there. I think Jimmy Holiday eventually becomes a starting WR this year also. Bru is an absolute freak, but still needs some work

The skill on this team is there, but the game is won in the trenches and if we want to build on last year’s momentum and get 8-9 wins we’re going to have to improve in that area and do it quickly

Last edited:
When have we ever beat a team that we aren't supposed to by 49? You clearly haven't been a Tennessee fan over the last decade

We weren’t supposed to beat Ball St by 49 and we did. We weren’t supposed to beat Missouri by 38. We did. We weren’t supposed to beat South Carolina by 25. We did.

You do understand constructive criticism, and identifying issues that could be worrisome down the road, right? Kind of like the coaches will do tomorrow when examining the film. Same deal, just from an armchair QB. If your opinion differs, I’m ok with it.
Newsflash. Doberman is concerned we are not at Alabama’s and Georgia’s level yet. Time to panic and write off the season.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Here’s a real concern: RB depth and Justin Williams-Thomas fumbling at the mesh point. As I understand it 99% of the time mesh point fumbles are the QBs fault but with as thin as we are we can’t afford a RB with ball security issues.

Let me get this straight. This is JWT first time playing in a college game. He makes a mistake and all of a sudden it’s a concern and he has ball security issues? Jesus Christ. Some of you just actively look for something to complain about.

The inability to create large running lanes on a consistent basis and pressure the QB against a team like Ball State is concerning. Seeing that Warren Burrell hasn’t improved much and is still starting is a concern too

The WRs looked good and Aaron Beasley was all over the place early on. If Mitchell can get healthy and stay that way I like what we have there. I think Jimmy Holiday eventually becomes a starting WR this year also. Bru is an absolute freak, but still needs some work

The skill on this team is there, but the game is won in the trenches and if we want to build on last year’s momentum and get 8-9 wins we’re going to have to improve in that area and do it quickly

Holliday starting at KR and back up WR is nice. That's a nice depth player that will always be eager to shine on KR. He's definitely gonna help our team.

When Mincey went in at LT, there was a difference in the push on our Oline.

The inability to create large running lanes on a consistent basis and pressure the QB and have explosive running plays against a team like Ball State is concerning. Seeing that Warren Burrell hasn’t improved much and is still starting is a concern too

The WRs looked good and Aaron Beasley was all over the place early on. If Mitchell can get healthy and stay that way I like what we have there. I think Jimmy Holiday eventually becomes a starting WR this year also. Bru is an absolute freak, but still needs some work ll

Holliday,Merrill, Squirrel and Keyton will have their opportunities in relief and should produce but I do not believe anyone will replace Hyatt, Tillman & Bru as starters unless they are injured.

Holliday starting at KR and back up WR is nice. That's a nice depth player that will always be eager to shine on KR. He's definitely gonna help our team.

When Mincey went in at LT, there was a difference in the push on our Oline.
My biggest worry is that we all anticipated that regardless of how many question marks our back 7 had that we would at least have a good pass rush. I know we didn’t blitz much, but I don’t even think we touched their QB and our 5 up front should be able to beat Ball State’s OL at least a few times in an opening game. Hopefully next week we can turn it on though. I really wish the Pitt and Akron games were flipped. I just don’t see us winning that game after seeing our DL’s performance tonight. They need some serious work

Overall report:

I believe the offense held their own and did a great job. As long as you have hooker leading this offense, I'm not concerned with that unit. Scale 1-10, I would give the offense an 8.

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down convertions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively, this side of the ball gets a 3. 0 sacks and Paddock had all day to throw, we were very fortunate that he was an inexperienced QB

Tennessee has a good team but not a great team. When you see Georgia or Alabama play against cupcakes, you can see the sheer talent emerge from multiple players, in Tennessee's case, I haven't seen that in a UT player besides Hooker.

Tennessee will compete against most of the SEC this season, still a year or two away from getting on Alabama's level

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!
D looked terrible. Don’t know what Banks & Garner are doing but does not look like coaching. Pi$$ poor at best. Bama, GA, LSU, FL & KY going to hang 50 on us. How have we recruited so poorly on D?

D looked terrible. Don’t know what Banks & Garner are doing but does not look like coaching. Pi$$ poor at best. Bama, GA, LSU, FL & KY going to hang 50 on us. How have we recruited so poorly on D?
We only gave up a little over 300 yards in the game. That’s respectable in today’s game. Take some Ativan and relax. We are going to be Ok. 8-4 to 10-2 is our likely record this year.

Reactions: Misplaced Vol
As a Vol fan for over 50 years the first game freak out by some people is on full display. Ball St ran for 27 yards. We had 7 Qb hurries, we tackled well overall. Offense did what they were supposed too. Of course we have to get better and continue to improve. But this was game 1, way to early to get to high or low. Most teams improve quite a bit from game 1 to game game 2. Pitt has a good team, but I feel good about this team going to Pittsburgh and taking care of business. We let them off the hook last year, this year we’re going in all business! GBO

VN Store

Back