Vols Practice Thread #4

"J.J. Peterson looked better today. He wasn’t scolded by Kevin Sherrer any today, and he looked more energized and smoother in his movements. "

I hope he builds some momentum and gets a lot of positive skills in the next few weeks.

"Tyler Byrd in particular made a nice catch in addition to Gray’s catch. "

I hope he builds some momentum and has a nice year. I have missed his contributions.

"There’s very little teammate-to-teammate interaction, whether it be praise or accountability. The one instance that did occur Tuesday was when Jarrett Guarantano snapped at Josh Palmer for a poor route. Tennessee’s quarterback voiced his displeasure with Palmer’s effort and then clapped his hands vigorously and encouraged the junior wideout to pick it up."

Yep. Step it up! Be the leader.

"Meanwhile, Bumphus and Solomon both received multiple thumbs up from Tracy Rocker during a couple different drills. "

I have know Latrelle since he was a freshman in high school (savannah, TN). Great kid, good motor. I feel he can be a contributor at DE.

"Another DL note: Once again, Elijah Simmons flashed his nimble footwork, leverage and power during two drills today. He moves like he’s 285 not 340. It’s also readily apparent just how agile and explosive he is when you watch his reps compared to a guy like Savion Williams. "
tenor.gif

Last edited:
The longer Smith plays with the first team the more I'm convinced he actually has a chance to play.

You seriously believe all this effort by Trey and Pruitt including first team reps and work when everyone knows we need OL cohesiveness is just a gamble, a roll of the dice, he might have a sliver of a chance of playing? We have a MASSIVE group of "right fighters" on VN pulling against this young man saying they want him to play, but secretly have voodoo dolls with pins in it hoping he'll never play another down. Why is that? Because their complete ignorance about Trey, his condition, their medical knowledge or lack thereof, will be completely exposed IMO. Your can see the nervousness in their writings now. It's better than even money IMO Trey runs through the T as he did last year and plays. And man oh man, I'm not sure God Almighty, has created enough crow for these shade tree medicos to eat if he does. If he doesn't I'm satisfied whatever the outcome is for Trey as I'm one of the very few claiming ignorance about his specific condition, medical evaluations from direct examinations, nor do I know about or have information about any prescriptions he has taken and their effects, just like a bunch of other VN clowns who pontificate as if they do.

Reactions: VolRatt
You seriously believe all this effort by Trey and Pruitt including first team reps and work when everyone knows we need OL cohesiveness is just a gamble, a roll of the dice, he might have a sliver of a chance of playing? We have a MASSIVE group of "right fighters" on VN pulling against this young man saying they want him to play, but secretly have voodoo dolls with pins in it hoping he'll never play another down. Why is that? Because their complete ignorance about Trey, his condition, their medical knowledge or lack thereof, will be completely exposed IMO. Your can see the nervousness in their writings now. It's better than even money IMO Trey runs through the T as he did last year and plays. And man oh man, I'm not sure God Almighty, has created enough crow for these shade tree medicos to eat if he does. If he doesn't I'm satisfied whatever the outcome is for Trey as I'm one of the very few claiming ignorance about his specific condition, medical evaluations from direct examinations, nor do I know about or have information about any prescriptions he has taken and their effects, just like a bunch of other VN clowns who pontificate as if they do.
Why hold it all in? Just say whatever’s on your mind. 🤨

I’ll admit I didn’t think Trey should play considering the risk but one has to believe he’ll play a considerable amount of downs this fall. Gotta believe at the end of the year the Oline it’ll look something like this:

Morris/Smith/Kennedy/Johnson/Wright

Or at least the 4 not sure who settles at RG

My bigger fear is not that he won't play but that he will hold back or not be as good. Tuttle was better as a Fr before his leg injury than at any time after. Sometimes the mental or physical limits after something happens just continues to bother a guy.

That said, it looks like they plan on him playing. He's taking some contact now. He's running with the 1's.

If he plays... I love that they've put him back at OG. It just seems a much more natural position for him.

I wish folks wouldn't make so much out of the open portions of practice. It has been the same for years now. People get all jacked up about someone having a "good" or "bad" day. For one, the important sessions aren't observed. Also, knocking the rust off really isn't a basis for evaluation.

JJ's career isn't going to be determined by doing a practice drill badly in the first week of August. A player isn't certain to be a star because he beats dummies.

I wish folks wouldn't make so much out of the open portions of practice. It has been the same for years now. People get all jacked up about someone having a "good" or "bad" day. For one, the important sessions aren't observed. Also, knocking the rust off really isn't a basis for evaluation.

JJ's career isn't going to be determined by doing a practice drill badly in the first week of August. A player isn't certain to be a star because he beats dummies.

There’s a lot to be said about bad practices. Look at the last few years. They aren’t good. If you practice bad you’ll play bad

Reactions: 08Vol and Booker512
The comment on player interaction is worrisome. Team chemistry might still be lacking. I mean even in my sons 12U competitive team they are talking to each other.
Not "worrisome" at this point. The level of competition is at full tilt boogie right now. Every single player out there is battling for a 1 or 2 deep position.

VN Store

Back