The Grill and BBQ thread

I ordered a masterbuilt cold smoker attachment for my masterbuilt smoker. I’ve been struggling with smoke for the last few months and got tired of it and this attachment looks like it’ll solve the problem.

Haven't smoked a steak yet, but I'm definitely going to do it. I keep hearing how awesome it is. Let us know how it turns out. May push me to finally just buy some steaks.

The smoked porterhouse was better than the grilled porterhouse. What I did was smoke the steak until 105 degrees and then I put it on the grill to sear for 30 seconds on each side. Came out medium-rare and it was unbelievable. I think I found my new method to steaks.

The smoked porterhouse was better than the grilled porterhouse. What I did was smoke the steak until 105 degrees and then I put it on the grill to sear for 30 seconds on each side. Came out medium-rare and it was unbelievable. I think I found my new method to steaks.

I bought 3 bone-in ribeyes yesterday at the market. Gonna smoke them using mesquite. With what you said I am now really looking forward to this. I can't wait!

Reactions: volwindy
My father (Marquis) was and still is a man of simple tastes. He didn't particularly care what kind of grill he had, as long as it was charcoal. He always said that the flavor of charcoal was much better than propane. I believed him because he's my dad. But he'd usually have a basic, cheap charcoal grill that you could get at Walmart. He had one thing he'd add to enhance the flavor: garlic salt. Sprinkle some on the coals just before they're ready for the meat, and the smell will permeate through the neighborhood. We'd have neighbors come over to ask about the smell of what we're grilling, what secret marinade we were using (usually none), that sort of thing. He's upgraded to a better quality grill now (a pretty nice Char-Broil), but he's still a charcoal purist.

He passed that down to me and to my younger brother. We both will only use charcoal (basic Kingsford coals and basic lighter fluid), with garlic salt on the coals. It creates its own flavor, but it also complements whatever marinade you use.

Charcoal is the way God intended man to grill. Propane sucks.

Grillin some steaks right now. Read this a few days ago and decided to put the garlic salt on the coals.....does smell awesome man! Dont know what effect it will have on the meat yet, just wanted to give you an atta boy on that one! Your dad must have been a pretty cool cat brotha 👍

Tonight I used the weber grill2 for the first time and the rubber grips around the probes started melting off. Does anyone have any experience with this product and why it does this? Not rated for extreme heat? I think the max of the grill was 500.

Tonight I used the weber grill2 for the first time and the rubber grips around the probes started melting off. Does anyone have any experience with this product and why it does this? Not rated for extreme heat? I think the max of the grill was 500.
Which Weber grill?

If you want to smoke some stuff for the holiday but don’t want to spend your whole day doing it, I recommend giving these bad boys a whirl. It is a boneless turkey breast rubbed with “but rub” wrapped in thick bacon, then a little more rub.
Smoke at 225 until 160 degrees, then moved to the oven to broil the top until crispy.Super quick and easy. It is moist yet crispy and the smell will make a vegetarians mouth water.

Attachments

• 9B45DDDA-C76E-484A-968E-5179C46AE8F9.jpeg
    9B45DDDA-C76E-484A-968E-5179C46AE8F9.jpeg
    980.9 KB · Views: 8
I got a shoulder and put it on the rec tec 370 at 10:30, how long you think? 12 hours?????

I don't know what a rectec is, but you didn't mention the temp or size. Low and slow is how most people cook a pork shoulder. I usually cook on a green egg at 200-225, and prefer 250 to be the max except for the last hour or so.
I'm sure there are others here who cook at 300. At least I think I've seen that.
I typically buy a 3 lbs. Shoulder so that will cook quicker that a 8 lbs shoulder.
I have cooked large shoulders for16 hours.

Reactions: zhangliao04
Not a happy camper this morning. My Traeger shut itself down somewhere around 3 am and I (foolishly) didn't set the low temp alarm. That 10lb shoulder sat in the danger zone way too long for me to risk it, so I'm pitching it. We had a quick power outage just after I put it on, but I restarted it and all seemed to be fine. Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it wasn't during the 7.5lb boneless prime rib on deck for tomorrow.

Not a happy camper this morning. My Traeger shut itself down somewhere around 3 am and I (foolishly) didn't set the low temp alarm. That 10lb shoulder sat in the danger zone way too long for me to risk it, so I'm pitching it. We had a quick power outage just after I put it on, but I restarted it and all seemed to be fine. Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it wasn't during the 7.5lb boneless prime rib on deck for tomorrow.
That is no good. I would not have risked it either. Even if it was just me eating the meat.

Hope the Prime Rib works out tomorrow,

I don't know what a rectec is, but you didn't mention the temp or size. Low and slow is how most people cook a pork shoulder. I usually cook on a green egg at 200-225, and prefer 250 to be the max except for the last hour or so.
I'm sure there are others here who cook at 300. At least I think I've seen that.
I typically buy a 3 lbs. Shoulder so that will cook quicker that a 8 lbs shoulder.
I have cooked large shoulders for16 hours.
Rectec 370 is the grill I purchased. Amazing results so far!!!

Reactions: zhangliao04
I got a shoulder and put it on the rec tec 370 at 10:30, how long you think? 12 hours?????

First thing's first. How big is your pork shoulder? What is your cooking temp? And third, what is your end temp you want to pull your shoulder out? Those three are your largest predictors for how long it will take. For me, I smoke around 250°F and my butt/shoulder (around 10 lbs.) it started at 8:30 am and was finished at 3:30 pm that same day. I've got one going right now and started it at 8 so I assume it will be done around the same time. Now, if yours is smaller then it will take less time at the same temp. Temperature and cooking time also have an inverse relationship. Also, make sure to spray your shoulder/butt during the smoke to keep it nice and moist.

Also, I apologize if you knew some or all of this. Didn't know where to start hah.

VN Store

Back