Thoughts after game 1?

We will be lucky to split the Pitt and Florida games. From what I saw tonight we aren’t beating both of them and it wouldn’t shock me if we lost to them both.
Eh idk about that. We won 38-6 vs BG game 1 with Milton, would have beat Pitt handily (with their 1st round QB) if not for Milton’s overthrows. Could we lose 1 or both? Sure, but I think we pull it out.

Y’all do realize we dropped 8 most of the game, and they stacked the O-Line with additional TE’s to keep us from sacking, right? Then they threw quick-outs all game.

In order to get sacks, we would either need to corner or safety blitz, or someone on defense would literally have to knock over an O-lineman to get to the QB.

The lack of sacks is not a concern at this point.

But they did get a lot of pressure.
It just did not turn into sacks.
But QB pressures? Yup!
- incompletions yes
- interceptions yes (2)

Let's just let these guys dig in a bit.

We'll have a better gauge next week.
Me personally I am highly encouraged.

I actually thought that QB was pretty decent with all the pressure he faced. Heck he even pulled a Patrick Mahomes circus sidearm throw to beat Walker on a corner blitz once.
If I’m not mistaken, both interceptions were a direct result of the QB having pressure in his face.
These dudes crying about us not having any sacks are just parroting SEC network postgame show talking points.

Last edited:
just not understanding the defensive line not having a push,, its not the strength coach,, something just aint right..

Reactions: Hbg
Overall report:

I believe the offense held their own and did a great job. As long as you have hooker leading this offense, I'm not concerned with that unit. Scale 1-10, I would give the offense an 8.

Defensive was kind of embarrassing tonight. If Ball state actually had a good QB and a decent head coach, this game would have been closer. Like years past, Tennessee continues to struggle Defending outside slants as well stopping third down convertions. That Defensive line tonight, very piss poor. Defensively, this side of the ball gets a 3. 0 sacks and Paddock had all day to throw, we were very fortunate that he was an inexperienced QB

Tennessee has a good team but not a great team. When you see Georgia or Alabama play against cupcakes, you can see the sheer talent emerge from multiple players, in Tennessee's case, I haven't seen that in a UT player besides Hooker.

Tennessee will compete against most of the SEC this season, still a year or two away from getting on Alabama's level

Go Vols! Beat Pitt!

Defense wasn’t as bad as you’re making it out to be. No sacks, but did we have to? No

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I think no sacks is also due to them getting the ball out quickly.

This is why I hate playing cupcakes. You make too many judgments and you don't really know what you have.

Pittsburgh just survived a slugfest with West Virginia. Fantastic game.

That helps us. They should still be Top 25 next week. We should have good film on them. They definitely had high emotions, could be hard to come back from and get ready again.

I like us getting the W next week.

Concerns:

All finesse. Lack of physicality on both sides of the ball.

Tackling early was a mess.

Power running game is just not there. Again, all finesse.

Secondary is, well….ugh

T. Banks, just not sold on him. At all.

Thank goodness for Hooker, our WRs, and the scheme. It will cover a lot of our deficiencies.

Yall need to calm down. If we give up 500 yards to Pitt, THEN you can panic a little. Tonight we were super conservative and super vanilla by design. I would've loved to have seen more pressure with 4 rushing, but next week will be way more telling about this defense.

We ran it down their throat for over 200 yards and punched the ball in on the ground from within the 10 yard line 5 times with 4 different players…..

And? It’s a junior high team. This concern over not having a power back is not a novel thought. And nothing has changed.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
But they did get a lot of pressure.
It just did not turn into sacks.
But QB pressures? Yup!
- incompletions yes
- interceptions yes (2)

Let's just let these guys dig in a bit.

We'll have a better gauge next week.
Me personally I am highly encouraged.
Plus most every throw was out of the qb’s hand within 3 seconds. I flipped over to the Pitt game during commercials and we’re going to need to hold line gaps and stop the run more than pressuring the qb. The DT’s and LB’s will have to have big games

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We played pretty vanilla. I wouldn’t put that much stock from this game.Burrell worries more than anything. Dline worries me some, but did get more of a rush after they settled in. Juwan Mitchell and Dee Williams will be needed. Overall, big difference in the first game this year to last year.

Of course. Why would you change your mind in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

You do understand constructive criticism, and identifying issues that could be worrisome down the road, right? Kind of like the coaches will do tomorrow when examining the film. Same deal, just from an armchair QB. If your opinion differs, I’m ok with it.

VN Store

Back