The Grill and BBQ thread

We went in on a cow, and I had them include everything they could. I'm giving the tongue to a Hispanic friend, as they love using it for tacos. Looks like cheek meat can cook like brisket for tacos. Thoughts on using liver and (gasp) heart?
Buying a whole animal and throwing it in the deep freeze is always a good idea. The Old Man and I split a cow last spring. Tongue is still in the freezer and I don't think they gave us the liver.

Got a hog this year and we're working our way through bacon, green hams, shoulders, chops, etc.

Edit: And lots of sausage. It's really not healthy.

Wife asked me the other day if I had thought about buying a freezer. She has her own ideas for it’s use, but I’ve been wanting one so that I can pack it full of smoking/grilling meats. We bought a 1/4th cow this past spring and have been eating off it while keeping it at my in-laws house (they have a couple freezers). For those of you who have one, how big of a freezer would you suggest we buy if we wanted to fit a whole cow or half-cow in there with some room for other stuff?

I’ve seen estimates from 10 sqft all the way up to 30 with the majority being 15-20 sqft of freezer space. I wanted to get your all’s takes on what you use/have.

I’m also pretty set on an upright freezer since you don’t have to go freezer diving.

Wife asked me the other day if I had thought about buying a freezer. She has her own ideas for it’s use, but I’ve been wanting one so that I can pack it full of smoking/grilling meats. We bought a 1/4th cow this past spring and have been eating off it while keeping it at my in-laws house (they have a couple freezers). For those of you who have one, how big of a freezer would you suggest we buy if we wanted to fit a whole cow or half-cow in there with some room for other stuff?

I’ve seen estimates from 10 sqft all the way up to 30 with the majority being 15-20 sqft of freezer space. I wanted to get your all’s takes on what you use/have.

I’m also pretty set on an upright freezer since you don’t have to go freezer diving.
With our 1/2, we have all the cuts in a 7 CF small upright freezer and the ground beef in our garage freezer. I would guess it would take around 12-14 CF total. No way are you getting a full cow into 15-20 ft. I would say a 20 would comfortably hold a half without being stuffed.

With our 1/2, we have all the cuts in a 7 CF small upright freezer and the ground beef in our garage freezer. I would guess it would take around 12-14 CF total. No way are you getting a full cow into 15-20 ft. I would say a 20 would comfortably hold a half without being stuffed.

Yeah I’m looking at getting the ~20 cu.ft. size of freezer. Definitely not smaller than 15, but that extra $100 add on to the price to get the extra 5 cubic feet of space is quite tempting. It’s crazy how much difference you see out there regarding this topic. Even Oklahoma States website said to expect 35-40 lbs of beef per cubic foot which means you can fit a whole cow into 10-12 cubic feet.

So the Buc-ee's pork tenderloin was very good. In my slice I didn't get the shrimp but the pepper jack & andouille made an appearance. Still give it a thumbs up.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
CB527111-47B2-48AA-914A-FEB0D2CC6488.jpeg

Smoked 2 chuck roasts yesterday for the holiday. First time in a little while that I smoked anything. Used a combo of mesquite and apple wood pellets. I used nothing but salt and pepper on the first chuck roast (the one in the picture). The second one I used an apple rub. I originally planned to take them off at 210 F internal temp, but got sidetracked while planting and took the first roast off at 215 F. The second was taken off at 210 F. Even with that happening they still tasted amazing and were fall apart in your hand. Neither were too dry at all.

Two racks beef ribs. Two racks baby backs, 2 lb slab beef bologna, 6 ears corn off the smokers. Oven baked beans and watermelon.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I have a large Big Green Egg for Sale, $325. I have a new gasket for the Large.
A mini BGE for $125.
I live in Hermitage(Nashville).
Covers for both.

Had the best butt result yet yesterday. Went on at midnight, wrapped with butcher paper when 165 at 9 a.m., hit 204 at 1:30. Foil, towel, cooler until 7 p.m. dinner. BY FAR the most moist and tender.

I think I have underestimated the importance of getting over 200 and resting for a good while.

Had the best butt result yet yesterday. Went on at midnight, wrapped with butcher paper when 165 at 9 a.m., hit 204 at 1:30. Foil, towel, cooler until 7 p.m. dinner. BY FAR the most moist and tender.

I think I have underestimated the importance of getting over 200 and resting for a good while.

I started a brisket last night at 10pm at 180, pulled it off at 160 internal at 9am, double foil wrapped (I need to get some butcher paper) back on at 275, then off at noon at 203 internal, threw it in the cooler and sliced at 5:30pm. I did add a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar and 1/2 a beer to the water pan and sprayed with a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar every couple of hours.

Sliced like butter.

Ok. New venture. I purchased a pork shoulder/butt at Costco for the express purpose of making mango habanero carnitas tacos. Looks amazing on grillnation. Issue is the recipe calls for 4-6 lbs and I bought 13 lbs. Instinct says cut it in half and freeze one for a later effort but the wife has a list of people with their forks ready. So I’m doing the whole monstrosity. Should I just double up the ingredients and hope for the best? Going maverick can be fun…hate to waste anything tho. I believe in following recipes but yolo.

Ok. New venture. I purchased a pork shoulder/butt at Costco for the express purpose of making mango habanero carnitas tacos. Looks amazing on grillnation. Issue is the recipe calls for 4-6 lbs and I bought 13 lbs. Instinct says cut it in half and freeze one for a later effort but the wife has a list of people with their forks ready. So I’m doing the whole monstrosity. Should I just double up the ingredients and hope for the best? Going maverick can be fun…hate to waste anything tho. I believe in following recipes but yolo.
This one?
Pulled Pork Tacos With Mango Habanero Salsa - Grill Nation - Recipes, Grills and Grilling Products

The cooking method is a pretty standard smoke. It'll take longer to cook. But I don't see any reason you couldn't just double the recipe.

Reactions: butchna
I really think injecting butts helps. The last time I did a big one like that, it went on around midnight at 225. The next morning, it was ready to be wrapped (around 165). You've still got several hours to go with a larger cut, so be patient. Better to finish early and let it rest in the cooler wrapped in towels than be rushing to feed people at 8:30 p.m. without time to rest it.

Reactions: butchna

Just do the whole dang thing and enjoy a weeks worth of carnitas! Also, when you go to unwrap the butt after letting it sit you should 1000% partake in the “money meat” which is a thin piece of meat that sits in between two layers of fat. So tender and full of flavor! I’ll let you decide if you want to spread the love around to others.

Also, follow what kiddiedoc said. 250 F is a good temp to cook at as well, but 225 is great.

VN Store

Back