The effort DW puts into secrecy

You have to admit. The amount of effort White is putting into this “No Leak” policy is quite ridiculous. If they put half the effort in finding a great coach as they do secrecy/misdirection then it would for sure be home run hires.

I'm putting the odds of this dude having a "Q" bumper sticker on his car at upwards of 80%.

500.jpg

Reactions: GoVols64
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying. “We interviewed ‘said subject’ and they have declined.” Leave those egos at the door.
And what's the benefit of saying that?

If you're looking for a new job, do you add to your resume every interview you had that didn't lead to an offer ?

Or when asking for date, do you proclaim all of the rejections you had before?

Whoever thinks the Shiano hire leaking wasn’t a good thing I really have to question your mindset 😂. I know Pruitt was a disaster but Shiano would have been a horrible 3 years also. The point I’m making is Tennessee fans are desperate and battered to death! You want us back in seats? Throw us a bone every now and then. Make some good PR videos, get us excited again and include us a little. We’re not asking to be insiders. Shutting the fans out is how we’ve gotten to where we are now.

Reactions: loservol
You have to admit. The amount of effort White is putting into this “No Leak” policy is quite ridiculous. If they put half the effort in finding a great coach as they do secrecy/misdirection then it would for sure be home run hires. It’s also pretty childish and smug to do this in 2021. I understand there has to be some confidential information but Auburn and other teams did not do this mess. You’d have less problems just giving a little information like normal administrations. JMO
I would much rather have every sportscaster in town say “breaking news” 20 times a day and be wrong, than to have leaked information about every coach that turns us down. That has been the problem in the past. That’s why we have been the laughing stock of Universities.

Whoever thinks the Shiano hire leaking wasn’t a good thing I really have to question your mindset 😂. I know Pruitt was a disaster but Shiano would have been a horrible 3 years also. The point I’m making is Tennessee fans are desperate and battered to death! You want us back in seats? Throw us a bone every now and then. Make some good PR videos, get us excited again and include us a little. We’re not asking to be insiders. Shutting the fans out is how we’ve gotten to where we are now.

Can predict exactly where a coach would've had a program in three years. Yet doesn't even know how to spell the coach's name. :rolleyes:

And what's the benefit of saying that?

If you're looking for a new job, do you add to your resume every interview you had that didn't lead to an offer ?

Or when asking for date, do you proclaim all of the rejections you had before?
If asked by the media, “hey did you interview Scott Satterfield?” there’s nothing wrong with (yes that’s right) telling the truth. Bro this is College football! They kind of signed up for that. Comparing this to our regular jobs and girlfriends is foolish..

Throw you a bone huh? So you can piss and moan that it was flavored, wasnt big enough or it was a generic type instead of name brand?

Can predict exactly where a coach would've had a program in three years. Yet doesn't even know how to spell the coach's name. :rolleyes:
Really? Who Cares if Greg’s name is spelled correctly?? Yeah I’ll predict he would have been a loser coach at Tennessee.

If asked by the media, “hey did you interview Scott Satterfield?” there’s nothing wrong with (yes that’s right) telling the truth. Bro this is College football! They kind of signed up for that. Comparing this to our regular jobs and girlfriends is foolish..
Sounds like someone needs to leave his ego at the door

Reactions: Red Forman
I personally applaud the "no leak" policy if, it is, in fact, a policy. It could just be an effort to keep the the search professional and not violate the privacy of those involved. I find the approach refreshing. Don't understand why anyone thinks we have a right to know every detail of what goes on behind the scenes of a search such as this. We have numerous examples of how such information is misused or misquoted when it is released, often by so-called professional journalists and certainly by our rivals. It appears that DW learns from history and proceeds accordingly which shows good judgement on his part. I know everyone is anxious to know what the new staff will look like and, yes, the time it is taking does suggest that our top choices are not panning out. But it also implies that DW and CJH are working to get the best outcome possible under our current circumstances. I would be more disappointed if they rushed to a conclusion driven by impatience. Everyone should go grab a beer, scotch, bourbon or whatever libation you use to relax and let them do the job they were hired to do. The answer will come soon enough.

Throw you a bone huh? So you can piss and moan that it was flavored, wasnt big enough or it was a generic type instead of name brand?
That’s all Volnation is these days. Mainly folks complaining. Am I wrong? I mean we haven’t had anything to brag about for 15 years. I’m happy with the JH hire. Do we need to check the estrogen levels in this thread today? Wow! Y’all bent over and out of shape on this one. 😂

I totally agree with the need to keep contacts confidential. Most coaches receive interest calls all the time for positions. And typically these are for informational purposes only in order to build a list of candidates for interviews. This is the role of the search firms. If that information were released, it could send the wrong message to fans that he or she were looking for another job. We are all wanting to hear about the search, but we don't need to know everything. Plus the media can also be very toxic towards the program. We don't need to be click bait for them.

I think Danny White should have put a poll out there on volnation for all DC candidates across college football.

We would then handle it like March madness. Let Volnation vote every other day. Start with the round of 64 and then get to the round of two....

...of course once we get to the final two, we would decide that they both suck and talk bad about them for some thing that happened 10 years ago and have to start over. We would never end up with a DC, but at least that would make volnation happy.

There is no super-level secrecy going on. It's naive to think there is even time for that silliness.

They simply aren't telling people their business. They aren't trying to cover it up.
Thank you for a normal response and shedding some light on the subject without taking the post personal.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I disagree with the OP. The way people react to wild and unsubstantiated rumors is the very reason we DW needs to try to keep things close to the vest. I have no problem whatsoever with attempting to keep the rumors and innuendos to a minimum, although I recognize that's impossible for many.

I disagree with you. This is backwards logic. The only reason there are wild and unsubstantiated rumors is exactly because of the secrecy. In the absence of clear information people will invent their own.

If you say the truth and are transparent then people cant invent their own rumors.

Reactions: volfan8
Agreed. The very fact that a rumor gets out can affect your negotiating position.

He’s given me 0 cause for complaint at this point. Very professional and apparently proactive.
They either like the offer or they don’t. We are kidding ourselves if we think these coaches have to time to sit around watching the news, checking headlines, trying to figure out how many people a university has interviewed before them. They don’t even have time to see their own families for Christ’s sake. Much less see what number in line they were on our call list.

I disagree with you. This is backwards logic. The only reason there are wild and unsubstantiated rumors is exactly because of the secrecy. In the absence of clear information people will invent their own.

If you say the truth and are transparent then people cant invent their own rumors.

Do you have any reason to believe that any RELEVANT information will not be shared by leadership in a rational timeframe?

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Thank you! This is my point aslo. It’s what got us here.

Do you have any reason to believe that any RELEVANT information will not be shared by leadership in a rational timeframe?
I dont know what any of that means in real terms.

If you don't give the media something to talk about, then they will talk about whatever they want to fill the void of relevancy.

A good AD, a real professional, would have had his hire made before setting foot on UTs campus. A true home run hire, a true baller AD would have done this.

This is my opinion of course but people went full retard in anointing Danny White the Jesus Christ of ADs when the reality is he just walked right off the edge of the pool into the deepest end of the SEC swimming pool with no floaties on his arms. He was big sh!t until the SEC punched him in the face then he staggered and had to hire his old coach from UCF.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying. “We interviewed ‘said subject’ and they have declined.” Leave those egos at the door.
If you interviewed for another job, would you be cool with them calling and telling your current boss?

VN Store

Back