The Grill and BBQ thread

is there a consensus #1 pick for dry rub on ribs? Have been using sweet rub of mine and its really really good but want to try something else

is there a consensus #1 pick for dry rub on ribs? Have been using sweet rub of mine and its really really good but want to try something else
I've been switching mine up lately to try different flavor profiles. Meat Church has a nice selection. THey're all good. The only one I haven't really cared for so far is Deez Nuts.

I'm thinking of trying to do a London Broil on the grill before too long. Any tips for that? I don't have a smoker, and I'm strictly charcoal.

I do London Broil on the charcoal grill all the time. My go to is this:

Marinate in a gallon ziploc bag for about 4 hours with the following ingredients (use as much or as little as you like. No set amounts):

salt
pepper
olive oil
minced garlic
rosemary

I usually put it on at 350 - 400 at about 5-7 minutes per side.

Let sit for about 5 minutes then slice as thin as possible against the grain.

You do it right and it is like Prime Rib and just melts in your mouth.

London Broil is such an underrated cut of meat. Best bang for the buck. You can do so much with the leftovers too, from fajitas, to nachos, to cheesesteak.

Reactions: NEVolFan

I tried a rub that I found at Lowe's of all places in their grill & bbq section. It's called Bad Byron's Butt Rub and has a pink pig on it with a chef's hat. Really good. You can find it at Wal-mart too it turns out:

Bad Byron's Butt Rub at Wal-Mart

Question: So, my wife bought two pork shoulders at Costco today (she didn't realize there were two in the pack), so it looks like I'll be cooking for us and my parents tomorrow. They are boneless, and I've never done them that way. Is it suggested to tie them up and hold all the little loose parts together, or will they cook fine as is?

Question: So, my wife bought two pork shoulders at Costco today (she didn't realize there were two in the pack), so it looks like I'll be cooking for us and my parents tomorrow. They are boneless, and I've never done them that way. Is it suggested to tie them up and hold all the little loose parts together, or will they cook fine as is?

I've never had a problem cooking boneless without having to tie, but mine have not been from Costco. I'd like to know what it looks like out of the packing.

I tied them up some, since a beautiful outside isn't important once pulled. Splurged for a roll of butcher paper at Ace, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I can tell a difference vs foil. Out of the stall but temp creeping up. We're getting hungry!

Reactions: volmanbill
Found me a supplier that could get me a fresh ham straight off the pig like what I used to buy in Peru. Brined it for 7 days, rubbed it with my pork rub, smoked it over pecan, and finished it with an apricot glaze. All just because one of my reverse culture shock things is hating all food processed, frozen, canned, or pre prepared in some way. Turned out great!IMG_20200829_180607.jpg IMG_20200829_180603.jpg

You got a recipe? I've been wanting to try white sauce but everybody I ask says it sucks
I did a mish-mash of recipes. I used mayo 4 parts, apple cider vinegar 1 part, a little brown mustard, worcester, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, S+P, Korean chili paste, and hot honey. I rarely use measurements.

We also served it with Tennessee Whiskey bbq sauce from Full Service.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Found me a supplier that could get me a fresh ham straight off the pig like what I used to buy in Peru. Brined it for 7 days, rubbed it with my pork rub, smoked it over pecan, and finished it with an apricot glaze. All just because one of my reverse culture shock things is hating all food processed, frozen, canned, or pre prepared in some way. Turned out great!View attachment 303155View attachment 303154

Did you bribe in Peru?
I grew up in the 50s, and my grandfather raised two hogs a year. He shared with his children. We would sometimes get a fresh ham, and the first time I at it I thought it was the best thing I ever ate. I don't recall my mother ever bringing it.
The rest of the ham would be salt and sugar cured(country ham).

Did you bribe in Peru?
I grew up in the 50s, and my grandfather raised two hogs a year. He shared with his children. We would sometimes get a fresh ham, and the first time I at it I thought it was the best thing I ever ate. I don't recall my mother ever bringing it.
The rest of the ham would be salt and sugar cured(country ham).
I've done both dry and wet brining in Peru. Both work well but dry brining a ham is a bit more difficult as the side it's laying on can sometimes start looking weird if you don't have it elevated on a wire rack. Usually I just wet brine a ham nowadays in a food grade 5 gallon bucket in the fridge for at least a week. Don't put much in the brine but water, salt, Prague powder, and the smallest bit of sugar.

In my opinion the brine and added smoke are what make a ham taste well like a ham. Without either you'll still have a ham tasting hunk of meat, but the addition of the two really bring out the color and flavor of the meat.

VN Store

Back