The Grill and BBQ thread

Bacon and pimento cheese topped burgers.

Drunk chickens.

Grilled Pineapple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boca Vol
Third attempt at brisket on a Pit Boss 1320 stack smoker. I forgot to take a pic of the burnt ends but they were the real show stopper. View attachment 290945View attachment 290946View attachment 290947

That looks like proper brisket. Took me a couple attempts as well. Got it right on 3rd. Briskets aren't as hard as made out to be. IF you keep your patience for low and slow and hit 200. I will plan on 225 to hit 200, wrapping at about 160 where mine usually stalls, and taking 10-11 hours for a 10-13 pounder.

That looks like proper brisket. Took me a couple attempts as well. Got it right on 3rd. Briskets aren't as hard as made out to be. IF you keep your patience for low and slow and hit 200. I will plan on 225 to hit 200, wrapping at about 160 where mine usually stalls, and taking 10-11 hours for a 10-13 pounder.
I cooked that one at around 200 until it hit the stall, then wrapped and bumped to 250 to bring it home. Rub was 60% course pepper and 40% salt to make a full cup and then a 1/4 cup of celery seed. Been bumping up the cayenne but haven't gotten it a where I get the flavor yet. Slight variation on Soo's basic recipe.

This was a 16 hour effort including a 2 hour faux cambro,

I cooked that one at around 200 until it hit the stall, then wrapped and bumped to 250 to bring it home. Rub was 60% course pepper and 40% salt to make a full cup and then a 1/4 cup of celery seed. Been bumping up the cayenne but haven't gotten it a where I get the flavor yet. Slight variation on Soo's basic recipe.

This was a 16 hour effort including a 2 hour faux cambro,

The effort looks like it paid off. Great Bark. We do have a brisket rub. But, mostly stick to Franklin's traditional texas salt, pepper, garlic and onion concoction. I did inject my last brisket overnight for first time with allegro brand and was happy with that.

Has anyone tried the Mojo rub off the grocer shelf. Got some and used on drunk chickens as the base rub with Slap Yo Mama on top. Mojo has a great flavor on its own. Lemon/Lime based I think.

We've used some really good homemade concoctions and off the shelf. I'm gonna check my spice shelf and add a list of our go to rubs and sauces. Feel free to start your list. I have previously posted my personal sauce recipe. I'm in need of making another batch. But right now my son is on the Sticky Fingers kick.

Last edited:
The effort looks like it paid off. Great Bark. We do have a brisket rub. But, mostly stick to Franklin's traditional texas salt, pepper, garlic and onion concoction. I did inject my last brisket overnight for first time with allegro brand and was happy with that.
My first attempt which was terrible, had a beef broth injection. Haven't used it since but may revisit it in the future now that I've completely changed the way I do brisket.

The finished product of the 10-lb butt from today. Everybody told me that even though they enjoyed the other one I did a couple weeks ago they really enjoyed this one. Looks like applewood is going to be a staple from here on out.

View attachment 290625

I’ve mainly used a mixture of hickory and jack Daniels whiskey oak for my butts. I’ve used Apple before. Apple is great on pork tenderloins.

I’ve mainly used a mixture of hickory and jack Daniels whiskey oak for my butts. I’ve used Apple before. Apple is great on pork tenderloins.

That's what I'm doing tonight. Two pork tenderloins. Gonna apply a rub, wrap in applewood bacon and then smoke until 145°F. Gonna make a basting sauce to go on towards the end of the cook.

That's what I'm doing tonight. Two pork tenderloins. Gonna apply a rub, wrap in applewood bacon and then smoke until 145°F. Gonna make a basting sauce to go on towards the end of the cook.

You’ll never want pork tenderloin any other way. If you have time, inject it beforehand. It’ll be even juicier.

Reactions: zhangliao04
If I may, I'd like to ask for your all's opinion on what went wrong with my cook. Last night I smoked some pork tenderloins. The steps taken were rubbing the tenderloins and then rolling them up in thick cut applewood bacon while trying to make sure the thickness of the log was consistent. Then, I placed them on the K. Joe and tried keeping the temp around 325 F. I placed two pieces of applewood chunk in the Joe while leaving a couple of pieces from the previous smoke in there (these pieces were pretty charred on at least half the chunk piece). Surprisingly I had a slightly tough time with the temp as the Joe would reach 325 and then go back down to 300...maybe due to the wind? But I figured the wind would just help with the fire. Anyway, I followed a recipe for a basting sauce that was 1/3 strawberry jam, 1/3 Louisiana hot sauce, and 1/3 Worcestershire sauce. The first application of the sauce was at around 120 internal temp. A second application was done at 135 internal temp. At the end, the presentation was fantastic and looked really good. However, the taste to me was too overpowered with a smoke taste (mainly in the bacon). The tenderloins were REALLY juicy and didn't taste bad.

Did I make a bad basting sauce? Or did I have too many chunks in the Joe?

Here is a pic of the tenderloin logs last night:

IMG_20200706_215934.jpg

If I may, I'd like to ask for your all's opinion on what went wrong with my cook. Last night I smoked some pork tenderloins. The steps taken were rubbing the tenderloins and then rolling them up in thick cut applewood bacon while trying to make sure the thickness of the log was consistent. Then, I placed them on the K. Joe and tried keeping the temp around 325 F. I placed two pieces of applewood chunk in the Joe while leaving a couple of pieces from the previous smoke in there (these pieces were pretty charred on at least half the chunk piece). Surprisingly I had a slightly tough time with the temp as the Joe would reach 325 and then go back down to 300...maybe due to the wind? But I figured the wind would just help with the fire. Anyway, I followed a recipe for a basting sauce that was 1/3 strawberry jam, 1/3 Louisiana hot sauce, and 1/3 Worcestershire sauce. The first application of the sauce was at around 120 internal temp. A second application was done at 135 internal temp. At the end, the presentation was fantastic and looked really good. However, the taste to me was too overpowered with a smoke taste (mainly in the bacon). The tenderloins were REALLY juicy and didn't taste bad.

