Thoughts after game 1?

Don't get too caught up in our defensive performance last night as we purposely weren't going at full throttle.

We were substituting on the first drive with LBs.
We got 3 turnovers, including 2 ints
Held Ball St to 10 points even with massive use of reserves
Didn't blitz once last night.

Bottom line: I don't think we wanted to show all of our cards for Pitt.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Not when they dropped 8 back most of the night

We didn't in the 1st quarter.

I realize the most improvement comes between game 1 and game 2 so I'm not freaking out but concerned about our D-line.

Started strong. Scored a lot and held them to few points. Definitely better than recent past years.

I would speculate that UT's defense was vanilla. Not sure though, so can't predict what they will look like against Pitt.

Despite the score, offense looked a little rusty. To be expected.

Go Vols!

Overall, well pleased with last night's game. We beat the spread which everyone was saying was extremely unlikely so that tells me did better than most people thought we would.

I think there are things that we need to work on and things that went really well.
Pitt will be interesting to see if this team does what last year's team did and get consistently better each week.

The offense looked good. The defensive line is a major concern. If they play like that against SEC competition, it's going to be a long season. If we can't get a pass rush against Ball State, we will get lit up when we start playing real QBs.

Ball State put out 11 players on Offense and on Defense. Say what you want about them, but they are athletes who work just as hard as UT players. May not be as talented as the Vol players, but they gave it their all last night and our Offense and Defense did dominate, esp for the first game of the season. Happy this game is behind us and hats off to CJH, his staff and the players. Well done UT, well done!

Next!

Anything short of a 20 sack 10 int shutout was gonna draw criticism from some posters.

Correct, they live in a dream world where we have the Steel Curtain on defense and our offense is Tom Bradyesque. We won 7 games last year and played a team that came off of a bowl season the year before. We are at best an 8-9 win team if we get a few breaks going our way. Every year starts the same, crazy high expectations and unmet performances. It never fails lol

Impressive performance overall, but defensive line still isn't close to championship caliber. All the other units are pretty I think.

Our front seven should have been able to apply pressure and get at least 1 sack without "wrinkles".

I am not smart enough to know whether to be concerned or not. What is the average seconds post snap for sacks? What was the average AND longest time before their QB released the ball? Were our edge guys concentrating on pressures or containment since they were mixing up the runs and passes pretty well. Did we see anyone lay their ears back? Don't have a clue.

Don't get too caught up in our defensive performance last night as we purposely weren't going at full throttle.

We were substituting on the first drive with LBs.
We got 3 turnovers, including 2 ints
Held Ball St to 10 points even with massive use of reserves
Didn't blitz once last night.

Bottom line: I don't think we wanted to show all of our cards for Pitt.
Tennessee blitzed often on third down. Watch again.

All I meant in my posts about the defense is they are still clearly well behind where this offense can take us. I suspect we will improve, and I liked their overall performance, but hoped to see more TFL or sacks.

Reactions: HalfullVol
All I meant in my posts about the defense is they are still clearly well behind where this offense can take us. I suspect we will improve, and I liked their overall performance, but hoped to see more TFL or sacks.

IF we can generate turnovers on defense consistently, I don't care if we have a sack all season long because we aren't going to hold many opponents below 30 points so turnovers are key

IF we can generate turnovers on defense consistently, I don't care if we have a sack all season long because we aren't going to hold many opponents below 30 points so turnovers are key
I don't disagree, but feel they work hand in hand. Pitt will help us confirm where we are.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I don't disagree, but feel they work hand in hand. Pitt will help us confirm where we are.

I don't know that it will. I don't know how good Pitt is. WVU isn't very good and beating Pitt may give us a false sense of arrival, losing to Pitt will be very telling imo. It's not a good situation for us and a needlessly challenging game early on. We need two more warm ups before going into SEC play

Next week will tell us a lot. LOS could of been better. Burrell got picked on. They weren't doing anything fancy though. Just lining up and keeping stuff in front of them. It was a first game against a team you should beat handily and they did. So on to the next one.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I don't know that it will. I don't know how good Pitt is. WVU isn't very good and beating Pitt may give us a false sense of arrival, losing to Pitt will be very telling imo. It's not a good situation for us and a needlessly challenging game early on. We need two more warm ups before going into SEC play
Why is wvu not very good? I think the line was less than a tuddy. 5th year QB that when healthy has looked pretty good in his career. bad o-line but I liked how they ran the ball, defense seemed to play fast and swarm from what I’ve seen. It was a tight rivalry game. Looked like two decent teams playing a week 1 game to me. Now, on the other side I did just call them both decent I don’t think they are good but hard to tell this early. Next week will be a good test for both teams and probably reveals little about both teams. Pitt did struggle to run last night.

VN Store

Back