Team News (current roster)

As for the guys on campus, while they’re only doing strength and conditioning workouts right now, the buzz we’ve picked up is that both Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer look the part top shelf prospects who could make a big impact as freshmen. We’ve heard strong reports of both their athleticism and work ethic.
-VQ.

For what it’s worth, I just made a delivery to Drew Pember, and he seemed perfectly fine. If he did have Covid, he’s either asymptomatic or recovered.

Correct - the long term effects are not known right now. Perhaps you survive it, but your lungs or kidneys are such that you have issues down the road. Or perhaps you have underlying conditions that you weren't aware of. I assume China knows more about this virus than anyone else, and it is clearly doing everything it can to keep it from spreading there. That tells me a lot about what they think the long term effects might be.
Uh, what direct insight do you have to how China is dealing with it?

From Basilio's Blog this morning:

Summer Hoops Update:
spacer.gif
I alluded to this on the air yesterday on the show. Before you accuse me of hyperbole let me state for the record that if you've read this blog through the years, you know that around this time each summer I poke around and try to figure out what's what from both Tennessee football and basketball. That said this is easily the most bullish my sources have been on Tennessee since the early Bruce Pearl days. Of course back then we all could see the team as they were dispersed throughout the dearly departed Rocky Top League. So now that you've gotten the pre-amble it's onto today's Tennessee Basketball update.

I'm hearing from multiple people that Keon Johnson is "easily" the best player on roster. Keon's work ethic is off the charts as expected. Works like a pro on his own. Even took guys like Admiral Schofield and Lamonte Turner a little while to learn how to work but Keon arrived with a keen understanding of what Rick Barnes and staff are looking for.

Jaden Springer is better than they thought and is already one of the Vols better players as well. I was told that he's arrived in C+ condition and is going to have to ramp it up in the coming weeks in this department.

There is concern that neither Keon or Springer are vocal leaders and though they will probably end up as 2 of best players on the team, they're going to need to lead vocally as well as by their play. It seems some inside of UT's program want the youngsters to become more vocal as they take over the leadership of the team.
http://www.beardenhillfieldhouse.com/
Victor Bailey has been very impressive too since getting back. It seems Bailey has taken the challenge of the pace that's been set by the both Johnson and Springer.
I'm sorry to share that it seems as of this report, Corey Walker the other freshman in this illustrious class, is a long way away from cracking Tennessee's rotation. I've been told that Walker shows promise but has a lot of work to do with getting the game at this level to slow down for him.

Transfer AJ Anosike has been impressive early on. Both Anosike and Springer need to get in a lot better shape though. Vescovi and Plavsic not here yet. They were both originally due to arrive in Knoxville a few weeks back. The hope is that both will be able to get here soon. Even with the absence of two of the three international players on the roster it's not too early to peek ahead at what the rotation could look like.

Vescovi, Springer, Keon, JJJ, Bailey, Fulky, Anosike, Pons if he comes back sound like they will be the 8 players Tennessee will rely on. Of course Plavy will get some time as he continues to grow into the game at this level.

From Basilio's Blog this morning:

Summer Hoops Update:
spacer.gif
I alluded to this on the air yesterday on the show. Before you accuse me of hyperbole let me state for the record that if you've read this blog through the years, you know that around this time each summer I poke around and try to figure out what's what from both Tennessee football and basketball. That said this is easily the most bullish my sources have been on Tennessee since the early Bruce Pearl days. Of course back then we all could see the team as they were dispersed throughout the dearly departed Rocky Top League. So now that you've gotten the pre-amble it's onto today's Tennessee Basketball update.
I'm hearing from multiple people that Keon Johnson is "easily" the best player on roster. Keon's work ethic is off the charts as expected. Works like a pro on his own. Even took guys like Admiral Schofield and Lamonte Turner a little while to learn how to work but Keon arrived with a keen understanding of what Rick Barnes and staff are looking for.

Jaden Springer is better than they thought and is already one of the Vols better players as well. I was told that he's arrived in C+ condition and is going to have to ramp it up in the coming weeks in this department.
There is concern that neither Keon or Springer are vocal leaders and though they will probably end up as 2 of best players on the team, they're going to need to lead vocally as well as by their play. It seems some inside of UT's program want the youngsters to become more vocal as they take over the leadership of the team.
Victor Bailey has been very impressive too since getting back. It seems Bailey has taken the challenge of the pace that's been set by the both Johnson and Springer.
I'm sorry to share that it seems as of this report, Corey Walker the other freshman in this illustrious class, is a long way away from cracking Tennessee's rotation. I've been told that Walker shows promise but has a lot of work to do with getting the game at this level to slow down for him.

Transfer AJ Anosike has been impressive early on. Both Anosike and Springer need to get in a lot better shape though. Vescovi and Plavsic not here yet. They were both originally due to arrive in Knoxville a few weeks back. The hope is that both will be able to get here soon. Even with the absence of two of the three international players on the roster it's not too early to peek ahead at what the rotation could look like.

Vescovi, Springer, Keon, JJJ, Bailey, Fulky, Anosike, Pons if he comes back sound like they will be the 8 players Tennessee will rely on. Of course Plavy will get some time as he continues to grow into the game at this level.
Definitely think there's some hyperbole in this, but even toning down some of what TB wrote here, it has me excited. More for Keon than anything.

That kid is going to be special. Elite defender.

Reactions: Vols All Day
That TB post got me thinking... who is the leader of this year's team? 2 years ago everyone knew it was Grant and Admiral. Last year I'd say it was LT until the injury.

Really excited for Keon. I think there’s a fair chance he could be a one and done. he’s already shown up in the middle of the first round in some mock drafts. Already an elite defender with truly elite athleticism. Also seems to have a tenacity that you can’t teach. Seems like the better competition he goes against (like USA basketball) the more he excels.