View attachment 291145

Any type of smoker similar to a KJoe or a barrel smoker is going to be very efficient, and concentrated on smoke. I have a barrel smoker, and never put more wood with the lump coal than a palm size chunk and I get more than enough smoke flavor, but not too much. In this case, bacon will easily take on more smoke flavor, and is likely why your cook came out with too much smoke taste. Kinda have to temper the amount of smoke wood to the type of meat. Based on the pics, I'd rule out too much high heat smoke. No blackening that is not bark. Pork, in general, takes smoke easily and doesn't require a lot of early smoke. and I seldom add smoke wood after about 1.5-2 hours to any meat. Ribs probably not after an hour. Drunk chickens, nothing but lump coal, no added smoke. By then any meat has taken all they are going to, and continuing to add smoke wood is where you will get the heavy external taste. Sorry you missed on the taste. the pics look fabulous. There will be a few differing opinions to mine, but I am not one who likes to burp smoke for the rest of the evening, so I don't put heavy smoke on anything. Smoke rings are pretty and awe inspiring, but getting the flavor you like is even better.

Last edited:
Anyone have the Char broil Premium smoker? New to the grilling game and want to try a electric smoker

No. But we have a Barrel Smoker and a Master Built Adventurer Series 40" electric. Bought at Bass Pro. It has performed very well and been a reliable product thus far. Using the electric alot more than the barrel at the moment. Electrics do a far better job than i imagined it would.

Any type of smoker similar to a KJoe or a barrel smoker is going to be very efficient, and concentrated on smoke. I have a barrel smoker, and never put more wood with the lump coal than a palm size chunk and I get more than enough smoke flavor, but not too much. In this case, bacon will easily take on more smoke flavor, and is likely why your cook came out with too much smoke taste. Kinda have to temper the amount of smoke wood to the type of meat. Based on the pics, I'd rule out too much high heat smoke. No blackening that is not bark. Pork, in general, takes smoke easily and doesn't require a lot of early smoke. and I seldom add smoke wood after about 1.5-2 hours to any meat. Ribs probably not after an hour. Drunk chickens, nothing but lump coal, no added smoke. By then any meat has taken all they are going to, and continuing to add smoke wood is where you will get the heavy external taste. Sorry you missed on the taste. the pics look fabulous. There will be a few differing opinions to mine, but I am not one who likes to burp smoke for the rest of the evening, so I don't put heavy smoke on anything. Smoke rings are pretty and awe inspiring, but getting the flavor you like is even better.

I probably had way too much wood chunk in there, then. Next time I will try it with just 1 piece of applewood and take any remaining chunk from a previous smoke out of the pit. I am also going to steer away from that sauce I used. Move to a apple cider & brown sugar glaze. A lot of recipes out there for that, but I figure just adding apple cider and brown sugar together and heating it until it turns thick should be enough to make the glaze.

I probably had way too much wood chunk in there, then. Next time I will try it with just 1 piece of applewood and take any remaining chunk from a previous smoke out of the pit. I am also going to steer away from that sauce I used. Move to a apple cider & brown sugar glaze. A lot of recipes out there for that, but I figure just adding apple cider and brown sugar together and heating it until it turns thick should be enough to make the glaze.
That sauce sounded pretty good actually. Especially for pork.

That sauce sounded pretty good actually. Especially for pork.

Huh, I may try it again then. I don't know much about basting sauces and how to make them. My wife is not a spicy food eater so sweet glazes/sauces will win out almost every time for her.

the thing to remember with any KJoe or Barrel style smoker is that because they are so efficient and they are generally a pretty tight seal on the smoke, if you are using lump charcoal, which is already a blend of hardwoods, you are already getting likely an oak/maple/hickory hit from the coal. that's why i add very little apple/pecan/cherry or whatever. It just needs very little added, if any.

Huh, I may try it again then. I don't know much about basting sauces and how to make them. My wife is not a spicy food eater so sweet glazes/sauces will win out almost every time for her.

Sauces and rubs are trial and error on what you like. I have some home rubs i took from different searches and adjusted, and then I have a small selection of go to store bought that are really good. Same with my BBQ sauce. we have a selection of store boughts I'm picky about, and then mine that I found a recipe I liked and tinkered with it. One secret on pork butts I've discovered is pork loves nutmeg. So, I add that to my rub now.

Yo

View attachment 291145
u used apple wood smoked bacon! You answered your own question.

You'll learn how much wood to use.

On the temp. Give it a little while to get to it's true temp. Are you keeping the area with the charcoal cleaned out. I have to clean my big green egg about every 5 cooks.

FWIW, some people love a bacon wrapped tenderloin. I think bacon on pork is overkill and won't do it. It runs a excellent cut of meat. Jmo.

Yo

u used apple wood smoked bacon! You answered your own question.

You'll learn how much wood to use.

On the temp. Give it a little while to get to it's true temp. Are you keeping the area with the charcoal cleaned out. I have to clean my big green egg about every 5 cooks.

FWIW, some people love a bacon wrapped tenderloin. I think bacon on pork is overkill and won't do it. It runs a excellent cut of meat. Jmo.

I'd concur for my preference. I will smoke bacon separately, but not wrapped on anything. Tenderloins are lean, but they will come out moist still if not over cooked.

VN Store

Back