Team News (current roster)

I think Coach Barnes will play full pressure man to man defense for the entire game and you could see Tennessee run a lot more with the deep roster this upcoming season.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Hard to see both getting minutes, that’s for sure...so if staff feels “good” about ORN, that could lead them to redshirting Walker thus hopefully keeping both guys happy/around.

Who has Barnes redshirted since he has been here? I don't recall anyone except for injuries. I would be very surprised if Walker would want a redshirt.

Who has Barnes redshirted since he has been here? I don't recall anyone except for injuries. I would be very surprised if Walker would want a redshirt.
Kent did, you can call it injury but most people realize what happened. He said they wanted to redshirt Alexander but depth wouldn’t allow, same for Pember this year. Look for him to redshirt this year though, not sure if Gaines or Walker are open to it.

There's a strong possibility that Walker could be 3 and done, so CRB might as well utilize him this coming season even if he averages 5 mpg.

Reactions: VOLED
There's a strong possibility that Walker could be 3 and done, so CRB might as well utilize him this coming season even if he averages 5 mpg.

Whether he does or doesn't go after 3 years, how many top 60 players stay 5 years? Excluding injury, I bet virtually none.

Whether he does or doesn't go after 3 years, how many top 60 players stay 5 years? Excluding injury, I bet virtually none.
A substantial chunk of Pearl's players....

Plus McRae, Stokes, and Hubbs.

And these are just UT players...

Actually that is more in line with what I was thinking. Walker could very well be here for 4 years, but 5 isn't likely. I think he'd be highly likely to only play 3 more years after redshirting, so he might as well be used in the rotation in 2020-21 even if only for 5 mpg.

Reactions: VOLED
I’m outrageously excited about this Vols squad. Barring injuries or a failure to jell, this should be the best UT men’s basketball team since maybe the Bernie/Ernie days. I mean, I loved the Lofton and Smith teams. The 2006-07 team had a shot at the title had it held on against OSU in the second half but that team could beat or lose to anyone depending on how the players were shooting that day. I also loved the 2017-18 and 2018-19 teams with Williams, Schofield, Bone, Alexander, etc., but that team could beat any team or lose to most any team. I think the 2006-07 team had the higher ceiling but also a lower floor whereas the latter two teams had lower ceilings but higher floors than 2006-07. I expect the 2020-21 team to have the highest ceiling of all. UT actually has at least three NBA players on the roster (JJJ, Johnson, and Springer) + other guys with pro (NBA or abroad) potential in Walker, Pons, Fulkerson, and Bailey. Without wanting to invite a debate about whether it should happen or not, I’d be more than fine with trading the fall football season to get to play basketball this year. I never thought as a Vols basketball fan that we could have honest to god national championship expectations and yet here we are and it looks like Barnes may land another stellar recruiting class next year. GBO!

I’m outrageously excited about this Vols squad. Barring injuries or a failure to jell, this should be the best UT men’s basketball team since maybe the Bernie/Ernie days. I mean, I loved the Lofton and Smith teams. The 2006-07 team had a shot at the title had it held on against OSU in the second half but that team could beat or lose to anyone depending on how the players were shooting that day. I also loved the 2017-18 and 2018-19 teams with Williams, Schofield, Bone, Alexander, etc., but that team could beat any team or lose to most any team. I think the 2006-07 team had the higher ceiling but also a lower floor whereas the latter two teams had lower ceilings but higher floors than 2006-07. I expect the 2020-21 team to have the highest ceiling of all. UT actually has at least three NBA players on the roster (JJJ, Johnson, and Springer) + other guys with pro (NBA or abroad) potential in Walker, Pons, Fulkerson, and Bailey. Without wanting to invite a debate about whether it should happen or not, I’d be more than fine with trading the fall football season to get to play basketball this year. I never thought as a Vols basketball fan that we could have honest to god national championship expectations and yet here we are and it looks like Barnes may land another stellar recruiting class next year. GBO!
I’ve been worried that there won’t be a second star that can take over a game on offense if Fulk is off or fouls out (think Admiral against Gonzaga two years ago when Grant fouled out). But if the reports are to be believed about Keon maybe he can be that guy year 1

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I’ve been worried that there won’t be a second star that can take over a game on offense if Fulk is off or fouls out (think Admiral against Gonzaga two years ago when Grant fouled out). But if the reports are to be believed about Keon maybe he can be that guy year 1

I think Keon will make his share of big plays, but Vescovi will hit more than his share. Go ahead and write it down, he is a clutch player.

I think the offense will start with Fulky but he is not the star Grant was. No disrespect to Fulky, but imo he won’t be asked to do what Grant did late in the game when we need a bucket. With Pons,JJJ, Vescovi and the freshman it will be a very balanced offense where matchups and who has the hot hand will dictate how the end of the game plays out.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I think the offense will start with Fulky but he is not the star Grant was. No disrespect to Fulky, but imo he won’t be asked to do what Grant did late in the game when we need a bucket. With Pons,JJJ, Vescovi and the freshman it will be a very balanced offense where matchups and who has the hot hand will dictate how the end of the game plays out.
My point was not to compare Fulk with Grant. I’m more so worried about the times from last season repeating themselves where (after Turner went out) nobody seemed to want the ball on offense at the end of the game. JJJ was sometimes an exception. I know we will have a lot of solid options for scoring but I’m worried about having enough alphas who will be willing and able to take the game deciding shots in the last 90 seconds

My point was not to compare Fulk with Grant. I’m more so worried about the times from last season repeating themselves where (after Turner went out) nobody seemed to want the ball on offense at the end of the game. JJJ was sometimes an exception. I know we will have a lot of solid options for scoring but I’m worried about having enough alphas who will be willing and able to take the game deciding shots in the last 90 seconds
I understand your point but i think we may have three or four that will take the last shot. Now...like Turner? Probably not on that level but I think we'll be ok there. Fulk seemed like a completely changed man last half of season and i think he's taking leadership seriously. At least I hope so too.

Barnes has been very vocal about wanting his PG’s to get the ball up the court, and we are well aware of how much he appreciates defense. Continues to sound to me like Bailey will be the starting PG and see big minutes.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

VN Store

Back