The Grill and BBQ thread

It hasn’t been an issue heating up and holding heat. It’s just the wood chip tray hasn’t sufficed. I think it’s because the wood tray is not close enough to the heating element.
I had the same problem with my MBE. The chip tray just didn't hold enough. I solved the problem with an amazen tray.

I’m in need of a new meat probe. Preferably with a remote control or an iPhone app. Shoot me some recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCHateSteve
Did these ribs today. I rubbed them last night, and got them in the oven this morning. Low and slow all day. Then got them sauced and grilled for the finish. I’d have liked a touch more smoke and a better quality rack of ribs (too fatty), but for the first time I’ve ever done ribs, can’t complain. They were super tender and the flavor was pretty good.

Attachments

• 5F495942-CB98-46D6-B7F1-5305D73C75B0.jpeg
    5F495942-CB98-46D6-B7F1-5305D73C75B0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Do you add the baking powder with the rub or powder then rub?
Powder first, then rub. Be careful not to put too many in the bag to shake at one time. I did batches of 10 and they came out nice. Then I let them sit uncovered in the fridge for an hour or so after the powder shake to completely dry the skin. Then shake in your rub of choice and smoke.

Smoke pork tenderloins that were amazing and a java brisket that was amazingly tender and great bark, but needed a little more seasoning. Smoked on a Traeger Century 885.

Attachments

• D49166FB-5570-4E81-BBF6-27C7604F5ABC.jpeg
    D49166FB-5570-4E81-BBF6-27C7604F5ABC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • F20A9E0B-D1ED-4C0E-8C40-F1AD7C9AA944.jpeg
    F20A9E0B-D1ED-4C0E-8C40-F1AD7C9AA944.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 6E4DAFA3-7066-4C15-BAB5-F3B7036D5821.jpeg
    6E4DAFA3-7066-4C15-BAB5-F3B7036D5821.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 7C075595-FBD7-4E7B-8DC9-9246701B49B1.jpeg
    7C075595-FBD7-4E7B-8DC9-9246701B49B1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Powder first, then rub. Be careful not to put too many in the bag to shake at one time. I did batches of 10 and they came out nice. Then I let them sit uncovered in the fridge for an hour or so after the powder shake to completely dry the skin. Then shake in your rub of choice and smoke.

How much BP did you use per batch of 10 wings?

update on the smoker. Got a pitboss pro series copperhead from lowes. A buddy hooked me up on a good deal. Tested it out tonight and I don't think my probe is correct. i smoked brats and it was reading 225* and they were barely done. checked it in a cup of ice water and was reading 49* Is there a more accurate probe that will plug in to the pitboss control board?

update on the smoker. Got a pitboss pro series copperhead from lowes. A buddy hooked me up on a good deal. Tested it out tonight and I don't think my probe is correct. i smoked brats and it was reading 225* and they were barely done. checked it in a cup of ice water and was reading 49* Is there a more accurate probe that will plug in to the pitboss control board?

I'd get in touch with Pit boss and tell them to send you a new one.

However, if you choose to go with a third-party brand then I would definitely look at Thermoworks thermometers. They are pricey, but they are really good.

I typically check my green egg thermometer by pUtting it I to a small pot of boiling water. It sometimes needs adjusting. It measures the inside of the cooker temperature.
Never had a problem with a thermometer that is inserted into the meat.

I am looking to smoke a meatloaf. Any recipes or advice would be appreciated. Will be using my ugly drum.

VN Store

Back