Thoughts after game 1?

I was a little underwhelmed by our talent (outside Hooker) but we played hard and dominated an inferior opponent on the scoreboard. I don't see us beating ALA or UGA though. Think we will be competitive with all the rest though.

I give the offense a B+ grade and defense a C. I think our pass game was great but I’m a little worried about the run game when we play better teams. Ball State was able to throw the ball around on our defense, hope our pass defense gets better for the Pitt game. Our run defense seemed good.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Last night was weird to watch. It is arguably one of our most dominating opening day performances ever but it just looked so easy and mellow it never felt like the crushing it was. Hard to explain but it maybe it's the play pacing that doesn't allow time to celebrate or think about what just happened. It was methodical and persistent.

Joe looked good minus a couple of heaters, Sampson is going to be fun, and I don't think anyone got hurt. It was the first game and played conservatively.
McDonald was OK?

I give the offense a B+ grade and defense a C. I think our pass game was great but I’m a little worried about the run game when we play better teams. Ball State was able to throw the ball around on our defense, hope our pass defense gets better for the Pitt game. Our run defense seemed good.
A c? Lol

Ball State pretty much got 17 points on our D.

Why is wvu not very good? I think the line was less than a tuddy. 5th year QB that when healthy has looked pretty good in his career. bad o-line but I liked how they ran the ball, defense seemed to play fast and swarm from what I’ve seen. It was a tight rivalry game. Looked like two decent teams playing a week 1 game to me. Now, on the other side I did just call them both decent I don’t think they are good but hard to tell this early. Next week will be a good test for both teams and probably reveals little about both teams. Pitt did struggle to run last night.

I don't know that WVU isn't good but they haven't been for the last three years which is all I can go by

Ball State pretty much got 17 points on our D.

No they didn't, three of those points came from a turnover inside the 20 and were held to a field goal. The other almost score came at the end of the first half when UT had already packed it in. For all intents and purposes the defense gave up one real drive to BSU

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Sure I do. There is about a half dozen of you very unhappy with an almost error free 49 point win. I bet your almost always miserable.
Because if you aren’t finding something to improve each week, you are guaranteed to flop face First into the ground eventually. Ask Saban how many games he has been satisfied with in his career…..

38-0 at Halftime

What more should they have done?
They could have been a lot better against the pass.

For whatever reason, Banks had the CB's 10 yds off. Any time UT blitzed or got push, their QB just hit a 5 yd slant, out, or slant. I think they had some automatics too. UT would have 10 yd cushions. BSU would cut the DL and hit those little 5 yd passes.

If Banks doesn't get more aggressive and start knocking receivers off their routes and timing... you can blame the DL all you like but the failure is scheme.

They could have been a lot better against the pass.

For whatever reason, Banks had the CB's 10 yds off. Any time UT blitzed or got push, their QB just hit a 5 yd slant, out, or slant. I think they had some automatics too. UT would have 10 yd cushions. BSU would cut the DL and hit those little 5 yd passes.

If Banks doesn't get more aggressive and start knocking receivers off their routes and timing... you can blame the DL all you like but the failure is scheme.
I’m honestly not going to read too much into the scheming for this game. I didn’t really see it as something where we needed to play hard and so they didn’t. I think they, correctly imo, schemed to protect players from injury more than anything.

Reactions: Hairy Vols

Didn’t eclipse 300 yards and had more interceptions than touchdowns.. Started off the game with a crucial interception as well.. they also created 3 turnovers.

They called less than 10 blitzes the entire night. It was a vanilla day. Our defense dominated.

Not sure why the running backs are too small for SEC play. Small is at 213 this year. Georgia's returning leading rusher is 210. Alabama's returning leader is 200 and the heaviest RB on their roster is 214. Texas A&M's returning leader is 185. Ole Miss's returning leader is 200. Florida's returning leader is 218. Missouri's leading rusher last night weighs 206, the leading carry guy weighs 215. South Carolina's returning leader weighs 205 and their second leading returning guy weighs 212. Auburn's 1100 yard top returning guy is 213, same as Small.

The list goes on and on. Our RB room is similar in size to most of the SEC's rb room. The vast majority of RBs in the league fall between 5'9-6'1" and 190-215lbs.

They are scatbacks and will not be able to run the ball when the defense knows they are running. This maybe partly the fault of the Oline but the results looked similar to last season. They will be OK but I was hoping for a group that could run whenever they want. 3rd down and 3 or 4 will be tough.

No they didn't, three of those points came from a turnover inside the 20 and were held to a field goal. The other almost score came at the end of the first half when UT had already packed it in. For all intents and purposes the defense gave up one real drive to BSU
Did you forget the fumble into the end zone? Or is that your inside the 20 reference?

"Will Jones fumbled at the end of a long run after the catch. Jones was initially ruled out of bounds inside the 5-yard line. After review, though, officials ruled that Jones fumbled before going out of bounds, and the ball hit the pylon for a touchback, giving Tennessee the ball at its own 20-yard line."

Did you forget the fumble into the end zone? Or is that your inside the 20 reference?

"Will Jones fumbled at the end of a long run after the catch. Jones was initially ruled out of bounds inside the 5-yard line. After review, though, officials ruled that Jones fumbled before going out of bounds, and the ball hit the pylon for a touchback, giving Tennessee the ball at its own 20-yard line."

Just say you didn't watch the game, it was the last few seconds of the half and UT had already packed it in as I stated

VN Store

Back