Team News (current roster)

It's akin to having a talented football team without a QB. The obviously don't think much of or respect ZZ. I think we'll have some growing pains early on, but if the game slows down for Edwards and we can play both Key and Vescovi off the ball...assuming the issues with Key's stroke are resolved...I think we'll be a load come tournament time. We've got so many pieces that the most intriguing aspect to the season will be watching Barnes try to put them all together into a well running team.
Where did you hear Key had issues with his stroke?

I will assume for now that ZZ will start but CRB's quote is definitely curious. If ZZ doesn't start, I agree it will not be SV at the point. That leaves Key as the likely option but could it be that we see JJJ as a point forward in a starting lineup of SV, Key, JJJ, ON, and Plavsic? CRB seemed to really like Plavsic as a starter in games last year and we know to BTO's point that he emphasizes the post game.
Good thought. I could see JJJ running at point forward for pockets of time.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Depending how Phillips performs at point, that could solve our issue. Who is going to guard one of the guards though? If we start Santi, JJJ, and Phillips at 1-3, JJJ can guard 1-5 in college, but he seems to be best guarding 3s and 4s. Can Phillips defend guards? I would assume he's probably also more of a 3/4 just based on all the stuff that was talked about before he got here. This is still all assuming that ZZ doesn't just start at PG.

Depending how Phillips performs at point, that could solve our issue. Who is going to guard one of the guards though? If we start Santi, JJJ, and Phillips at 1-3, JJJ can guard 1-5 in college, but he seems to be best guarding 3s and 4s. Can Phillips defend guards? I would assume he's probably also more of a 3/4 just based on all the stuff that was talked about before he got here. This is still all assuming that ZZ doesn't just start at PG.
I'll believe Phillips at PG when I see it.

I mean that's fair, but that's the talk.
Not sure “that’s the talk”, it was mentioned one time he has repped there some, that was it. Barnes mentioned earlier in the week they like repping many guys there so that multiple guys are comfortable getting the ball and going, not “the PG” coming to get the ball. My take is that it’s just an attempt to get Phillips more comfortable getting a rebound and going, not that we will see him running point.

If Phillips can pull off some PG for 5-8 minutes a game, he will probably be one a done. He can blow by his defender, at least in AAU and high school, and is no doubt finisher. If he does that a couple time, the defense will send help, then he dishes, could be beautiful. 6'8 freshman that can run some Point, that would definitely improve his stock, imo. Somebody on here, compared Phillips to PG13 and u all know that's my man. PG runs a lot point for the Clippers, so hopefully JP ends up PG 2.0. I really think Phillips will end up a lottery pick as of right now. But give me 10 games next year, just to be sure.

“As for the newcomers, Tyreke Key and Julian Phillips are absolutely going to be contributors who play big minutes. We were surprised to hear this week that Rick Barnes has even been dabbling with Phillips at the point some.”

-Rob Lewis
If so, then he’s a Penny type player. I’ve seen Phillips in person and he is every bit 6’7”. And nit Grant Williams 6’7”. Legit, with no shoes 6’7”.

Where did you hear Key had issues with his stroke?
An article mentioned his shooting from 3 had declined 3 straight years. I looked it up and they were correct.
.324 17/18 season
.448 18/19 season
.389 19/20 season
.316 20/21 season
Speculation was that someone had "worked with him" on his shot and changed it. Another thought there had been a lingering injury that affected his release. Don't recall who or where I read it, but those stats are from the ISU website.

An article mentioned his shooting from 3 had declined 3 straight years. I looked it up and they were correct.
.324 17/18 season
.448 18/19 season
.389 19/20 season
.316 20/21 season
Speculation was that someone had "worked with him" on his shot and changed it. Another thought there had been a lingering injury that affected his release. Don't recall who or where I read it, but those stats are from the ISU website.
It’s been much discussed that he was battling a shoulder problem until he finally got surgery and missed last season

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
This team needs Phillips to be comfortable bringing the ball up the court in the break to reach its full potential. Glad to hear he’s getting reps with the ball in his hands, the sooner he is ready the better.

VN Store

Back