The Grill and BBQ thread

zhangliao04

If you have it, try Arrowroot powder sometime. I like it better than corn starch or BP for wings.
I will look into this. I know of it, but I've never used it.

For my wings I ended up trying a 50/50 blend of corn starch with cajun seasoning. It worked well, but wasn't as crunchy as I would have liked it. Some parts you could see the juice from the wings didn't hit the powder so it stayed white. No matter as it still tasted good, but what got me was that it wasn't crispy everywhere and on every wing. I ended up having to bake the wings in the oven (we found out that the fridge's compressor quit working and therefore we had to transfer a ton of stuff out of the fridge/freezer). I baked them for 40 min. @ 400 °F. Next time I want to try them on the grill @ 500 °F for about 30-35 min. with non-direct heat.

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
I will look into this. I know of it, but I've never used it.

For my wings I ended up trying a 50/50 blend of corn starch with cajun seasoning. It worked well, but wasn't as crunchy as I would have liked it. Some parts you could see the juice from the wings didn't hit the powder so it stayed white. No matter as it still tasted good, but what got me was that it wasn't crispy everywhere and on every wing. I ended up having to bake the wings in the oven (we found out that the fridge's compressor quit working and therefore we had to transfer a ton of stuff out of the fridge/freezer). I baked them for 40 min. @ 400 °F. Next time I want to try them on the grill @ 500 °F for about 30-35 min. with non-direct heat.
I've had good luck crisping them using the raised direct 375ish route. You do have to rearrange and flip them, though

zhangliao04

I've had good luck crisping them using the raised direct 375ish route. You do have to rearrange and flip them, though
I did flip them halfway through, however I did not have them on a raised rack. So that's probably why some parts of the chicken crust weren't crispy because it was sitting in its own juices which means I need to get a couple of those racks.

I'm thinking of trying to do a London Broil on the grill before too long. Any tips for that? I don't have a smoker, and I'm strictly charcoal.
Salt pepper and a good steak rub
Let it hang out so it can work on the meat
Bring the grill up to 350-400 with a 2 zone fire
sear the outside to lock in the flavor
Move your meat away from the fire so the heat goes across the meat.
Bring her up to 135 (med rare) or whatever your preference.
Hold for 15 so the meat pulls back the moisture.
Slice and enjoy!

VN Store

Sponsors