The Grill and BBQ thread

I appreciate the help. Is there an internal temp you try to cook to with ribs? I assume ribs are probably more of a cook-to-time than cook-to-temp since you are dealing with a lot of bones unlike pork butts.
Grab them by tongs in the middle. They should bend in an arch but not break. Also, the bones will be exposed by half an inch or so. But if you wrap them for any period of time they will be done. Good luck.

I’m thinking about smoking some ribs on my pellet grill this weekend. I’ve never done ribs before so what does everyone do regarding times/steps and whatnot for ribs?

@kiddiedoc I just saw you did some ribs recently. Any pointers?

I usually cook ribs to about 200 degrees internally. Same concept as pork butt, you want the collagen to break down.

I always use mustard as my binder. Always get a good bark., I’ll spray it with apple juice every 15 mns or so for the last hour /hour & a half before its done smoking
Used apple cider vinegar for the first time. Worried previously it would cloud the taste but that was unfounded. One thing different I did after resting was baking the brisket in the oven with beef stock before chopping and serving.

Used apple cider vinegar for the first time. Worried previously it would cloud the taste but that was unfounded. One thing different I did after resting was baking the brisket in the oven with beef stock before chopping and serving.
We’ve gotten to where we like to finish brisket and pork ribs in the oven.

Reactions: butchna
I’m thinking about smoking some ribs on my pellet grill this weekend. I’ve never done ribs before so what does everyone do regarding times/steps and whatnot for ribs?

@kiddiedoc I just saw you did some ribs recently. Any pointers?
2-2-1, make sure they have space between the racks. Keep the temp 225ish. Low and slow. I will always use honey and mustard in my binder. Good rub of choice. Watch them the last hour, they might bark up as early as 30-45 minutes. Cover and let rest at least 15 minutes.

I appreciate the help. Is there an internal temp you try to cook to with ribs? I assume ribs are probably more of a cook-to-time than cook-to-temp since you are dealing with a lot of bones unlike pork butts.
I've never stuck a probe into ribs. Use the method I referenced and watch them every 15 minutes during the final hour. When they look like sex candy, you're ready to remove and let them rest.

Simpson's. They cut it while I was there. You should see the 2.5# bone-in ribeye in the on deck circle...

Nice! Can't wait to see a pic of that thing. Have you tried a short rib plate from them? I've cooked several and they are outstanding.

If you're a burger fan, grab a pack of their ground beef and mix it with their bacon burger grind. That mix also makes a great meatloaf on the smoker.

Seriously? Well dang, I’ll have to pitch a fit!

Are you happy with it?
They are pretty darn good in my experience. I tried to get Food City to cut one with no luck.

But Ingles in Colonial Heights usually has them. I hear tell someone badgered them into carrying them several years ago.

Reactions: VolNExile
Where do you buy tri-tip? It’s still pretty tricky to find around here, at least good tri-tip. Mostly Earth Fare and Fresh Market.

Only place I can find them locally is Publix. Kroger, Aldi and Food Lion never put them out. Only been to Food City once since they opened and didn't look for them there. Tri-Tips are great.

Reactions: VolNExile
Stopped at the DG the other day to get some coal for the T-Bones. Food Lion had some nice thick ones on sale at a really good price. The charcoal, after some serious bag label searching, is made by Royal Oak. It's called South American. This was some really good charcoal and put a great flavor add to the steaks, and burns rather hot and lasted as well as you'd expect. My son smoked a St. Louis rib rack off one feed of coal for 3 hours on a Weber Kettle. Haven't seen it at the other DG on the opposite end of road, so I'll know which one to go to. This was the first time I've seen "South American" from any brand. Definitely worth a try if you run accross it.

I just nailed pulled chuck roast sandwiches after trying it a few times. Has anybody had that? It's so good and chuck roast is often cheap at my grocer.

Wanna make the pulled chuck roast even better? Do these two following things:

1) Mix 1 part horseradish sauce with 2 parts Mayo
2) Take a whole onion and cut it into long pieces (half-circle or whole circle/rings whichever you like). Caramel one the onions, but finish with a healthy addition of balsamic vinegar.

Now for the best part:

Pulled Chuck Roast Sammy: place pulled chuck roast on bottom side of bun, layer the roast with some of the onions you just made, then lather on a good helping of the horsey mayo sauce. One of the best bbq sandwiches I’ve ever made/had.

VN Store

Back