He says that 2 of 3 international players on the roster aren't here. He's either sent Pons to the NBA or given ORN US citizenship.

He says that 2 of 3 international players on the roster aren't here. He's either sent Pons to the NBA or given ORN US citizenship.
My guess is that it is either...
A.) An oversight (typo)
B.) They aren't considering Nkamhoua an international player in this instance since he lives in the states with his family, and didn't return to a foreign country during the quarantine period.

My guess is B.

Really excited for Keon. I think there’s a fair chance he could be a one and done. he’s already shown up in the middle of the first round in some mock drafts. Already an elite defender with truly elite athleticism. Also seems to have a tenacity that you can’t teach. Seems like the better competition he goes against (like USA basketball) the more he excels.
My only concerns for Keon are going to be how thin he is for his height (6-5, 186 lbs), and the fact that he hasn't played much organized basketball in a long time due to injury. He isn't Davonte Gaines-level skinny, but he isn't Josiah-Jordan James-level built, either, and the adjustment from small school Tennessee HS basketball to high-major D1 basketball, over the course of an entire season, could prove to be a bit of an uphill climb.

Those are the things I could see hindering his path to a one-and-done type season. It isn't a question of talent, and maybe he overcomes both of those hurdles without a hitch solely based on his elite athleticism. Just saying, if something does slow him down, I can see it being either of those two things.

My only concerns for Keon are going to be how thin he is for his height (6-5, 186 lbs), and the fact that he hasn't played much organized basketball in a long time due to injury. He isn't Davonte Gaines-level skinny, but he isn't Josiah-Jordan James-level built, either, and the adjustment from small school Tennessee HS basketball to high-major D1 basketball, over the course of an entire season, could prove to be a bit of an uphill climb.

Those are the things I could see hindering his path to a one-and-done type season. It isn't a question of talent, and maybe he overcomes both of those hurdles without a hitch solely based on his elite athleticism. Just saying, if something does slow him down, I can see it being either of those two things.

He’s plenty physical don’t worry about that

Pons, Fulk, and JJJ. Bailey and SV as well.
That's a lot of leaders. I think we have a lot of guys that lead in different ways, and that's a good thing. I think we're just going to have to discover who it is at the end of a game in a pressure situation that demands the ball.

That's a lot of leaders. I think we have a lot of guys that lead in different ways, and that's a good thing. I think we're just going to have to discover who it is at the end of a game in a pressure situation that demands the ball.

I think of those 5 Bailey might be the Alpha Dog, but he's not played a single minute. If JJJ loses the Beta tendencies a Final Four will be a strong possibility.

Reactions: whodeycin85
He’s plenty physical don’t worry about that
I'm not worried about it. I just see it as a potential concern that could take him time to adjust to and stunt his development towards a one-and-done type season. JJJ was listed as 6-6, 207 as a freshman. Johnson is listed as 6-5, 186 as a freshman.

You and I have already engaged in this conversation before, so no need to rehash it. You disagree, and that's fine. I'm just saying we have seen it be an issue for highly-touted freshmen in the past, and I won't be shocked if it is for KJ, as well. I also won't be shocked if he overcomes it with his athleticism, either.

Reactions: cardvolfan

I think he plays above his listed height and weight because of his tenacity and athleticism especially defensively. He already plays with great strength at his current weight. Not sure exactly but he appears to have a pretty good wingspan. His body reminds me of a shorter Paul George in college, both have a strong wirey frame, Keon should be able to add strength appropriately as he gets older.

I just hope he comes back healthy from his last knee injury. I wonder how close to 100% he is now

My guess is that it is either...
A.) An oversight (typo)
B.) They aren't considering Nkamhoua an international player in this instance since he lives in the states with his family, and didn't return to a foreign country during the quarantine period.

My guess is B.

I think this has already been clarified, but I’ve read from multiple places Pons is working out on campus. And I agree with your guess, B.

Assuming Basilio’s report is accurate (which who knows) it’s honestly probably a good thing Walker isn’t ready for the rotation yet. We’re going to be deep this year and giving him time to adjust to the speed of the game, without pressing him for minutes he isn’t ready for, will pay huge dividends when the 2021 class gets to campus, assuming we lose 1-2 of Keon and Jaden, plus Fulky, Pons, and Anosike.

Assuming Basilio’s report is accurate (which who knows) it’s honestly probably a good thing Walker isn’t ready for the rotation yet. We’re going to be deep this year and giving him time to adjust to the speed of the game, without pressing him for minutes he isn’t ready for, will pay huge dividends when the 2021 class gets to campus, assuming we lose 1-2 of Keon and Jaden, plus Fulky, Pons, and Anosike.
I kind of hope we lose both Keon and Jaden.

Really got my hopes up for Chandler, Jahmai, Banchero and Smith. Those 4 with Vescovi and JJJ, walker, etc. would be sure final 4

Yes im excited for this years team, just expressing an opinion is all.

I kind of hope we lose both Keon and Jaden.

Really got my hopes up for Chandler, Jahmai, Banchero and Smith. Those 4 with Vescovi and JJJ, walker, etc. would be sure final 4

Yes im excited for this years team, just expressing an opinion is all.

Are you saying the only way we get those 4 (who is Jahmai?) is if Keon and Jaden leave early? If we were to get those 4 guys, they'll be signed, sealed, and delivered long before Keon and Jaden announce any intentions of leaving early.

Are you saying the only way we get those 4 (who is Jahmai?) is if Keon and Jaden leave early? If we were to get those 4 guys, they'll be signed, sealed, and delivered long before Keon and Jaden announce any intentions of leaving early.
Came off wrong.
Jahmai? The guard we just offered lol

VN Store

Back