Team News (current roster)

I said that Barnes should redshirt 3 of those 4 players. The latest report I read was that Walker needed a lot of work to get ready for SEC ball, specifically he needed to get in shape and learn how to work harder. He may do that but like Bleeding said, is he going to be better than Pons, Fulky, Anosike, ORN? I hope he is better than all of them, but his odds are not good. The real argument I am making is that 3 out of 4 of those players are not going to be needed this year, barring injuries. They will all have an uphill battle for playing time this season.
I prefer to let a kid prove himself with his actions, instead of the speculation.

Don't let the Bailey haters/doubters see this. They'll think something is wrong with Springer or Vescovi.
Some people apparently know the facts with Bailey. If they do, good for them. I have no idea how it will shake out, so I like my stupid status.

My point is what basis does ANYONE have for saying redshirt Walker now. Do you know of a reason?

Decision doesn’t need to be made for another couple months, the reason would be depth but no reason to decide that right now. If Walker lights up practice and deserves big minutes then obviously he won’t redshirt.

He actually said he didn't think Vescovi would play. You might want to research that.
Wrong again. Prior to seeing him in person that was his thought, he said during the opening minutes of his first practice he told the assistants he was going to be the starter.

We’ve simply never heard any player in what will be Rick Barnes’ sixth year generate the kind of buzz that Keon Johnson has. I know we mentioned something similar a couple of weeks ago, but it bears repeating. No one has hit campus and caused the kind of stir Johnson has since I’ve been covering this team.

This is going to be a deep and talented team and the fight for minutes is going to be fierce. Based off what we’re hearing it sounds like E.J. Anosike will be the first front court player off the bench and he’ll get big minutes. Behind him Olivier Nkamhoua and Uros Plasvic will be fighting for whatever court time is left.

With the current situation there’s a good chance that the staff will be able to redshirt Drew Pember, which would be ideal for him and his development.
-VQ.

*to myself* Don’t get excited about offseason practice reports Don’t get excited about offseason practice reports Don’t get excited about offseason practice reports

I feel the same way! Hype in preseason has always been there. Let's hope this one is for real - I think it might be.

Reactions: Vol49er
If you want to hear the staff talk about Keon directly Desmond Oliver was just interviewed on Hyams yesterday and talked a little about him. Effusive praise. Said how rare it was for a freshman to come in with a combination of elite athleticism (not just jumping, quickness and all around athleticism) and want to on the both ends-especially defense. Hard not to be excited about him. Apparently Rob Lewis said on radio recently you could write it in stone that Keon would be starting game 1. Link to interview below

SportsTalk Podcasts

Sounds like walker could potentially redshirt as well if that depth chart turns out to be accurate

My thinking is Walker will get spot minutes with foul trouble (like Derrick Walker his first year here). I’d be shocked if he gets anything over 10 mpg.

My thinking is Walker will get spot minutes with foul trouble (like Derrick Walker his first year here). I’d be shocked if he gets anything over 10 mpg.

I agree, I think he’ll get enough of those foul trouble and garbage time minutes to not redshirt. It’ll be interesting to see if he ends up passing Nkamhoua in the rotation at the 4 at some point in the season.

I think that begs the question then, would you rather save that year of eligibility and redshirt him? If that’s what’s he going to give you, not sure the difference from him to Plavsic or ORN costs you any games, if that’s the case I would save the year.

I agree, I think he’ll get enough of those foul trouble and garbage time minutes to not redshirt. It’ll be interesting to see if he ends up passing Nkamhoua in the rotation at the 4 at some point in the season.
Hard to see both getting minutes, that’s for sure...so if staff feels “good” about ORN, that could lead them to redshirting Walker thus hopefully keeping both guys happy/around.

VN Store

Back