The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Here is Beardedvols doppelgänger doing his usual. Anytime anyone posts anything positive about JG, you come in to play Johnny Raincloud. Seems strange that you revel in trying to diminish JG. Actually its beyond sad that a so called Vol fan would do that.

Lol, because we don't agree with you that the offensive line was solely responsible for any and all of JG's issues in 2018, we're the same person? Yeah, when people like K-town and Pulaski post ridiculous statements about JG being a top-3 QB in the SEC last year, or indiscriminately trash the oline in response to anyone questioning JG's performance, I'm going to post the facts and data that show that they are in fact wrong.

I was pretty rough on the oline, and Will Friend all last season. The run game literally never improved, mostly due to undersized linemen that couldn't hold blocks, but the passing protection did improve as the season progressed. None of the data supports the oline being responsible for JG eating as many sacks as he did given the fact that his avg TTL was 2.35 seconds, and 16/22 sacks and 2 interceptions all came on plays that he tried to hold onto the ball past 2.5 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79
Lol, because we don't agree with you that the offensive line was solely responsible for any and all of JG's issues in 2018, we're the same person? Yeah, when people like K-town and Pulaski post ridiculous statements about JG being a top-3 QB in the SEC last year, or indiscriminately trash the oline in response to anyone questioning JG's performance, I'm going to post the facts and data that show that they are in fact wrong.

I was pretty rough on the oline, and Will Friend all last season. The run game literally never improved, mostly due to undersized linemen that couldn't hold blocks, but the passing protection did improve as the season progressed. None of the data supports the oline being responsible for JG eating as many sacks as he did given the fact that his avg TTL was 2.38 seconds, and 16/22 sacks and 2 interceptions all came on plays that he tried to hold onto the ball past 2.5 seconds.

I have never said the OL was the sole reason JGs stats werent better. But, it is was the main reason and its not even debatable. JG definitely has his flaws and is far from perfect. Of course the WRs didnt help him much either. Factor in also, that Helton was his third OC and you get what you get. He was holding onto the ball waiting for someone to actually get open. Of course when you have WRs that cannot get separation consistently then it make the QBs job that much harder. Funny how I saw quite a few games where Tua have 3+ seconds to scan the field. Wonder why? Couldnt have been because his OL could hold blocks. Of course there were also many times the ball was out of his hands quick. And more often than not, his WRs were blowing past guys.

You and some other just dont want to admit your hate for JG. Thats cool. Although it seems like you would cheer for a TN QB and not seem to revel in bringing up JGs flaws on a consistent basis. But to each his own.

None of these meaningless stats putting JG so high account for the fact that passing for 150 yards per game isn’t scaring or beating many people... and all his unnecessary sacks WHEN he had ample time to make a read or get rid of it. Those accounted for probably half the sacks we gave up and they’re drive killers.

Oline was bad, but when you have 4-5 seconds there is no excuse for taking a sack.

JG is a good practice QB. His best game this year will most likely be the spring game, and that wasn't even really good. He will be the punching bag that CJP needs him to be until they can develop another QB.

Reactions: jarhead
I have never said the OL was the sole reason JGs stats werent better. But, it is was the main reason and its not even debatable. JG definitely has his flaws and is far from perfect. Of course the WRs didnt help him much either. Factor in also, that Helton was his third OC and you get what you get. He was holding onto the ball waiting for someone to actually get open. Of course when you have WRs that cannot get separation consistently then it make the QBs job that much harder. Funny how I saw quite a few games where Tua have 3+ seconds to scan the field. Wonder why? Couldnt have been because his OL could hold blocks. Of course there were also many times the ball was out of his hands quick. And more often than not, his WRs were blowing past guys.

You and some other just dont want to admit your hate for JG. Thats cool. Although it seems like you would cheer for a TN QB and not seem to revel in bringing up JGs flaws on a consistent basis. But to each his own.
i think the 14,000 threads on the subject say otherwise.....
giphy.gif

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and Behr
i think the 14,000 threads on the subject say otherwise.....
giphy.gif

Its only debatable by those who are blind and deaf. Virtually every sports outlet, analyst and sports writer that talks about TN, has said how bad our OL was. If it were just us fans saying it, that would be one thing. But to have multiple different sources saying it? Come on.

Reactions: k-town_king
None of these meaningless stats putting JG so high account for the fact that passing for 150 yards per game isn’t scaring or beating many people... and all his unnecessary sacks WHEN he had ample time to make a read or get rid of it. Those accounted for probably half the sacks we gave up and they’re drive killers.

Oline was bad, but when you have 4-5 seconds there is no excuse for taking a sack.

So how many times did he have 4-5 seconds to throw?

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Its only debatable by those who are blind and deaf. Virtually every sports outlet, analyst and sports writer that talks about TN, has said how bad our OL was. If it were just us fans saying it, that would be one thing. But to have multiple different sources saying it? Come on.
obviously, you missed the point. lol.

And there it is, the fall back argument for any criticism, or disbelief that JG was a top SEC QB in 2018; to you and your ilk, it's either agree with your belief that passing efficiency and TD/INT ratios trump actual TDs and wins, or you hate JG.

For arguments sake though, here's the top 6 TTR for the SEC last season.

TTRSEC.png

JG had the avg quickest release, Tua was a whopping .15 seconds longer on average, so this idea Alabama's oline was holding for 5 seconds on every play, and that's why Tua is better than JG is bunk. Just for reference:

Conversely, Guarantano really struggled when he held the ball for longer than 2.5 seconds. Now, so did the rest of the quarterbacks mentioned. For instance, Tagovailoa’s completion percentage dropped 20 points (77.9 vs. 57.0) on such throws. But he still had 20 touchdowns and mostly avoided sacks. Among SEC quarterbacks, only Tua and Fromm had passer ratings over 100.0 on such passes.

I know I know, if it wasn't the oline's fault, then it was obviously the wide receivers not creating separation, and have nothing to do with JG often underthrowing and/or throwing behind the receivers forcing them to slow down and/or literally turn completely towards the ball. As QB, JG of course has zero responsibility for offensive production unless the offensive line and the wide receivers play perfect games, and then, and only then can JG's performance be analyzed for any sort of critical purpose.

Last edited:
lol.

it's like the energizer bunny. just keeps going...and going...and going.
The Ol and JG are both going to take some steps forward this year and Chaney's offense will definitely put up better numbers.

Can't wait for the fight where each side points to the opposite as being the only change and why the numbers improved.👍

The Ol and JG are both going to take some steps forward this year and Chaney's offense will definitely put up better numbers.

Can't wait for the fight where each side points to the opposite as being the only change and why the numbers improved.👍
lol. i can!

Reactions: chargervol

VN Store

Back