Team News (current roster)

Do u and/or the Georgetown media think that John Thompson passing away, recently, maybe helps Georgetown ? I think the legacy thing has more meaning after Mutombo and Ewing's former coach passed away, maybe Dikembe and Ryan feel more of an obligation to go to Georgetown ?

I'm not an expert or insider, but I doubt the death of a coach, any coach, would make someone choose that school. Georgetown was always going to be a factor in his recruitment. It just doesn't seem like a good fit for Ryan outside of the obvious legacy connection. Until Yurtseven had a semi-breakout season this year, Ewing struggled to develop big men and played mostly small ball. It's an odd fit.

Reactions: TN_gal and The Dog
I'm not an expert or insider, but I doubt the death of a coach, any coach, would make someone choose that school. Georgetown was always going to be a factor in his recruitment. It just doesn't seem like a good fit for Ryan outside of the obvious legacy connection. Until Yurtseven had a semi-breakout season this year, Ewing struggled to develop big men and played mostly small ball. It's an odd fit.
Thanks, man

As for the current team we continue to hear the same kind of glowing buzz about Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer that’s been trickling out for a couple of months now. The most surprising thing we’ve heard this week is that both could see time at point guard. That’s not really a shock on Springer, after all he played the position for IMG Academy last year, but the thought from many was that since he’s such a gifted scorer the staff wouldn’t want to put too much on his plate as a freshman. Apparently that’s not the case though and while we’re not saying Springer is going to be the primary ball handler and start there, but don’t rule it out.
The targets are the same ones we’ve mentioned here for awhile now. Jabari Smith is at the top of the board. Caleb Houstan is in there along with Charles Bediako and true five man Ryan Mutumbo is a priority target.

Mutumbo said in an interview with rivals this week that he is considering delaying his decision until the spring due to the extension of the dead period. That would probably be to Tennessee’s advantage so that they could get him on campus for a visit, but as we saw with Mashack’s commitment, that’s not necessarily a requirement in these strange times.

Chris Dortch announced the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook's 2020-2021 Preseason Top 25.

Tennessee is #5.
(Kentucky #13, Alabama #14)

Preseason Top 25 list here.

For those interested, Chris Dortch was a guest on the latest episode of the Behind the Arc podcast hosted by WMNL's Joel Silverberg.

Listen here or on your preferred podcatcher. (His interview starts at around the 7:34 minute mark.)

Dortch goes into detail as to why Tennessee is ranked #5 complete with insights on many of the players. He gave a great interview.

Either Walker is shorter than advertised, or Pons is taller than advertised.

24 and 32 look like HS freshmen.

What's the latest on Devonte Gaines? Has he gained weight, how has he looked off season? Could he be that one player that gives us that positive 180 in his game now over last season? Not heard a lot of talk about him off season.
180 would be a weight improvement!

Pictures can be deceiving but a few observations:
1. Pember can almost stand toe to toe with Plavsic
2. Pons is listed at 6"6" and Walker at 6"8." I know it's only two inches, but...
3. Jancek and Morris are two pretty tall walk-ons.[/Pember is 6'11" and Uros 7'1".

On the recruiting front it’s beginning to look more and more like Jabari Smith and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (assuming he eventually reclassoies into 2021) are going to be the Vols’ primary targets in this cycle. Based off what we’re hearing this week it doesn’t feel like Tennessee going to end up being serious players for either Caleb Houstan or Charles Bediako.

In Houstan’s case, he sees himself as more of a guard/wing at 6-foot-8 than someone who is going to play the four. With Tennessee taking top-50 guard Jahmai Mashack last month they’re probably out of the Houstan chase. As far as Bediako, with the dead period in place for at least a few more months it just doesn’t feel like the Vols have a ton of traction.

I would definitely look for Tennessee to try and find some more size somewhere, whether that’s a 2021 target who emerges in the spring or a grad transfer remains to be seen but I don’t have a name or two to throw out there at the moment.
-VQ.

There’s always guy who pop up in the spring and given no AAU or evaluation in the fall there likely will be more this year than past years. Also always see the reclassification with guys, could see a post guy in ‘22 that’s on our board make the move to ‘21...and then there’s also the graduate transfer route or quite possibly by then the one time time transfer without sitting out. BHH has stated he’s waiting until January at least to decide iirc, so sounds like Smith might be the only fall option.

VN Store

Back