The Grill and BBQ thread

Yo

u used apple wood smoked bacon! You answered your own question.

You'll learn how much wood to use.

On the temp. Give it a little while to get to it's true temp. Are you keeping the area with the charcoal cleaned out. I have to clean my big green egg about every 5 cooks.

FWIW, some people love a bacon wrapped tenderloin. I think bacon on pork is overkill and won't do it. It runs a excellent cut of meat. Jmo.

I haven't cleaned out the Joe yet. It has been 5 cooks so I guess I should clean it out. I have been cleaning the grates, but actually getting the temp up to ~600F and doing a total thermal clean of the whole Joe I have not done.

And thanks for the suggestion. I am willing to try all avenues if it gets me to a dish I enjoy and tastes great.

No. But we have a Barrel Smoker and a Master Built Adventurer Series 40" electric. Bought at Bass Pro. It has performed very well and been a reliable product thus far. Using the electric alot more than the barrel at the moment. Electrics do a far better job than i imagined it would.
Is the 40" big enough for a few racks of rims and some misc stuff? Sorry I'm brand new lol

Anyone have the Char broil Premium smoker? New to the grilling game and want to try a electric smoker

Do you have a grill? Or are you looking for something where you can effectively grill and smoke? I wouldn't recommend an electric smoker for things like burgers, for example. For butts, ribs, briskets, etc they're a good way to get started. You don't have to worry too much about holding temp because they're thermostatically controlled. My first smoker was a Masterbuilt electric and it got me hooked.

If you want something that will grill and smoke, take a look at the new Masterbuilt. Not electric, but uses charcoal with a thermostat. Boca Vol recently got one and I'm giving my son one for a housewarming gift in a couple weeks. It looks like someone has finally given us the flavor of charcoal and convenience of gas.

I love it. I get to use lump charcoal and digitally control the temp! It gets up to temp really fast. It does burn quite a bit of lump because you are putting it in a small chamber, so even after you snuff it out that chamber stays warm...so don't fill it up all the way for every cook (such as burgers or dogs, etc...that cook pretty quickly).

Sat. night I made burgers. I put them on the middle rack at 225 for 10-15 mins. Pulled them, moved the rack out of the way and turned it up to 500. It went from 225 to 500 in about 2-3 mins. Tossed the burgers back on for a quick sear and they were perfect.

The 540 isn't big but plenty big for a family of 4. So far, it's a keeper!

Reactions: Boca Vol
Anyone have the Char broil Premium smoker? New to the grilling game and want to try a electric smoker
I had a Char Broil Big Easy electric for a while. It wasn't the greatest smoker on the planet. I had problems keeping the smoke going at low and slow temps. I've seen folks have good luck with electrics, and others have nothing but trouble. Are you looking for a dedicated smoker, or do you want something that will grill too? I don't know of an electric that will do both.

I have a big charbroiled 6 burner gas grill. I'm about good enough to cook brats on it. dad is a helluva cook but I never got the itch to cook until now. Really want a dedicated electric smoker. Something with a dedicated probe that tells me the meat is ready so I dont kill my wife and kids

Is the 40" big enough for a few racks of rims and some misc stuff? Sorry I'm brand new lol
Yes. It has 4 racks you can configure, two of which have jerky/fish wire racks that fit in and make and extra two shelves. It will hold full slabs of ribs flat, two per rack, or brisket and ribs, etc. Should easily do 8 slabs of ribs. I would not go smaller htan the 40".

I have a big charbroiled 6 burner gas grill. I'm about good enough to cook brats on it. dad is a helluva cook but I never got the itch to cook until now. Really want a dedicated electric smoker. Something with a dedicated probe that tells me the meat is ready so I dont kill my wife and kids

i never trust the built in probes. I buy the $12 Taylor brand at walmart and it does really well.

