The Grill and BBQ thread

clarksvol00

We went in on a cow, and I had them include everything they could. I'm giving the tongue to a Hispanic friend, as they love using it for tacos. Looks like cheek meat can cook like brisket for tacos. Thoughts on using liver and (gasp) heart?
Buying a whole animal and throwing it in the deep freeze is always a good idea. The Old Man and I split a cow last spring. Tongue is still in the freezer and I don't think they gave us the liver.

Got a hog this year and we're working our way through bacon, green hams, shoulders, chops, etc.

Edit: And lots of sausage. It's really not healthy.

zhangliao04

Wife asked me the other day if I had thought about buying a freezer. She has her own ideas for it’s use, but I’ve been wanting one so that I can pack it full of smoking/grilling meats. We bought a 1/4th cow this past spring and have been eating off it while keeping it at my in-laws house (they have a couple freezers). For those of you who have one, how big of a freezer would you suggest we buy if we wanted to fit a whole cow or half-cow in there with some room for other stuff?

I’ve seen estimates from 10 sqft all the way up to 30 with the majority being 15-20 sqft of freezer space. I wanted to get your all’s takes on what you use/have.

I’m also pretty set on an upright freezer since you don’t have to go freezer diving.

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Wife asked me the other day if I had thought about buying a freezer. She has her own ideas for it’s use, but I’ve been wanting one so that I can pack it full of smoking/grilling meats. We bought a 1/4th cow this past spring and have been eating off it while keeping it at my in-laws house (they have a couple freezers). For those of you who have one, how big of a freezer would you suggest we buy if we wanted to fit a whole cow or half-cow in there with some room for other stuff?

I’ve seen estimates from 10 sqft all the way up to 30 with the majority being 15-20 sqft of freezer space. I wanted to get your all’s takes on what you use/have.

I’m also pretty set on an upright freezer since you don’t have to go freezer diving.
With our 1/2, we have all the cuts in a 7 CF small upright freezer and the ground beef in our garage freezer. I would guess it would take around 12-14 CF total. No way are you getting a full cow into 15-20 ft. I would say a 20 would comfortably hold a half without being stuffed.

zhangliao04

With our 1/2, we have all the cuts in a 7 CF small upright freezer and the ground beef in our garage freezer. I would guess it would take around 12-14 CF total. No way are you getting a full cow into 15-20 ft. I would say a 20 would comfortably hold a half without being stuffed.
Yeah I’m looking at getting the ~20 cu.ft. size of freezer. Definitely not smaller than 15, but that extra $100 add on to the price to get the extra 5 cubic feet of space is quite tempting. It’s crazy how much difference you see out there regarding this topic. Even Oklahoma States website said to expect 35-40 lbs of beef per cubic foot which means you can fit a whole cow into 10-12 cubic feet.

VN Store