The Official Chicago Cubby Bears Thread

Baseball is so funny. The Cubs have played 9 games, which is 5.5% of the season. Some of this stuff the fans are calling for is like calling for the house of an NFL team to be cleaned late in the fourth quarter of Week 1.

Having said that, the bullpen is bad, was bad last year, and nothing was done to address it (sounds an awful lot like the Braves). This is on Epstein, not Maddon.

However, I also wonder if large parts of the clubhouse have tuned Maddon out. There were rumors of him leaving after last year, it's the last year on his contract, and Epstein didn't re-sign him. If they don't win the WS this year, I wonder if it is last year. I'm a big believer in the concept of coaches, especially coaches of professional teams where roster turnover is lower, having shelf lives. Even the great coaches (they just have longer shelf lives than the bad ones). Eventually your messaging, approach, demeanor, etc. get old with the players and some of them start checking out.

Last edited:
Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
Baseball is so funny. The Cubs have played 9 games, which is 5.5% of the season. Some of this stuff the fans are calling for is like calling for the house of an NFL team to be cleaned late in the first quarter of Week 1.

Having said that, the bullpen is bad, was bad last year, and nothing was done to address it (sounds an awful lot like the Braves). This is on Epstein, not Maddon.

However, I also wonder if large parts of the clubhouse have tuned Maddon out. There were rumors of him leaving after last year, it's the last year on his contract, and Epstein didn't re-sign him. If they don't win the WS this year, I wonder if it is last year. I'm a big believer in the concept of coaches, especially coaches of professional teams where roster turnover is lower, having shelf lives. Even the great coaches (they just have longer shelf lives than the bad ones). Eventually your messaging, approach, demeanor, etc. get old with the players and some of them start checking out.
Strong analysis, right on the money

Kyle Hendricks dominates for 8 innings and also drives in 2 runs with a double tonight against the Reds. Cubs have won 22 out of the last 28 games.

Hamels looked really good, today. 8 innings, gave up only 3 hits, one walk and ZERO runs. The best division in baseball, NL Central, is over with, Cubs by 10 games, see u all in late October

SP-cubs-still-suck-button-busy-beaver-button-museum.png

Reactions: Smokeytom
Hamels looked really good, today. 8 innings, gave up only 3 hits, one walk and ZERO runs. The best division in baseball, NL Central, is over with, Cubs by 10 games, see u all in late October
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜πŸ˜‚We #St. Louis Cardinals are watching your 10 game lead!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’₯πŸ’₯😳

VN Store

Back