For comparison to the MB, Pit Boss also has a n electric cabinet style rear load pellet smoker. My brother in law has one and really likes it. It will hold 40 pounds of pellets. Again make sure you get one in the 40" range so ribs and briskets can lay out. Alternatively, Barrel styles are hangers, but are virtually as simple as an electric. They require little attending if you buy the right one. Mine is a 14" Barrel House Cooker. they only make the 18" now. I can cook a fair amount in that thing. It'll smoke 10 hours on one load holding 225-250 in the center like clock work. My son bought himself the MB electric we have. We use both. Oklahoma Joe makes a nice Barrel smoker.

this is the one I'm considering

If you try to smoke a chicken in one of those electrics we posted, plan on finishing it off in oven or grill. The Mb goes up to 275. A bird needs to be smoking at 350 range to crisp off. It won't do that in a cabinet electric. we finish our wings off in the air fryer. Which doesn't bother me cause they come out great that way. and legs and thighs go in the air fryer anyway. No grill can produce a leg any better.

Did you serve any sauce with the bologna.? What sides? Did you eat it like a steak?
I do not think I could resist slicing about 3/8 inch thick and finishing on a hot flame. What a sandwich!

It is pretty tasty! All I did was score it, rub on some yellow mustard and put Meat Church The Gospel rub on it. Rolled it over once during 2.5 hours at 225. Cooled it, sliced it and threw it on some white bread with mayo. Could've gotten away with longer but the kids were hungry. It would have been even better thrown in a hot cast iron skillet for a minute.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Yes. It has 4 racks you can configure, two of which have jerky/fish wire racks that fit in and make and extra two shelves. It will hold full slabs of ribs flat, two per rack, or brisket and ribs, etc. Should easily do 8 slabs of ribs. I would not go smaller htan the 40".
I'm a fan of barrel smokers for a first unit. I have a Pit Barrel Cooker and it works famously. It's totally set and forget too. I just stick a meat thermometer in the protein and pull it off when it hits the desired temp, no adjustments required. But I'm biased as I like the flavor you get from charcoal. For the electrics the Char Broil is probably as good as any of them. The narrow temperature range may mean you will outgrow it if you really get into the hobby. But it'll work great if you just plan on smoking stuff every now and again. There is a higher chance of getting a lemon with electrics in that price range. But that's gonna be true of any of them. Pellet grills are a great option if you want a dedicated smoker with a built in digital controller. But they tend to cost a little more.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
So if you dont trust the probe that comes with them what do you do? I like the idea of the grilling telling me the meat is done lol

No. But we have a Barrel Smoker and a Master Built Adventurer Series 40" electric. Bought at Bass Pro. It has performed very well and been a reliable product thus far. Using the electric alot more than the barrel at the moment. Electrics do a far better job than i imagined it would.

I just got a MB slow smoker attachment for my MB 40” from Lowe’s today. I’ve had issues with it generating smoke lately so I bought the attachment to shore up that issue.

I just got a MB slow smoker attachment for my MB 40” from Lowe’s today. I’ve had issues with it generating smoke lately so I bought the attachment to shore up that issue.

That's a nice option. I've looked at it but haven't bought yet. Mine hasn't had problems generating smoke, and my son is not the greatest at keeping it clean after uses. It's actually his. Is yours holding temp enough? Wonder why it would not generate smoke? I have seen in research on those smokers that the only real issue down the road was the element connections inside the rear cover get too much heat and can burnout and need wiring repair. simple task. Most solved that by taking cover of and packing more insulation around connectors. I haven't done yet.

That's a nice option. I've looked at it but haven't bought yet. Mine hasn't had problems generating smoke, and my son is not the greatest at keeping it clean after uses. It's actually his. Is yours holding temp enough? Wonder why it would not generate smoke? I have seen in research on those smokers that the only real issue down the road was the element connections inside the rear cover get too much heat and can burnout and need wiring repair. simple task. Most solved that by taking cover of and packing more insulation around connectors. I haven't done yet.

It hasn’t been an issue heating up and holding heat. It’s just the wood chip tray hasn’t sufficed. I think it’s because the wood tray is not close enough to the heating element.

It hasn’t been an issue heating up and holding heat. It’s just the wood chip tray hasn’t sufficed. I think it’s because the wood tray is not close enough to the heating element.
Yours may be a little older. redesigned maybe. Our chip tray is quite close to the burner. Bought ours in december.

VN Store

Back