Thoughts after game 1?

Overall report:

I believe the offense held their own and did a great job. As long as you have hooker leading this offense, I'm not concerned with that unit. Scale 1-10, I would give the offense an 8.

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down convertions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively, this side of the ball gets a 3. 0 sacks and Paddock had all day to throw, we were very fortunate that he was an inexperienced QB

Tennessee has a good team but not a great team. When you see Georgia or Alabama play against cupcakes, you can see the sheer talent emerge from multiple players, in Tennessee's case, I haven't seen that in a UT player besides Hooker.

Tennessee will compete against most of the SEC this season, still a year or two away from getting on Alabama's level

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!

“Defensively, this side of the ball gets a 3. 0 sacks and Paddock had all day to throw,”

UT put pressure on the QB through the game. The reason for the interception was due to pressure on the QB. Also the defense had 7 QB hits. It’s hard to sack a QB that is throwing slants and quick outs and only doing 2-3 step drops.

We ran a very base defense and blanked them until we were into scrub time.

BS is a dink and dunk O. They won't take many sacks, and they won't have many chunk plays.

We handily won the turnover battle.

Offense was fast and clean, utilizing multiple targets.

If I had to criticize, I would have liked to have seen a more physical line on interior runs, but I don't think we wanted to show very much.

Enjoy a beat down and let's see what we look like next week.

I saw Beasley put on a tackling show in the first half.He is from my area and I've not been impressed with his tackling sense he's been at TN.Tonight I saw a different player out of Beasley.If our whole Defense plays at the level he did tonight,we will be just fine.

I noticed the same. I told my son “I think Beasley has made the first 5 tackles of the game .”

Reactions: Misplaced Vol
38-0 at Halftime

What more should they have done?

This is VN. Where even with a victory of 49 points is not enough. OP calls the defense embarrassing. That’s ridiculous. But we should have expected the down trodden Nancy’s to complain about something.

We won in dominating fashion. We got out pretty healthy. We only allowed 10 points. Why some just can’t sit back and enjoy a win is beyond me.

This is VN. Where even with a victory of 49 points is not enough. OP calls the defense embarrassing. That’s ridiculous. But we should have expected the down trodden Nancy’s to complain about something.

We won in dominating fashion. We got out pretty healthy. We only allowed 10 points. Why some just can’t sit back and enjoy a win is beyond me.

I think some fans are so used to getting their hopes up every year only to have them dashed that they would rather make a pessimistic prediction so that when things go bad they can at least say “hey I was right”.

Burrell was more willing in the run support than I've ever seen him.

Maybe it's the senior last go around so he's willing to lay it on the line.

However, he still struggles with feeling out pass defense.
Meanwhile Hadden looks like a natural.

Burrell will continue to contribute. Let's hope he gets lucky a little bit...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We need something. Not being able to generate more pressure with our front 4 against Ball St. is no bueno.

We actually generated pressure the entire game. Hard to get sacks when the QB is doing 3 step drops and the WRs running 7 yard comebacks thus the 6.3 yards per attempt.

We will learn alot about the defense next week.

If they do bad we cry about it. When we do good it’s because they were playing a JV team. So basically we just want to complain no matter what happens
Lmao, when have we been good over the last decade

Again, terrible analogy

Last edited:

When have we ever beat a team that we aren't supposed to by 49? You clearly haven't been a Tennessee fan over the last decade

Reactions: 508mikey
Here’s a real concern: RB depth and Justin Williams-Thomas fumbling at the mesh point. As I understand it 99% of the time mesh point fumbles are the QBs fault but with as thin as we are we can’t afford a RB with ball security issues.

VN Store

Back