The Grill and BBQ thread

If you have it, try Arrowroot powder sometime. I like it better than corn starch or BP for wings.

I will look into this. I know of it, but I've never used it.

For my wings I ended up trying a 50/50 blend of corn starch with cajun seasoning. It worked well, but wasn't as crunchy as I would have liked it. Some parts you could see the juice from the wings didn't hit the powder so it stayed white. No matter as it still tasted good, but what got me was that it wasn't crispy everywhere and on every wing. I ended up having to bake the wings in the oven (we found out that the fridge's compressor quit working and therefore we had to transfer a ton of stuff out of the fridge/freezer). I baked them for 40 min. @ 400 °F. Next time I want to try them on the grill @ 500 °F for about 30-35 min. with non-direct heat.

I will look into this. I know of it, but I've never used it.

For my wings I ended up trying a 50/50 blend of corn starch with cajun seasoning. It worked well, but wasn't as crunchy as I would have liked it. Some parts you could see the juice from the wings didn't hit the powder so it stayed white. No matter as it still tasted good, but what got me was that it wasn't crispy everywhere and on every wing. I ended up having to bake the wings in the oven (we found out that the fridge's compressor quit working and therefore we had to transfer a ton of stuff out of the fridge/freezer). I baked them for 40 min. @ 400 °F. Next time I want to try them on the grill @ 500 °F for about 30-35 min. with non-direct heat.
I've had good luck crisping them using the raised direct 375ish route. You do have to rearrange and flip them, though

I've had good luck crisping them using the raised direct 375ish route. You do have to rearrange and flip them, though

I did flip them halfway through, however I did not have them on a raised rack. So that's probably why some parts of the chicken crust weren't crispy because it was sitting in its own juices which means I need to get a couple of those racks.

I'm thinking of trying to do a London Broil on the grill before too long. Any tips for that? I don't have a smoker, and I'm strictly charcoal.

I'm thinking of trying to do a London Broil on the grill before too long. Any tips for that? I don't have a smoker, and I'm strictly charcoal.

Salt pepper and a good steak rub
Let it hang out so it can work on the meat
Bring the grill up to 350-400 with a 2 zone fire
sear the outside to lock in the flavor
Move your meat away from the fire so the heat goes across the meat.
Bring her up to 135 (med rare) or whatever your preference.
Hold for 15 so the meat pulls back the moisture.
Slice and enjoy!

Cornstarch can get a little "gummy" if not careful. Does arrowroot powder solve that? Where do you get it? Amazon?
I've not had a problem with Arrowroot gumming, just don't overdo it. You can find it in some grocery stores, maybe with the specialty baking stuff (like Bob's Red Mill).

Reactions: Boca Vol
Got to smoke my first set of beef back ribs today. I'd grown up eating them in California grilled hot/fast, and they were always good but tough. I decided I wanted to try low and slow today. Did 2 hours at 225, wrapped in paper, and then did another 1:30 at 275. Other than one rack that was too close to the fire box they turned out great. Tender and juicy.

Attachments

• 20200810_194818.jpg
    20200810_194818.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200810_194138.jpg
    20200810_194138.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Looks like it turned out tender and not dried out. Chuck can be tough. Both the meat a n difficcult to cook outdoors.

I cheated and 1/3 through the cook I smoked it in a pan with beef stock and onions. Reheating is amazing because you can nuke a little meat in the au jus and it tastes like you just pulled it off the grill

For those of you that have a MB electric smoker:

If your digital control panel malfunctions, here’s something to do before you reorder a new one.

Disconnect the wires and spray duster into each wire socket on the control panel and into the ones on the smoker. Then, Reattach the control panel. I did this and now it’s working again, good as new. The bad news is I already ordered the replacement control panel, so now I’ll have an extra one as a spare incase the old one ever breaks down for good.

For those of you that have a MB electric smoker:

If your digital control panel malfunctions, here’s something to do before you reorder a new one.

Disconnect the wires and spray duster into each wire socket on the control panel and into the ones on the smoker. Then, Reattach the control panel. I did this and now it’s working again, good as new. The bad news is I already ordered the replacement control panel, so now I’ll have an extra one as a spare incase the old one ever breaks down for good.
Mine keeps shocking the piss out of me if I touch it without shoes on. Very odd. Looking to get a kamado joe soon.

Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back