Team News (current roster)

I almost want to see Pember, Gaines, AND ORN all redshirt. The other 10 are all very capable and only 5 can be on the court at once. Plavsic may not be at the same level as the other 9, but 7' plus can always be utilized in various combinations.

ORN looked really good early last year and Ticket contributed down the stretch, but both will see more opportunities after Fulk. Pons, and AJ graduate and JJJ, KJ, and/or JS leave early plus Bailey leaves in 2 years.
Everyone says Pember/Gaines but ORN is hands down the one I'd like to see get a redshirt. I think he's got the highest ceiling of all 3 of them.

Everyone says Pember/Gaines but ORN is hands down the one I'd like to see get a redshirt. I think he's got the highest ceiling of all 3 of them.
I think they’ll need him more than those others. He has an SEC ready physique unlike the others. The post is thin. I thought Barnes was too hard on him and his minutes, while giving others latitude.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
I'm pretty high on Gaines as well as ORN's potential. If you are redshirting the ones you can think can help you the most down the road then I think you redshirt Gaines and ORN and let Pember burn up another year of eligibility. As Roust said our lack of depth in the post may necessitate ORN playing some this year. Kind of depends on Walker's development and potential injuries.

I'm pretty high on Gaines as well as ORN's potential. If you are redshirting the ones you can think can help you the most down the road then I think you redshirt Gaines and ORN and let Pember burn up another year of eligibility. As Roust said our lack of depth in the post may necessitate ORN playing some this year. Kind of depends on Walker's development and potential injuries.
I don’t see much lack of depth in the post...

There’s 80 minutes total in the post...
Fulk 30
Pons 30
Anosike 20...and I have zero issue with Anosike getting a couple more minutes if needed.

then you’ve got JJJ who has played some point forward already in small ball lineups that can give minutes at the 4, Plavsic at the 5 against teams with a big 5 is another possibility. Barnes has shown he doesn’t play 11 guys, and probably not even 10 consistently, he likes a smaller rotation.

We'll still work from the post out when it's our best option I just feel our best unit offensively will be our guards and we're going to have to find shots for Johnson/Springer/JJJ/Vescovi. Johnson and Springer are best creating their own shots, JJJ is best at being physically stronger than most guards that guard him. Only Vescovi really benefits from playing through the post and that's the main reason I think our offense is going to look different this season. Luckily for us I believe that all of our guards are unselfish players so I could see a different leading scorer for us throughout the year. We're going to be top5 defensively if Pons returns, with that being our strength it only makes sense to speed our offense up a bit if we have the talent at guard to do so. I think we'll look similar to the great North Carolina team's style as that of Virginia which I see many comparing us to.
Fulky shot at a 0.612 clip last season and I’d bet that was closer to 70% the last half of the season. He put a lot of SEC bigs in foul trouble trying to guard him. I don’t see any way CRB goes away from that to having freshman jack up perimeter shots. JMO

I have a hard time believing that Vescovi won't be starting, but if he's gotten passed up by Bailey/ Springer, then that's good news. Same thing with JJJ. That's good news for our team. I feel really good about our top 8, and we just need either ON or Uros to be able to contribute something at the backup 5. Nkamhoua is more poised to do that imo. Gaines should certainly get a RS this year, and Pember will hopefully get one as well assuming we stay pretty healthy. Walker might be able to get a few minutes, but I doubt he's going to see big minutes off the bench.

Reactions: VOLED
Keon Johnson will be a starter. Too many reports from too many different sources of him being special & a different breed to believe he isn’t.
He very well could be. My lineup is representative of game 1, where I think Barnes will defer to veteran experience early on, which only leaves one spot at the 2G spot, likely between Springer and Johnson.

I also take the preseason reports with a boulder of salt. They almost never pan out to regular season results. I think KJ is really, really good, but I question some of the fluff in those articles.

As I said in my original prediction, the guard positions are a major logjam, and the Day 1 starters may look different by January. I think 7 or 8 guys could eventually see starter minutes, and I'll be shocked if more than 1 or 2 guys average more than 30 mpg.

Reactions: flowd82
I don’t see much lack of depth in the post...

There’s 80 minutes total in the post...
Fulk 30
Pons 30
Anosike 20...and I have zero issue with Anosike getting a couple more minutes if needed.

then you’ve got JJJ who has played some point forward already in small ball lineups that can give minutes at the 4, Plavsic at the 5 against teams with a big 5 is another possibility. Barnes has shown he doesn’t play 11 guys, and probably not even 10 consistently, he likes a smaller rotation.
I agree the top 3 there is strong. I think am issue of depth comes into play if one of those 3 gets injured, gets COVID, foul trouble, etc. There is a steep drop from those 3 to number 4, 5, and 6.

Wow, no JJJ in the starting lineup! I get that it is whoever finishes the game, but this surprises me. Just like last year, one of our weaknesses would appear to be rebounding.
We haven’t seen 1 minute from Bailey, Springer or Johnson...not sure it’s fair to question their rebounding ability.

I agree the top 3 there is strong. I think am issue of depth comes into play if one of those 3 gets injured, gets COVID, foul trouble, etc. There is a steep drop from those 3 to number 4, 5, and 6.
That can probably be said about any position on this team other than maybe the 2.

Didn’t we recently hear a report that Walker was way behind the other 2 freshmen in his development?
I doubt that he's way behind. I've read articles talking about his skill set and the hard work he's done on his game. He may or may not be as talented as Springer and Johnson, but I wouldn't sell him short. Plus, we've heard in recent years "reports" of guys like Derrick Walker who was the best player on their European trip. These things will work themselves out one way or the other.

We haven’t seen 1 minute from Bailey, Springer or Johnson...not sure it’s fair to question their rebounding ability.

Not really questioning their ability to rebound, but I am saying that we would be small. Even jumping jacks have trouble rebounding against bigger, stronger teams.

That can probably be said about any position on this team other than maybe the 2.
Sure, if you are thinking about it from a 5 position (PG,SG,SG/SF, PF,C/PF) perspective. I’m thinking about it from a 2 position (Guard, Forward).
We are flush with talented players that can play any one of three positions, PG-SG-SG/SF.
JJJ,Vescovi, Bailey, Springer, Johnson...I think we feel pretty good with an combination of those five guys manning three spots. I’d even feel comfortable in certain situations with Pons and EJA stepping into that SF role as last options.
We are much thinner at the PF-PF/C positions with talent. 3 guys, already named, who you’d feel really comfortable with. After that, there’s a real drop off.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back