Team News (current roster)

Haven’t seen it discussed anywhere and knew it has to be coming up soon… when does official practice begin?

They have been impressed with Key, so Santi could start at the 1, with key next to him. Then we have JJJ at the 3 with maybe Phillips at the 4 and Olivier at the 5? I'll be interested to see how they handle that. Do they start Uros again? Do they start Aidoo at the 5 and Olivier at the 4? Uros is probably best suited to come off the bench and give us higher impact short bursts. I would think ON and Aidoo take up most of the minutes at the 5. I'll assume Edwards also has a decent role, I would also suspect Mashack will get the final spot in that rotation.

I just cannot see Vescovi being moved back to the 1. I don’t buy it. He was 1st-Team All-SEC when he moved off the ball. I’m supposed to believe our best PG will come off the bench and we push Vescovi back to the 1? Nah. Not happening. This is just Rick talking about ZZ being a selfless individual. ZZ will start unless BJ turns out to be Kennedy Chandler 2.0 which is unlikely.

I just cannot see Vescovi being moved back to the 1. I don’t buy it. He was 1st-Team All-SEC when he moved off the ball. I’m supposed to believe our best PG will come off the bench and we push Vescovi back to the 1? Nah. Not happening. This is just Rick talking about ZZ being a selfless individual. ZZ will start unless BJ turns out to be Kennedy Chandler 2.0 which is unlikely.
Or they like what they’ve seen from Key at PG and feel his veteran presence can handle the start of games? Not saying that’s the case and I agree on Zeigler likely starting, just presenting another option. Key, Santi, James, Phillips and Nkahmoua with Zeigler coming in at first dead ball for Key? Or maybe even Nkahmoua & Plav/Aidoo start at 4/5 and Zeigler & Phillips both come in at first timeout.

Or they like what they’ve seen from Key at PG and feel his veteran presence can handle the start of games? Not saying that’s the case and I agree on Zeigler likely starting, just presenting another option. Key, Santi, James, Phillips and Nkahmoua with Zeigler coming in at first dead ball for Key? Or maybe even Nkahmoua & Plav/Aidoo start at 4/5 and Zeigler & Phillips both come in at first timeout.
My guess for likely starting 5 is ZZZ, Santi, Key, JJJ and Nkahmoua. 5 star Phillips is coming off the bench at least to start the season. I do like the energy ZZZ brought off the bench last year. If he doesn't start, we have a lot of good options to handle the ball with the other starters doing a point guard by committee. I'm excited to see what Key brings to the table. Another versatile talented player that fits what Barnes likes to do.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

That would all make more sense than pushing Santi back to the 1. It's like neutering your best offensive weapon to have him primarily be a facilitator. He needs to be off the ball. I think Rick knows that as well.

That would all make more sense than pushing Santi back to the 1. It's like neutering your best offensive weapon to have him primarily be a facilitator. He needs to be off the ball. I think Rick knows that as well.
The real issue is that it weakens two positions on the floor. You don't take your best SG and move him to PG in a move that benches your best PG option.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I don’t think it will be Santi, I could be wrong but don’t see that…to me this sounds like Key at PG.
I have a hard time believing it's Vescovi, too. Just doesn't make good sense. I also don't believe Key is a great option there outside of spot minutes, either. Bottom line, ZZ is going to play the most minutes at PG until I see differently.

Last edited:
I have a hard believing it's Vescovi, too. Just doesn't make good sense. I also don't believe Key is a great option there outside of spot minutes, either. Bottom line, ZZ is going to play the most minutes at PG until I see differently.
Like I just posted in the other thread, no difference in 32mpg for Zeigler starting at PG or 32mpg coming off the bench at PG.

Definitely do not see Santi running point to start games. Has to be Key or ZZ. As someone alluded to above, I also have a hard time seeing JP beginning the season in the starting lineup, which leaves no other option than ZZ starting at the 1.

Definitely do not see Santi running point to start games. Has to be Key or ZZ. As someone alluded to above, I also have a hard time seeing JP beginning the season in the starting lineup, which leaves no other option than ZZ starting at the 1.
Key, Santi, JJ, Nkahmoua & Plav. Not saying that’s what it will be but that’s most definitely an option.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

VN Store

Back