The Dallas Cowboys football circus thread

We're still in 1st in the East and playoffs aren't out of the picture. Jerry isn't going to fire a head coach mid-season under those circumstances.

If we keep flopping against good teams and lose in the playoffs or miss them completely, then he might actually consider firing Garrett. Although I don't think he wants to. He's always wanted Garrett on staff even when he was backing up Aikman in the 90s..

If that’s the case Jerry needs to step aside because he’s no longer able to separate friends and business. The man has had 10 years, 2 playoff wins, and gobs of talent. The locker room is turning on him and you could make an argument they’re making things worse to force a hand. Dak isn’t playing great and sometimes forcing throws, Zeke isn’t running inspired, and Witten allegedly sided with Jones.

I dont understand how Jerry could fire a head coach in Tom Landry who won 2 super bowls and 15 divisional titles and stick by this clown Garrett and his mediocrity for all these years.

Former player and coach. Emotionally involved. I’ll believe it when I see it and I don’t think we will

If that’s the case Jerry needs to step aside because he’s no longer able to separate friends and business. The man has had 10 years, 2 playoff wins, and gobs of talent. The locker room is turning on him and you could make an argument they’re making things worse to force a hand. Dak isn’t playing great and sometimes forcing throws, Zeke isn’t running inspired, and Witten allegedly sided with Jones.
I'm not sure if it's a friend thing. Jerry gets an idea in his head and it sticks. Back in the 90s he got it in his head that Garrett would make a great coach. Jerry tried to get him to retire early when he was still playing so he could hire him on the coaching staff. Garrett chose to keep playing.

When Garrett finally did get into coaching it was with the Dolphins first as qb coach. We had a head coach job come open after Parcells left. Normally you would expect to hire a head coach first, then the coach picks his staff. Not this time. Jerry grabbed Garrett to make him OC a month before Wade Phillips was hired as Dallas' new head coach.

If Garrett ever does get fired, I'd expect Jerry will hire another yes man coach that tolerates his meddling. And we'll likely continue to be mediocre overall.

I am pretty confident Jerry has a check ready for Riley. The issue will be if Riley doesn't want to leave OU, even for the money offered. That would leave Jerry in a bind. I am also certain he has spoken personally to Riley's agent to get a feel for the situation. I think if he can't get Riley, he keeps Garrett on a year to year basis until the next hotshot comes around.

Reports are that if (when) Garrett is fired, they're looking at Lincoln Riley, Urban Meyer, and Chris Petersen.

I would support all 3 of those hires. Garrett isn't getting it done. This is pathetic.

Some crazy stats: This season, the Cowboys have scored more points than the Seahawks. They have also allowed fewer points than the Seahawks. They have gained more yards and given up fewer yards than the Seahawks.
The Cowboys are 6-7.
The Seahawks are 10-2.
#Coaching

Maybe Meyer. I've heard Petersen's name mentioned and that would surprise me. But maybe Meyer has had a long enough break. I hear there are good cardiologists on Dallas. Was in one of those airplane magazines.

I wouldn't hire him though.

After thinking about this, I believe Urban is the top pick. I think OU will give Riley a raise and get him to stay even if he loses to LSU. Not sure I like the idea of Meyer, but the guy does win and he builds the culture to a sustainable level of success. He tends to have a health problem when adversity strikes and he leaves a mess behind when he leaves though. But he won't have to worry about NCAA investigators in the NFL.
The Cowboys also have the things he needs to succeed. If you notice all his coaching stops have had a couple things in common. An established QB and no real head coaching competition. He left Utah when Pete Carroll was getting rolling. He left florida when Tebow left and Saban was beginning to dominate.

After thinking about this, I believe Urban is the top pick. I think OU will give Riley a raise and get him to stay even if he loses to LSU. Not sure I like the idea of Meyer, but the guy does win and he builds the culture to a sustainable level of success. He tends to have a health problem when adversity strikes and he leaves a mess behind when he leaves though. But he won't have to worry about NCAA investigators in the NFL.
The Cowboys also have the things he needs to succeed. If you notice all his coaching stops have had a couple things in common. An established QB and no real head coaching competition. He left Utah when Pete Carroll was getting rolling. He left florida when Tebow left and Saban was beginning to dominate.
Meyer left Utah for Florida when Utah was in the Mountain West. He left for a real job. He put Utah in position to eventually go to the Pac12

Reactions: Plecoptera
I think the Cowboys should wear blue at home more; this combo is better than their standard white. I get it's their thing to wear white at home but times change. Plus it's not like that whole wearing white at home has been working out that great for them lately.

Whooopeee we’re winning. With all of the talent that we have, we should be doing this. There’s no excuses for losing this one, or the next two going into the playoffs.

VN Store

Back