The Grill and BBQ thread

Oh, wow!! Everything looks wonderful! I don't have a grill, but I pan sear in cast iron. So, I have been hesitant to enter this thread. You are all masters. For now, this will have to suffice...

1650977631964.png

Reactions: VolNExile
Mustard for sure for a good bark! I personally believe that it also helps keep the moisture in the meat better. The last Boston Butt I did I didn't use mustard, and it ended up dryer than usual.
I've never used mustard. I've had good results with a little vegetable or canola oil before I add my dry rub.

Mustard for sure for a good bark! I personally believe that it also helps keep the moisture in the meat better. The last Boston Butt I did I didn't use mustard, and it ended up dryer than usual.
I used it on a 17 lb brisket for my daughter’s college graduation party last weekend (sorry no pics) and came out looking a pitmaster to all her knucklehead friends. Best brisket in my brief experience! Thanks!

Sending out a bat signal on the honey+mustard thing! I hope I caught all the posters who’ve commented on this.

Hubs is intrigued and wants to try this on a 6# butt today, but everything he pulls up online discusses using it as a glaze, and this seems different. GVF was pretty detailed, but I can’t tell if others are doing it the same way, and I have no idea of the amounts of honey and mustard, or at least the ratio.

Edit to add: will be cooked on the ancient and venerable Weber charcoal grill

If anyone sees this and could reply, especially this morning, I’d really appreciate it! 🧡
A little Monday pork butt. Will pull in a little while.

View attachment 439426
I believe all I put on that one was yellow mustard, salt, & Kosmo's Q Honey Killer Bee.
Yeah, we do mustard as well on any thing smoked as the binder. When it time to wrap, my son will lay down a bed of squeeze butter, brown sugar, and honey and lay in the foil and lay the meat back on. adds another layer of bark flavor on top of the spice rub. On ribs, he will unwrap and sauce for hte 3rd layer of flavor.
Dad said these were the best ribs he's ever had. I used a little honey with my mustard for the binder, and the rub I used had some crystallized honey in it. I also tried a new trick to space the racks a bit more. Perfect bark, fall off the bone tender.View attachment 457189
I used it on a 17 lb brisket for my daughter’s college graduation party last weekend (sorry no pics) and came out looking a pitmaster to all her knucklehead friends. Best brisket in my brief experience! Thanks!

Reactions: butchna
Sending out a bat signal on the honey+mustard thing! I hope I caught all the posters who’ve commented on this.

Hubs is intrigued and wants to try this on a 6# butt today, but everything he pulls up online discusses using it as a glaze, and this seems different. GVF was pretty detailed, but I can’t tell if others are doing it the same way, and I have no idea of the amounts of honey and mustard, or at least the ratio.

If anyone sees this and could reply, especially this morning, I’d really appreciate it! 🧡

The purpose of the mustard is to use as a binder for the rub. For a 6-lb butt, you would only need 1-2 tablespoons. Coat the meat with mustard, then add the rub. It will stick better, thus ensuring that the moisture will stay in, and the bark will be better as well. I've actually never used honey, but I'd imagine if you added a teaspoon or so to the mustard, it would work just fine.

The purpose of the mustard is to use as a binder for the rub. For a 6-lb butt, you would only need 1-2 tablespoons. Coat the meat with mustard, then add the rub. It will stick better, thus ensuring that the moisture will stay in, and the bark will be better as well. I've actually never used honey, but I'd imagine if you added a teaspoon or so to the mustard, it would work just fine.
Thanks! This is very helpful.

This guy uses mustard a lot…also really good recipes.
Home - Grill Nation - Recipes, Grills and Grilling Products

Hubs grilled the butt with a rub covered by the honey-mustard mix (Lusty Monk mustard), and it was amaaaaaaaazing. Thanks!

I’m thinking about smoking some ribs on my pellet grill this weekend. I’ve never done ribs before so what does everyone do regarding times/steps and whatnot for ribs?

@kiddiedoc I just saw you did some ribs recently. Any pointers?

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I’m thinking about smoking some ribs on my pellet grill this weekend. I’ve never done ribs before so what does everyone do regarding times/steps and whatnot for ribs?

@kiddiedoc I just saw you did some ribs recently. Any pointers?
I'm doing some on the pellet smoker as well. I cooked them at 250-260 for about 2 hours. Spritz with apple juice or cider vinegar a few times. Then I wrap with squeeze butter, honey, & re-rub for about 1-1.5 hours. Unwrap then finish for another .5 hours. Sauce or glaze if you're going to during this last part.

Reactions: zhangliao04
I'm doing some on the pellet smoker as well. I cooked them at 250-260 for about 2 hours. Spritz with apple juice or cider vinegar a few times. Then I wrap with squeeze butter, honey, & re-rub for about 1-1.5 hours. Unwrap then finish for another .5 hours. Sauce or glaze if you're going to during this last part.

I appreciate the help. Is there an internal temp you try to cook to with ribs? I assume ribs are probably more of a cook-to-time than cook-to-temp since you are dealing with a lot of bones unlike pork butts.

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back