Team News (current roster)

Wow, no JJJ in the starting lineup! I get that it is whoever finishes the game, but this surprises me. Just like last year, one of our weaknesses would appear to be rebounding.
Zero chance that JJJ is not starting if he's healthy. Not only do I think he starts I think he's going to log the most minutes played as well. I think Barnes is going to run the offense through JJJ, he's one of our best rebounders and probably our best perimeter defender on the team. He'll match up nightly with the teams opposing best players. No way I see Bailey taking that role over unless JJJ isn't healthy.

Reactions: VOLED
FWIW sounds like VQ thinks...

Bailey
Springer
Johnson
Pons
Fulk

Is your starting 5, with Vescovi/JJJ/Anosike first off the bench.
If JJJ is healthy, not only is he starting but he's likely guarding the other team's best player and running the offense as a point forward.

Just saw Keon get a comparison to Ron Artest. Not sure how I feel about that.
Really? I guess perhaps their games and skills could be similar, but there are probably a hundred better comps with similar skillsets that would make a better physical comparison. Artest outweighed Keon Johnson by 60 lbs, even in college. Artest seems like a better comp for Jerrone Maymon or Admiral Schofield than Keon Johnson.

I would fast break from the start of the game on the offensive end and Anosike will help Fulkerson and Pons become elite rebounders while Nkamhoub or Pember probably gets red shirted this season.

Really? I guess perhaps their games and skills could be similar, but there are probably a hundred better comps with similar skillsets that would make a better physical comparison. Artest outweighed Keon Johnson by 60 lbs, even in college. Artest seems like a better comp for Jerrone Maymon or Admiral Schofield than Keon Johnson.
Yup, that’s what they said here. They also gave a Jaylen Brown comparison which I probably like more.
Keon Johnson - NBA Draft Room

I mean, if he’s being compared to Ron....

Attachments

• B58109FC-4106-4F9D-B707-ABBE2E6DB57D.jpeg
    B58109FC-4106-4F9D-B707-ABBE2E6DB57D.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 8
Only time will tell, but I think you’re discounting Gaines if you think ORN has more potential

Agreed.

I think Gaines needs to figure out what works for him on offense, but he has tremendous upside. I'm just doubting that he is quite ready to put it all together this year. That, and a bit more weight and strength are needed.

I just don't see the need to play any of Walker, ORN, Gaines, or Pember this year. If I was Barnes, I would redshirt 3 of them, barring injury. Not only do you already have 9 SEC level players outside of those 4 (Plavsic needs to prove a bit still), but it also sets up the next season very well with some veteran presence mixed in with hopefully more 5 star talent. I could see a case for either Gaines or ORN getting to play over Walker.

2020-2021
Bailey
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Johnson
Walker (or ORN)
Pons
Anosike
Fulky
Plavsic

2021-2022
Bailey
Vescovi
Walker
ORN
Gaines
Pember
Any of JJJ/Springer/Johnson return
Chandler???
Banchero???
Smith???

I would take both of these rosters today. As it has been said before, Barnes really only plays 8-9 (10 max) anyway.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Agreed.

I think Gaines needs to figure out what works for him on offense, but he has tremendous upside. I'm just doubting that he is quite ready to put it all together this year. That, and a bit more weight and strength are needed.
I agree. ORN got our hopes up early last year, but I think years 3 and 4 for him will be where he will be of more help.

Reactions: i2amavol
I just don't see the need to play any of Walker, ORN, Gaines, or Pember this year. If I was Barnes, I would redshirt 3 of them, barring injury. Not only do you already have 9 SEC level players outside of those 4 (Plavsic needs to prove a bit still), but it also sets up the next season very well with some veteran presence mixed in with hopefully more 5 star talent. I could see a case for either Gaines or ORN getting to play over Walker.

2020-2021
Bailey
Vescovi
JJJ
Springer
Johnson
Walker (or ORN)
Pons
Anosike
Fulky
Plavsic

2021-2022
Bailey
Vescovi
Walker
ORN
Gaines
Pember
Any of JJJ/Springer/Johnson return
Chandler???
Banchero???
Smith???

I would take both of these rosters today. As it has been said before, Barnes really only plays 8-9 (10 max) anyway.
You don't see the need to play Walker? Based on what?

I am quite sure even Barnes has not come close to making that observation yet. The key words here are "he predicts." Pure speculation.

You don't see the need to play Walker? Based on what?
It depends on how good he is? Is he better than Anosike? Sure seems unlikely he’s better than Pons or Fulky.

Would seem like Bailey, Vescovi, Johnson, Springer, James, Pons, Anosike and Fulk...seems likely those are your Top 7 in some order, only leaves room for 1-2 more guys if we agree Barnes is likely to continue going with 8-9 man rotations, like he has even when he’s had depth.

Reactions: TennaciousD957
I am quite sure even Barnes has not come close to making that observation yet. The key words here are "he predicts." Pure speculation.
I would say you’re wrong. Day 1 of practice seeing Vescovi Barnes said he knew he was their PG, I would say he’s got a pretty good idea of what each position looks like.

It depends on how good he is? Is he better than Anosike? Sure seems unlikely he’s better than Pons or Fulky.

Would seem like Bailey, Vescovi, Johnson, Springer, James, Pons, Anosike and Fulk...seems likely those are your Top 7 in some order, only leaves room for 1-2 more guys if we agree Barnes is likely to continue going with 8-9 man rotations, like he has even when he’s had depth.
My point is what basis does ANYONE have for saying redshirt Walker now. Do you know of a reason?

I would say you’re wrong. Day 1 of practice seeing Vescovi Barnes said he knew he was their PG, I would say he’s got a pretty good idea of what each position looks like.
He actually said he didn't think Vescovi would play. You might want to research that.

My point is what basis does ANYONE have for saying redshirt Walker now. Do you know of a reason?

I said that Barnes should redshirt 3 of those 4 players. The latest report I read was that Walker needed a lot of work to get ready for SEC ball, specifically he needed to get in shape and learn how to work harder. He may do that but like Bleeding said, is he going to be better than Pons, Fulky, Anosike, ORN? I hope he is better than all of them, but his odds are not good. The real argument I am making is that 3 out of 4 of those players are not going to be needed this year, barring injuries. They will all have an uphill battle for playing time this season.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back