The effort DW puts into secrecy

I disagree with the OP. The way people react to wild and unsubstantiated rumors is the very reason we DW needs to try to keep things close to the vest. I have no problem whatsoever with attempting to keep the rumors and innuendos to a minimum, although I recognize that's impossible for many.

And with the history of leaks? UT Knoxville has become the Titanic, especially in relationship to the Tennessee sports programs. It seems like we are inundated with journalists with "sources". Once this coaching search is over, I could see Danny White working toward a house cleaning in sports administration. There may be personal assistants, secretaries, maintenance men, janitors, or God knows what with open ears and mouths and friendships to people passing along rumors to these journalists.

Reactions: Tombo7
Considering every hire made in the major sports over the last 10+ years with the exception of Barnes and Vitello have been disasters, a new approach from the athletic department and AD probably should be more appreciated than criticized.

You have to admit. The amount of effort White is putting into this “No Leak” policy is quite ridiculous. If they put half the effort in finding a great coach as they do secrecy/misdirection then it would for sure be home run hires. It’s also pretty childish and smug to do this in 2021. I understand there has to be some confidential information but Auburn and other teams did not do this mess. You’d have less problems just giving a little information like normal administrations. JMO

Totally disagree.

You have to admit. The amount of effort White is putting into this “No Leak” policy is quite ridiculous. If they put half the effort in finding a great coach as they do secrecy/misdirection then it would for sure be home run hires. It’s also pretty childish and smug to do this in 2021. I understand there has to be some confidential information but Auburn and other teams did not do this mess. You’d have less problems just giving a little information like normal administrations. JMO

Just a few months ago we had a very embarrassing leak to the media about the investigation well before anyone really even knew anything. Confidentiality within an administrative office absolutely has to be protected and anyone that can’t keep their mouth shut needs to be shown the door.

I think you misunderstand the nature of operational security (keeping secrets as an organization).

Sure, it takes some work up front to get everyone to buy in. But once you've got the culture built, it doesn't take a lot of time or effort to maintain it. Basically, just reminding everyone from time to time that it's important, and why.

So...maybe you're just IMAGINING some huge effort he's putting into it right now. Maybe he already did all the heavy lifting in the first week or two, and things are just good now.

Further, there's nothing obviously "childish" or "smug" about operational security. Those adjectives don't even seem to make sense, in this context. Maybe you can explain how you meant them.
Yeah he actually stated that he tried pretty hard to keep things a secret in the coaching hire. He felt the need to comment back on Twitter pertaining to the subject. So I’m not imagining anything. I have no problem with them keeping things close to chest but I feel there is a extended effort for misdirection. Which is extra work and wasted energy. I like Danny White so far. Fearing the fans reaction on a coaching search is childish in my opinion.

Reactions: LocoVol
The butthurt is strong with this one. Danny White just operates on a need to know basis. Guess who doesn't need to know?
Butt hurt? 90 percent of these threads right now are people stressing over the DC hire and who it might be.. This place would be a ghost town if the hires were done. Don’t really see your point. We are here to discuss topics.

I think it's great that he's trying but he can't control the side he's talking to because they're not under his purview. Other coaches have agents, families, friends, coaches they work with, their own staff, etc. White, of Coach, can't control everything that comes from the other end of the conversation.

I'll admit I feel exactly the opposite way OP. As VFL-82-JP points out OPSEC is critical in both military and business applications. The more information you let out (or leaks) the more leverage your competition and/or target has. The more frustration from fans yelling about rumor and innuendo because some pencil D!(k wants to feel important but have not context as to what is really going on.

Looking back on our previous searches, specifically w/Currie, make the case that they less information that gets out the better. That example plus the massive assumptions OP makes about effort to keep things quiet makes the case even stronger.....

Reactions: VFL-82-JP and WxVol
Just curious to see what should have been made public that hasn’t been? Should he make a public announcement for each candidate that has turned him down for various positions?
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying. “We interviewed ‘said subject’ and they have declined.” Leave those egos at the door.

Yeah I bet he watched what happened to Curry and Shiano and said to himself "lets make sure they know well ahead of time"

Reactions: TGVol
Considering they’ve made some really great hires so far, there’s more evidence that how they do business is working.

Danny’s the most qualified AD we’ve hired in decades and I trust him to operate how he wants to
There are a few touting DW’s qualifications. So far I am unimpressed with the direction of the coaching searches and hires. Time will tell.

There’s a very good reason for it.

Imagine this phone call to a prospective DC hire.
"Hi Rodney, as you know you are the forty third DC candidate on our list, and everyone else has told us they don't want the job. In spite of that, we're still not desperate at all, and we think you would be a fantastic hire. I could still announce your name at the press conference and tell the entire world that we're really exited to have you on staff here at UT."

"Hi Rodney, as you know you are the forty third DC candidate on our list, and everyone else has told us they don't want the job. In spite of that, we're still not desperate at all, and we think you would be a fantastic hire. I could still announce your name at the press conference and tell the entire world that we're really exited to have you on staff here at UT."
If that deters a coach then that’s not the type of character we need here running our defense now is it?

Reactions: LocoVol
It does make a difference if the candidate “knows” you’ve been turned down 5 times vs not at all. The AD has to apply leverage to close a deal efficiently without getting ripped off.

There are 3 reasons for deadlines:
1. Spring practice
2. Grab some players out of the portal
3. Recruit for class of 22

Everything else is for entertainment and bragging rights.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I disagree with the OP. The way people react to wild and unsubstantiated rumors is the very reason we DW needs to try to keep things close to the vest. I have no problem whatsoever with attempting to keep the rumors and innuendos to a minimum, although I recognize that's impossible for many.

Agreed. The very fact that a rumor gets out can affect your negotiating position.

He’s given me 0 cause for complaint at this point. Very professional and apparently proactive.

Exactly. The candidate will wait you out and you’ll overpay.

Butt hurt? 90 percent of these threads right now are people stressing over the DC hire and who it might be.. This place would be a ghost town if the hires were done. Don’t really see your point. We are here to discuss topics.

Then preface everything you say with "I Don't Know".

A few things to consider:

1. It's not football season. Visit some other threads.
2. It's past NSD. No recruits to really talk about.
3. Spring practice is weeks away if at all.
4. It doesn't matter what the fans think of the DC hire or other staff. It will happen when it happens.

Personally, after the Gruden bull$hit and the Freeze repeat it should be obvious there aren't any VN posters that are really in the know. You can get the same entertainment value reading the National Enquirer this time of year. It's refreshing to me to see the Schiano 'power' stripped of Vol Nation. We are on a need to know basis, which we earned.

Reactions: KELSOWAVOL
Yeah he actually stated that he tried pretty hard to keep things a secret in the coaching hire. He felt the need to comment back on Twitter pertaining to the subject. So I’m not imagining anything. I have no problem with them keeping things close to chest but I feel there is a extended effort for misdirection. Which is extra work and wasted energy. I like Danny White so far. Fearing the fans reaction on a coaching search is childish in my opinion.
"fearing the fans reaction on a coaching search is childish in my opinion" Fan reaction is what caused the Schiano debacle and the hasty hire in Pruitt. I assume there are reasons, that we have no clue of, causing DW and Huepel to keep all of this quiet. Seems to me that you are so worried about this hire and cant stand not being privy to the information. "Fan reaction" Im still laughing at that comment considering the fan base has pissed and moaned for years.

Reactions: ksgovols

VN Store

Back