Team News (current roster)

Rob Lewis stated on the VQ podcast that “someone very close to the BB program” threw out the phrase Top-5 pick when speaking about Keon Johnson.

So what you're saying is that he will come back another year to improve his stock, but also to get a good start on his education right? I would hate to lose a Top-5 pick after just one year! Why leave?

Rob Lewis stated on the VQ podcast that “someone very close to the BB program” threw out the phrase Top-5 pick when speaking about Keon Johnson.
Very premature. For the kid's sake, I would love to see this, but this is a cart-before-the-horse projection from whoever said it. The momentum generated on this board for PB becoming a Vol is another example of a situation that obviously was not what it seemed to some. One poster actually exclaimed as "laughable" the idea there were some on here who refused to believe Banchero was a likely Vol.

For Keon's sake, I hope he matches the hype. Our fans will demand his head on a pike if he doesn't average 15/5/4 at this point.

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
For Keon's sake, I hope he matches the hype. Our fans will demand his head on a pike if he doesn't average 15/5/4 at this point.

I don’t think the majority of our fanbase pays *this* close attention to things. I haven’t seen this circulating twitter yet. I think the majority of people on this board will have reasonable expectations for Keon and Springer.

Sadly, that is true. I hope that is the case, but realistically, it may not happen, as you're alluding to. The kid is a humble, hard-working young man who epitomizes what Barnes preaches as a player and person. He has a great family support system and one thing I know is that regardless of his numbers, he will make a huge impact.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I don’t think the majority of our fanbase pays *this* close attention to things. I haven’t seen this circulating twitter yet. I think the majority of people on this board will have reasonable expectations for Keon and Springer.
Referring more to the casual fan on twitter and VolNation.

Referring more to the casual fan on twitter and VolNation.

True. I don't know what my expectations for the two star freshmen are other than I hope that they are major contributors. I feel like we will need them both to be at least as good as their ranking suggests to accomplish the goals this team has. Outside of that, the jury is still out. No way to know.

Yup. My expectations are 30 points. 5 rebounds, 5 assist, 10 steals, and 10 blocks per game. Pretty reasonable if you ask me 🤷‍♂️

Very premature. For the kid's sake, I would love to see this, but this is a cart-before-the-horse projection from whoever said it. The momentum generated on this board for PB becoming a Vol is another example of a situation that obviously was not what it seemed to some. One poster actually exclaimed as "laughable" the idea there were some on here who refused to believe Banchero was a likely Vol.
The two things are completely unrelated. Time to get over it

Yeah, Zach Kent was our best post, the light had come for Jalen Johnson, JJJ was a first round pick and Plavsic was an immediate impact contributor during this reports.

Those things should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: walkenvol
Rick Barnes’ zoom call w/ Rob Lewis today:

Feels like this is going to be his most athletic team at Tennessee. Feels like they have a chance to break a great defensive team. Depth and athleticism will let them pressure the way he wants to pressure people.

Biggest thing for Johnson and Springer right now is to get in shape. Both talented enough to contribute early.

Says that the way they've had to work this summer has been like going to the driving range and the putting green all for two months without ever getting to actually play golf.

Josiah's biggest improvement has been with his flexibility, much improved from last year where Rick thought he was a little stiff. Expects to play him 'all over the court.'

Bailey, Vescovi, Springer and James can all play some PG, wants guys to rebound it and go, happy to have several who can do that.

Really positive comments about Anosike, very high on him.

Said Nkamhoua has had a great offseason, was really complimentary of him and the improvement he's made.

Feels like Uros is in much better condition, has to stop dribbling so much and learn to play lower.

Says Santiago probably had the best summer of anyone b/c he didn't have the same restrictions they were working with here and got to play against good competition everyday.

Fulkerson and Pons both doing a better job of stepping up as leaders. As only two seniors on the team important that they do that.

Corey Walker has to get in better shape.

Cautioned that he didn't know anything for sure and everything is preliminary but optimistic they will start season on time, Nov. 11. Added that it was all hypothetical, but with school being out after Thanksgiving and for all of December college basketball could do some sort of 'bubble situation ' if necessary.

Key takeaways (for me) in that article. And I will note this is all just opinion on my part.

1) Corey Walker will almost certainly redshirt. It seems like we're headed that way based on Barnes' comments about his offseason, which IMO is a good thing because we are plenty deep and will need Walker next year.

2) Uros "has to play lower" which to me sounds like he still isn't playing like a big man and is trying to hard to make outside shots. He is 7 feet. Please use that height Uros lol.

3) Interested to see what ORN's role will be this year. Barnes' was high on him last offseason too and is high on him now. I am interested to see if that actually translates to production or just soaking up minutes.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Key takeaways (for me) in that article. And I will note this is all just opinion on my part.

1) Corey Walker will almost certainly redshirt. It seems like we're headed that way based on Barnes' comments about his offseason, which IMO is a good thing because we are plenty deep and will need Walker next year.

2) Uros "has to play lower" which to me sounds like he still isn't playing like a big man and is trying to hard to make outside shots. He is 7 feet. Please use that height Uros lol.

3) Interested to see what ORN's role will be this year. Barnes' was high on him last offseason too and is high on him now. I am interested to see if that actually translates to production or just soaking up minutes.
2. I don’t think he meant lower as in where on the floor, sounded like he meant lower to the ground as in not being so upright and stiff.

2. I don’t think he meant lower as in where on the floor, sounded like he meant lower to the ground as in not being so upright and stiff.
Correct. He doesn't play with a wide enough base and therefore gets knocking off his spot. The result is he gets bad position when positing up and receives the ball in bad spots on the floor that make it much more difficult for him to score. I am just not sure he will ever be a back to the basket threat on offense. And if he is not, then how will he help on offense?

You might be right. That probably makes more sense. Uros just seemed to be a little soft last year and didn't capitalize on his frame so I took it a little differently, but your interpretation probably is more in line with what Barnes meant.

Correct. He doesn't play with a wide enough base and therefore gets knocking off his spot. The result is he gets bad position when positing up and receives the ball in bad spots on the floor that make it much more difficult for him to score. I am just not sure he will ever be a back to the basket threat on offense. And if he is not, then how will he help on offense?
Idk, he dropped nearly 20 points in a SEC game against a good frontline, mostly with back to the basket moves...I’m much more concerned about him defensively than offensively.

He won’t. If he can’t accept the fact that in the American game, he is a traditional PF/C, then he is a wasted scholarship.

He won’t. If he can’t accept the fact that in the American game, he is a traditional PF/C, then he is a wasted scholarship.
I think he will be better, stronger, and might surprise us a bit. We have to look at his layoff and realize that last year, in limited minutes, has little to do with what he can ultimately achieve.

I think he will be better, stronger, and might surprise us a bit. We have to look at his layoff and realize that last year, in limited minutes, has little to do with what he can ultimately achieve.
And Barnes’ speciality is player development. Gotta think he’s going to do some good for us. At 7’0 262lb, he’s gonna do something!

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back